Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have had the most glorious weather this past week and I had the full intention of going up to Helen, Ga. for their Bike Rally weekend. It all started out well enough as I rode out on the trusty 400 and for some unknown reason I decided to cut through a nearby neighborhood that has some fun curves. Not even 4 miles into my ride and I couldn't believe my eyes...
There in that neighborhood was a pristine Blue HondaMatic for sale. I had to stop and after looking it over I went up and knocked on the door. An older handicapped man answered the door and we talked about the bike and it's history. I talked him down a couple hundred dollars and he followed me home and we finished the deal. I now again own a prisitne 1981 CM400A HondMatic. I love that quiet and smooth running engine with the 2 speed sewing machine transmission.
here is a picture of my new play bike.

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
Nice find, definitely a bike you don't see everyday.

·
Administrator
18,744 Posts
Nice. I had the use of one long time ago when a friend went stateside from Germany for 45 days. Took a while getting used to the auto at first. It was a city bike and not to be out on the Autobahn at 85+ MPH. More pictures please.

Safety tip, check the rivets on those wheels. There was a recall on the Honda Silverwing and Goldwing using those same Star wheels.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Great find and a beautiful bike!

I had a brand new CB 750A Hondamatic in 1976, it was candy lime and gorgeous. I enjoyed the auto-2 speed powerglide like trans: Take off in either low-#1 or high#2. I really wish I still had it:rolleyes: $1,750 new!

Sam:)

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The key for me was the factory Blue color with all the covers present and all indicator working. At $600 I just couldn't resist
Here are the other 2 pics I took Dave:

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Wow! nice find.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Wow, looks really clean for a 33 yo bike... And it still runs! Heck of a find. It's the burgman of its day. Congratulations.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Wow. Great find. I have my eye on a 400 Hondamatic with factory hard bags and trunk. Ya. If I could snag that puppy I'd be in heaven.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Congratulations - you're going to have a blast with it!

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
Congratulations on the new Ride, Steve.

For that price, Id've done the same myself.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Wow, a trip down memory lane for me. I put about 20K miles on its manual-transmission brother, a 1980 CM400T (body style was identical.)

As much as I loved my old Honda, it pales in comparison to a Burgman. Fuel economy: I got around 50-55. Range: with that tiny 1.7-gallon tank I was stopping every 80-85 miles, or less depending on the prospect of finding petrol! Mine had a luggage rack/passenger backrest, so I could strap things to that and carry some cargo, but not like a 50+ liter trunk.

A friend of mine had a Hondamatic like yours, and from what I understand his fuel economy was worse.

I'm very happy with the Burgman! But if I could get one of those cheap enough, I'd grab it just as you did. :) Congratulations.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This model has the same tank capacity as the Burgman at 3.4 Gallons and on my first tank got 64mpg so it has about a 180 mile range minimum. That is plenty for a mid-sized commuter bike. The weight surprisingly is the same at 385 lbs and so much more top heavy too. The ergonomics are very different from the Burgman but has the same seat height as the old 400's at 27". This is not going to be a touring bike for me at all. I don't trust chains or carburetors that much any more. It will be a charity ride, special events and show bike for me not my daily rider for sure!
This bike is a memory, a friend, a piece of history, and is fun to ride which really makes me smile. What else could you ask for from a $600 vehicle these days?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Great find. Hope you enjoy it for years. I had a Red 1978 Hondamatic 400 bought new in 1980. I should have kept it.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Scootereno it sure would be cool if you could find out that it truly was your old bike. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts