Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

Is the scooter your primary transportation?

• Yes - I have to use it all the time.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No - I use it only when the spirit moves me.

• Yes and no - I split my miles between the car and the scoot.

• Yes I use it all the time even tho I don't have to. It's a personal thing.

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like to ride the Moonpie to save gas - plus I just dig cruising back and forth to work on it (and ya'll know why that's true!) Weather and temp basically dictate my willingness to can the cage and take the pie. My ride to work is only 7 miles one way and I live in a fairly kickback area of the country. In other words, no road rage issues here. A real easy commute. Even if I take my car it's not going to bust the bank with fuel costs. So - that's why I can do either and not worry about it.
Just curious.
Pete

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Good choices on the poll.
I use my scoot all the time unless I just have to use the truck because of weather or carrying. Last year I put 21,000 on the scoot and only 8,000 on the truck , 4,000 miles on the truck was to pick up the scooter.
My reasons are like most I guess, gas prices, and riding the scoot is fun.
:)

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
yes and no Ride the B400 whenever possible, trapped in the cage when my wife and I roll someplace together. We do not go 2 up. I began riding this wonderful machine late last December and now show about 2,950 on the odometer. Neal

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
With few exceptions I only ride on workdays if the weather is really good; which in the rainy Puget Sound region means almost every day in July, August, and September; almost never November through April; and about 2 days out of five the rest of the year.

On weekends I ride as much as possible, so even if it's cold I'll ride if there's no rain predicted (and I carry a rain suit in case the predictions are wrong).

I bought my 650 in June and put more than 6,800 miles on it in the next three months (an average of more than 200 miles per day! And I only live five miles from where I work).

I've only put a little over 2,000 on it in the subsequent seven months; you can definitely see how much difference there is depending on the season.

That's the great thing about having both a Burgman and a 4X4 Ranger; I've got just what I want just when I want it.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
I'm probably one of the few that 'must' use the scooter all the time unless the scoot is their only vehicle. I can drive the truck for short distances (15 miles) but for anything longer it's too painful. I ride the 400 instead.... even in poor weather. Other than when the scoot was in the shop, I put less than 100 miles on the truck in the last 10 months.

·
Super Moderator
8,077 Posts
I have 3 other vehicles, (miles per year)

1- wifes mail car, job (12,000)
1 -my small truck, work (12,000)
1- Backup vehicle (6,000)

Burg (6,500 miles) - Primary pleasure vehicle in spring, summer, and fall. Anything above 45 and dry, wet on ocassion.
The Burg is worth more than the rest put together.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
If I could hop on and ride my scooter as easily as I can jump in and drive my car I would take Darth (black Burgman 650) everywhere when weather allowed. But scootering takes a little more work, so I reserve it for leasure times when I'm not in a rush to get going.

Dave B.

·
Registered
355 Posts
If it aint rainin', or snowin' or to **** cold I am on the Scoot!

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
I ride my scoot whenever I can. This basically leaves out winter riding. I have no problem heading out in torrential rain, but snow turns me right off.

·
Registered
250 Posts
We own three cars and two bikes. I no longer enjoy driving the cars for pleasure so they have been relegated to load-carrying, dog walking, shopping machines (though my AN650 can also fit this role quite well :wink: ). They also get used for any trips in which more than two of us need to travel together. I no longer work so I have no need for a commuter.

Of my two bikes, my old Guzzi is my sunny Sunday morning pot-pot-pottering machine. Slow and amiable.

It goes without saying that my 650 is my main, fun scoot. Used mainly for longer distance trips out with my friends (I still belong to the UK X9 Club which has a great social scene), it's at its best when settling into the rhythm of a long journey.

I'd probably use it even more if I could find some riding gear which was quick and easy to put on and take off without too much hassle. As it is, I prefer to 'make a meal of it' and dedicate many hours to each ride out. :)

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
My old scoot was mainly for gas mileage but also because it was fun. I will use the 650 exclusively when she is road worthy. I will only use the Lincoln for shopping and picking up the kids. Sarah is too small to ride but would in a heartbeat. Alex thinks it is too "dangerous".

I plan on putting many many miles on the Burg this year. I ride no matter what the weather but will be investing in some warmer gear for winter riding and a better rain suit. Our daily summer Florida rainstorms are more like monsoons!

·
Registered
240 Posts
I split my riding among wrx (when it rains or when i need to pickup somebody), vulcan, and burgman. Burgman gets more riding than others; you know, grocery shopping, visiting New Orleans, Florida, etc.,

There are times I would wake up late at night and decide to take the burgman out just for kicks.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I don't have a choice of vehicles on the commute: my wife uses our car to ferry the little 'un around, so I ride the bike. However, on nasty days I hit the public transit.

Simon

·
Registered
496 Posts
I ride my scoot for leisure and work. My corbin seat has finally arrived today, so I will pick the 400 up tomorrow after it's first service. If my seat height is lower and more comfortable I will ride it a lot more. The March weather is still wild down here with torrential rains, intermixed with cold weather and teasing us with beautiful warm temp at times.

Dang I can't wait for daylight savings time, when it will be warmer riding earlier in the AM :!:

·
Registered
822 Posts
None of the poll answers apply. I ride it all the time if I don't need a car to get the job done (obviously I can't transport certain things on the bike, nor can I take both my sons on the bike at the same time).

And lately... I'm driving the cage because it just doesn't seem to want to stop raining here!

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
SO much for the "Sunny" part huh? I lived in Camarillo for four years and just outside of Hanford/Visalia for about seven. It was so darn nice all the time it got boring! Down here, back in my hometown neck-o-da-woods, we just had a squal line come through here that'd make your head spin. THATs why I got out of the CA deal. I wanted some "weather variety!" Well - there is a "price to pay" in order to "recreate" year-round with mosta time good weather...
Either way - sorry to hear about your typical CA rain off Rain on, wait another two years same happnin again thing type probz~! peace out yo.
pedz. do a stretch of PCH in the Moonpies memory for me OK!? :wink:

·
Registered
822 Posts
Camarillo's about 35 miles from me.

Hmmm... I used to live in the midwest where if you didn't like the weather, all you had to do was wait 15 minutes!!

I can definitely relate to warm & sunny all the time resulting in "boring". What I really miss is lightning & thunder - all we get is rain! And of course when it clears up, all the great scenic mountain roads are closed with mudslides. But I have to admit... some the nicest riding is right here in Calif! I'll do PCH for ya next time!

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Chuck - the lightning and thunder today was JUICY! Too bad it only lasted for about 30 minutes! But - THAT 30 MINUTES was "better" than all the almost 9-plus years combined in cali! I have to say that I did dig those earthquakes. (bless those who were hurt..) I went through about 6 quakes in the 9-ish years i wuz there. It was darn sure weird....'specially in the San Juaquin Valley (sp?). The corn rows were undulating from my vantage point (E5 security/cop-at that time - just outside of NAS LeMoore). VERY strange. I also went through two quakes in a mobile home rented in Lemoore. Anyhow, living in the "Northwestern Tip of the Miracle Strip" means that I can't go skiing easily, dam it. China Peak/Sierra summit, Big Bear! Darn those were good times!

·
Registered
822 Posts
Yup - quakes can be fun if they're not the destructive kind... just the fact that the ground can do that! And yeah - I'd give a days pay for 30 minutes of juicy thunder 'n lightnin' !!

·
Registered
367 Posts
Weather seems to cause a lack of Burgman riding! Hard to handle something like 800 pounds on the ice!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts