Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...but I'm beginning to think that real comfort, for me anyway, is unattainable without dropping a grand on seats/backrests/bar risers, etc. I'm sort of close; the Givi 'shield and AirHawk pad work great, but the whole backrest-vs-reach to the bars thing is so frustrating!
I have a Bearcat (great service, good product, helpful communication, no complaints about the company at all) that I just can't seem to make work for me: it's too far back, I nearly can't reach the bars. I inserted dowels in the mounting bars to bring it forward, but the bars themselves dig into my hip bones before the pad touches my back (Look at a Bearcat from the side, the mounting bars' curve is indeed further forward than the pad...).
I'm 60 & what you might call physically average: 6', 180#, average arm & leg length (just not a lot of, ahem, "extra padding" due to hitting the gym 6 days/week; in fact, were I possessed of more "adipose inventory", I suspect the Bearcat, even in its rearmost position, might work better). At any rate, sitting on a bone-stock 400, the riding position feels about right: plenty of leg room, arms comfortably bent...just need that AirHawk under me and a backrest behind me.
FWIW, I had a Utopia on my Gold Wing; good support but it doesn't breathe at all; big, wet rectangular sweat-stain after every ride (the Corbin and even the Bearcat at least have openings for air; c'mon already, Utopia!).
I guess my next move will be to visit an upholstery shop & see if they can mount a pad (in a complimenting cover material because I just can't ride a bike that looks "cobbled-together") onto the front of the Bearcat's pad, see if that brings the thing forward enough (hopefully without the need for up-&-back bar risers).
Methinks this would all be avoidable if bike manufacturers would just put the good stuff on to begin with...but I wonder if RCP could supply all the Day-Long saddles that even one of the big 4 Japanese builders would need, lol!!
Oh well, on with the search for comfort... <sigh>...

·
Registered
748 Posts
I had to heat up the bars for the backrest and bend mine forward. Maybe that's part of your problem? Before that I raised up the stock butt rest about an inch and I loved it, but I just got the backrest and wanted to use it, so I never gave the modded butt rest a fair chance.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have a 3brothersperformance backrest riser. I bought mine off eBay, but they dont have any listed now. I bought mine about a year ago, and what I like best is it keeps uses and uses the stock adjuster and simply raises the buttrest up 4" so it hits me just above the belt. The curve of the buttrest is perfect. Before I rode with the buttrest all the way back, with this it's in the middle,of the adjustment.
http://host.jwcinc.net/2472/3brothersperformance/400br.html

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
P.M. sent.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I have a 3brothersperformance backrest riser. I bought mine off eBay, but they dont have any listed now. I bought mine about a year ago, and what I like best is it keeps uses and uses the stock adjuster and simply raises the buttrest up 4" so it hits me just above the belt. The curve of the buttrest is perfect. Before I rode with the buttrest all the way back, with this it's in the middle,of the adjustment.
http://host.jwcinc.net/2472/3brothersperformance/400br.html
I have the very same one.and find it to be just perfect!!!!!! Support where I need it...... lower back.. and not my butt at all......

·
Registered
66 Posts
It is more likely you want something you won't achieve...total comfort. Instead of spending many $$$$$ and probably still coming up short. Just get off the bike and walk around a bit when you are tired or take a longer break. You will be better off and so will your wallet.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I just my back rest off Ebay. It uses the stock butt-rest and has a small lower pad that uses the original bracket. I really like it. I'm 6'2" and it makes the rides around town a lot more better more. For about $60, I think it's a great addition.
I have yet to take a long ride but am sure it will be great. (Doesn't fix the sweaty back though, unless you change the material -maybe).
Look for seller "ezntexas"

·
Registered
724 Posts
I'm leaning towards the EZNTexas version. Will it be adjustable after installation? At 5'11" will the backrest from EZNtexas work for me?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts