Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This will happen to me at least 2 times a month. At a stop light some one will ask me , is that an electric scooter. I simply reply , no its gas and a 650 that cruises at 85 mph all day long. When they look at me with that deer in the head light look I add, When I leave for work in the morning I don't wake my neighbors up.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I haven't been asked that silly question yet but I find that the 650 is a great way for an old fart to get looks and waves from the ladies (quite a few cute young ones also), something that hasn't happened to me in a long time ;-)

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've had the "man what is that" question a few times. I too like the reaction when you tell them it's a 650, gets 55-60mpg, and will cruise 70-80mph all day effortlessly.

"But it's so quite". Yes, that's what responsible motorcycling sounds like.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I get around a lot of biker events and mostly I get curious looks and questions. I always tell them in the end, I take it on the highways all day and into several states and most of all "Wifey loves the seat. She can ride longer than me on this thing. She has even asked me to come home early from work and take her for a ride." That settles it.

·
Administrator
20,096 Posts
I get around a lot of biker events and mostly I get curious looks and questions. I always tell them in the end, I take it on the highways all day and into several states and most of all "Wifey loves the seat. She can ride longer than me on this thing. She has even asked me to come home early from work and take her for a ride." That settles it.
Chappy, you sir are a very blessed man. :D My wife will not get near my bike. In our 38+ years, I have over 1 million miles on bikes, she has about 1,000 total.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I find it interesting (or perhaps just crazy) that there are folks out there that want to make their nice quiet Burgmans into not so nice loud Burgmans. One of the bike's most endearing features is how smooth and quiet it is. After riding all kinds of two-wheelers over the last 45 years or so with straight pipes, expansion chambers, megaphone and whatever for exhaust there aint nothing I like better than a pleasant quiet bike now. I have not yet had anyone ask me if my bike was electric, but if they do that will be quite the complement as far as I am concerned.

·
Registered
230 Posts
quiet bike

Here in Australia we still live with the stigma that the Burgman is a scooter so not a real bike .They can not believe when I beat them of at the lights and that's with out the power button or manual switched on .yesterday I had a Harley rider follow me and tail gait me for a while then blasted past me ......But the next set of lights were red so I pulled up along side said hi the lights went green it took him t blocks before he passed me and was shaking his head ,II just accelerated fast no power button or manual mode maybe a bit more respect about no every bike is like a harly ,Don't get me wrong I like Harleys and have worked on many as I work as a bike mechanic now retired so please remember its 2 wheels that give us the fun not the attitude sorry if I have offended any one

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
One of the reasons I switched to the 650 was due to its quietness. Now the 400 when plugged up good and proper is fairly quiet, but not anywhere near as quiet as the 650 is. I grew up around Gold Wings, so nice quiet touring bikes are what interest me. I enjoy being able to get up and go to work in the morning without rattling windows, or having a high whining exhaust that you can hear go down the interstate for minutes (hear it nightly).

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
When I first was getting into motorcycles, I had an older ****'s angle member tell me to never have a quite bike. His reasoning was that people in cars will hear you before seeing you. And every time anyone asked me why I like mine loud, I ask them, did you hear me or see me first? And I always get the I heard you first answer.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
When I first was getting into motorcycles, I had an older ****'s angle member tell me to never have a quite bike. His reasoning was that people in cars will hear you before seeing you. And every time anyone asked me why I like mine loud, I ask them, did you hear me or see me first? And I always get the I heard you first answer.
I always find fault with that logic, its a heated debate, but I do not think louder is any better. Many times while in my car going down interstate, there's a loud hog behind me... and I don't hear it.

In front of me, yes, I can hear them. But behind, or even in my blind spot, I can not hear them with my windows up and radio at a sensable level. As soon as they get just in front of me, like past my side mirrors, I then can hear them, they can be 10 car lengths ahead of me and can still hear them, but in the most important spot, blind spots, sound means nothing.

Doppler Effect at work. Dang science.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
This will happen to me at least 2 times a month. At a stop light some one will ask me , is that an electric scooter. I simply reply , no its gas and a 650 that cruises at 85 mph all day long. When they look at me with that deer in the head light look I add, When I leave for work in the morning I don't wake my neighbors up.
This happen to me also 3 year ago, me stop at light in Malone NY, jack up pickup truck with big mud tire pull along side of me, person in passenger side while laughing yell out you came all the way fom Canada on an electric scooter, I say yes and laugh while push power button, when light change green I crank throttle to max and left pickup far behind me, I watch in my mirror when pull away from pickup truck, the 3 in cab having a very bad surprise like bad case of VD.

I laugh, laugh and laugh more, again, again and again, is not life really great sometime.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Over the years, I've gotten both the "is it electric?" and "is it a diesel?" questions.

The combination of the low growl from the exhaust and the driveline gear whine is unique -- I happen to quite like it. My neighbors appreciate that it's quiet (that is, if they notice it at all...) I know it's not silent though, because when I'm outside I occasionally hear someone else's 650 passing on the street a few doors down from mine. Then again, on a quiet night I can hear the Green Line (light rail) a couple of miles away.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Were new to the Burgie scene and I've been riding Chinese for the last 5 years. When we got our new to us 04 650 Trike I told the wife we'll get a lot of questions. For the first time ever she's riding on the back and even likes the short out to dinner trips. Of course it cost me a Helmet and jacket for her but she's happy, and if she's happy I get more riding. By the way it is a head turner and as a chick magnate unfortunately their their all old.:D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts