Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2013 Burgman 650 had its 600 mile service a few weeks ago. Here are my comments on that service:

1. Oil Level was 0.75 Quarts low per the manual for checking oil level. My Burg 650 didn't burn any oil for the first 600 miles. When i checked the oil level at 750 miles the Burg was 0.75 quarts low.

2. Front Brakes now squeak- they didn't squeak prior to the service

3. Other fluids- Did the dealer REALLY change those fluids and fill them up as recommended by Suzuki? I have my doubts.

Overall cost was $287 for the 600 mile service. I will NOT be using that service department for anything except warranty work.

My plan is to use the local scooter dealership and insist I observe the work being done or I will suck it up and do the gear oil change, transmission change myself.

This proves what most of you know already: DO YOUR OWN SERVICE WORK EVEN IF IT COSTS THE SAME AMOUNT OF MONEY.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I don't have a place to do my own oil changes. So the dealer does it. The bike has a complete computer history print out of what has been done to the bike. Heck it might be in a national data base. All the suzuki dealer has to do is reference your vin number.The same guy works on my bike every time, he knows my bike as I do. If I think something is wrong after they service it I take it back and they look at it right away. They stand by there work, doesn't your shop?

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't have a place to do my own oil changes. So the dealer does it. The bike has a complete computer history print out of what has been done to the bike. Heck it might be in a national data base. All the suzuki dealer has to do is reference your vin number.The same guy works on my bike every time, he knows my bike as I do. If I think something is wrong after they service it I take it back and they look at it right away. They stand by there work, doesn't your shop?
Sure. But, how do you explain the 0.75 quarts of missing oil? I'll plan on doing as much service work as possible.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
oil filter? and maybe he checks differently than you
I agree that the lack of oil was due to the filter and the fact he didn't check the oil on the wheels (off the stand) after running the engine for 3 minutes. The oil level reads higher when on the stand but the dealership should know these BASIC FACTS about the Burgman 650 which they have been servicing for 11 years.

There is no excuse for ignorance or sloppy work when the customer is paying $287 for a simple service visit.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
While I am a proponent of DIY servicing, this option is not open to all.

Have you discussed your misgivings and dissatisfaction with the Dealer Prinipal?

Give them the opportunity to sort things out.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I have had countless issues with Dealership service departments and I don't usually go there except for a tire change. I've had much better luck with independent motorcycle shops - which is not to say that they're all honest either. But a lot more of them are.

·
Registered
347 Posts

Have you discussed your misgivings and dissatisfaction with the Dealer Prinipal?

Spot on, the way it sounds, the dealer does't know there is an issue. I would at least give them the opportunity to address my concerns. It is the way I have to do it. I have a good relationship with the service dept. I drive it, they fix it when it needs it.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

I'm not interested in discussing the cost of ONE quart of oil with the dealership. I had the oil on hand and filled up the bike.
In the future I'll find an independent mechanic or do the work myself. For those who trust their service departments I still say trust but verify the work which includes checking the oil level prior to riding off the lot.

·
Registered
346 Posts
It's a bit far to come from Florida (unless you're looking for a good excuse for a road trip!), but Leeson's Motors in Bridgeport WV (off I-79 at Exit 119, then east 2 miles) has been an honest, family-owned shop for over 40 years.

Example 1 - I broke down by the side of the road a few years ago on my old V-Strom. I thought one of the coils was bad. The owner just happed to drive by and saw me and stopped. He loaded the bike onto his trailer and took me to the shop. Their initial opinion was the coil also. Estimated repair would have been a couple hundred $$ with parts & labor. When I came back to pick it up, the bill was $35, and no charge for the tow. Turns out one of the connections had come loose and they secured it.

Example 2 - With 20K miles on the VStrom, I figured the chain was about due to replace, even though I clean and lube it religiously. I stopped by and they checked it and told me it's good for at least another 10K. In the end, I changed it at 36K even though it still was within spec. They could have sold me a new one earlier, but they are honest.

There are honest shops out there.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Due to their very high prices I have not dealt with them much. They did honor a warranty on my battery, giving me a brand new one.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
It's a bit far to come from Florida (unless you're looking for a good excuse for a road trip!), but Leeson's Motors in Bridgeport WV (off I-79 at Exit 119, then east 2 miles) has been an honest, family-owned shop for over 40 years.
I am SO glad to hear you say good things about a dealership - particularly in a thread like this.

FOLKS: If there's a shop like this in your area, please remember that they can't stay open unless folks go there. We have to support the good shops if we expect them to survive.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I have a top notch shop in my area called DTR Motorsports. Nicest owner you could ever meet. His wife and son hang around the shop from time to time. The guys that work on the bike don't mind me riding in and waiting. No matter how long it takes. They stick the best they can to the initial quote. Little pricey, but definitely worth it. They also don't mind (or let me know if it does) that I like to hang around while they work on it and learn what they're doing to my bike. Heck, they even let me help if I know it a bit better then they do. Like how the plastic is put together. They mainly do sport bikes and race tune them but they don't give me a hard time with the scooter. Best shop I've come across yet.

·
Registered
252 Posts
When I bought my "cage" a decade ago, I was told it included a lifetime free oil change and tires. I didn't really need it as I serviced my own cars but it was included. First service was fine - get there and go free. Second service I was hit with a $250+ bill. Asked why and they said it was time for other services that were not free. I bit the bullet and just paid figuring it would be once in a while. Third service, they told me it would cost $600+. WHAT? When did that "Free" come in? They said the oil change was free, but the 6K service included "the works". If I went to an independent mechanic, they would laugh at such a suggestion, but Ford wanted to milk me dry. Needless to say, I declined their generous offer and drove away never to see the place again. I have met many many honest mechanics (Indys) and once had one stop by to help me jump a dead battery in a parking lot. When I offered to pay for his service, he declined and said he was off the clock, but recommended I replace the battery soon. I went down right after that to his shop and replaced it and asked the owner to pass on my gratitude to him.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Yep and you would think that in Florida, with a little searching, you could find some good options in independent scooter mechanics. Even if they were not Burgman experts you could let them use your service manual if you have one and they could catch on quickly.

Suzuki deserves some criticism for not being having oil level check done based on either the center stand or side stand or both. Requesting oil level to be checked while on wheels is just asking for trouble or having it done incorrectly.....which is probably what happened in this case.

·
Registered
735 Posts
650 service manual, page 2-13:

ENGINE OIL REPLACEMENT
* Keep the motorcycle upright with the center stand.

Nowhere in the oil-change procedure following this instruction, which is the first instruction, does it ever say to move the motorcycle off the center stand. I'm not sure why's there any debate about how to check the 650's motor oil level when this is how the factory service manual says to do it.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts