Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well after some careful consideration, I've decided to cancel my 3-week September riding trip down to the Maxi-Scoot Meetup and the Scooting The Ozarks events, both in Arkansas.

My thinking is this....
In a three-week trip;
  1. I'd be staying in 14 different hotels/motels and are their cleaning standards up to snuff?
  2. I'd be eating at least at 65-70 different restaurants/eateries. Are they social distancing/cleaning properly.
  3. I'd be getting at least 30-35 tanks of gas at different stations.
  4. And politically, I'd be dealing with states that have tried to control the pandemic, and also states that have simply said screw it, let people do as they please and d-a-m-n the risks.
  5. All of this taking place in a country that seems not to want to listen to the CDC and their own superb medical/scientific professionals, nor their best advice and guidelines.
  6. Some pre-existing medical conditions put me on the high-risk list
  7. If Canada still has a "Travel Advisory" listed for the USA, then my out-of-country medical coverage (which is private insurance) would be void.
So all-in-all, I've decided that the health risks are simply not warranted, and while this is still early to make a decision (roughly 4 months away), I frankly don't expect things to get much better. In fact I fear they will get a whole batch worse. And that's before the expected 2nd wave hits in the fall.

And lastly, by cancelling early all my reservations can be cancelled without financial penalty and I'll have time to plan some local riding here at home. I'm going to miss meeting up with old friends, and meeting new ones, but mother nature seemed to have other plans for us. Maybe next year!

salud
Steve

·
Premium Member
3,081 Posts
I’d call you a little sissy but you stand seven foot tall and make a lot of sense.
Maybe next year.

Reactions: hscohen

·
Registered
538 Posts
I hear you.

In a much smaller scale, this year will lack the annual 3-days IHMS* rally (meetup? what's the difference?) for the first time from 2001. And it just hurts, as i see some friends just one a year, there.
While we could do it even in July or - if picking a nothern/elevated location - even in august, we all have the same struggle you have (insurance apart). So sad.

* It.Hobby.Motociclismo.Scooter , as our "club" was a scooter newsgroup :) .

Reactions: Steve_YYZ

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
You are a WISE MAN Steve !!!
I am immunocompromised as well, presently still in one battle, I really love to ride but love breathing even more. I reside 30 minutes from U.S/Canada border and would normally do most of my riding in NY state, Vermont, NH and Maine, now with borders closed and COVID-19 rampant, sanitary or unsanitary conditions etc. etc. etc. as you elaborated so well life has totally changed. The combination of Covid-19, health concerns and my wife of nearly 50 years extreme concerns all this is pressuring me to park the bike for this year, so decisions, decisions, decisions, decisions ! o_O :cautious: :unsure:

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I think that's wise. With science and medical experts being ignored and a significant number of people still insisting it's all a hoax, I believe we're in for a rough ride ahead through the winter. I'm sure you'll find some fine roads closer to you.

·
Administrator
18,347 Posts
Per the OP all thread drifted posts have been removed.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Boy.... did this thread of mine go off track! Hijacked at gun point!!!!

Would the Admins or Moderators PLEASE delete all posts from and including #7 onwards.

Thanks!!!! 🤬🤬🤬🤬

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Per the OP all thread drifted posts have been removed.
Thank you. I hate the dreaded "censorship" but when it starts down the slippery slope of politics and political views, that is what I tried to avoid with my OP. My reasons were health, not political. Thanks.

BTW, for those who ended up going political on this, why not head to The Tavern and blast away at each other!

·
Premium Member
3,081 Posts
I keeping my widdle head here for the snits and giggles ..... I don’t know if I made myself clear but I think your reasoning for stepping out of all the dangers and uncertainties is a good call. Stay Safe !

·
Registered
408 Posts
Everybody' has to make that call for themselves. There's no way anyone can know all your risk factors and your willingness to take those risks. Personally, I don't blame you. There are still too many unknowns with this thing.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Maybe would have been better to have posted this thread in the Rallies and Gatherings forum to begin with?

~ Be careful ... stay healthy everyone! ~

·
Premium Member
3,081 Posts
I’m with you Maggie, Arkansas hasn’t been locked down for the Pandemic yet.
I still want to ride that area but also wanted to pester Steve_YYZ for his photographic know how.

I think the reason Steve posted in an Isolated Thread was his effort not to dampen the spirits of the other riders.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I’m with you Maggie, Arkansas hasn’t been locked down for the Pandemic yet.
I still want to ride that area but also wanted to pester Steve_YYZ for his photographic know how.

I think the reason Steve posted in an Isolated Thread was his effort not to dampen the spirits of the other riders.
Oh you can pester me here..... by PM if necessary.

And you're correct, I think everyone should make their own personal decision based on their assessment of their own situation. Because for me, it's not just the riding, but the group dinners, lunches, neat restaurants, sitting around sipping a few cold ones in the evening, etc.

How do we do "this" with social distancing?

Or have dinner with friends? No social distancing here or even possible.
As the saying goes, I'd sooner live to fight/ride another day, because this too will pass!

thanks
Steve

·
Administrator
18,347 Posts
I think that someone needs to call the cops on those 4 shady characters at that table. Their up to NO GOOD.

·
Premium Member
3,081 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts