Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read from others on here that the 400 has a larger storage under seat. So this weekend, I decided to take the 400 to my fav. BBQ restaurant to pick up my usual 3 trays of take home meats (that I KNOW fits under the 650's seat). I was shocked to find out that I couldn't fit all 3 foil trays under the 400's seat, but only 2. Apparently, that tire shape protruding into the bottom of the seat takes out ALOT of usable storage. Good thing I put a top box on the 400. Or else I would have had to eat 1/3rd of all them good BBQ ribs b/f heading back home.:D

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
The storage space on the 400 is larger by volume. Which means it will carry more air or sand than the 650. It is the dimensions/shape of the storage space that dictate if the storage volume is useful. I think the shape of the 650's storage makes it more usable.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
+1 on Jeff's post.

For the record:
Suzuki Burgman 400 under-seat storage: 62 litres.
Suzuki Burgman 650 under-seat storage: 56 litres.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Yup, flat, rigid things don't fit well in the 400s trunk. But it is huge.

I love showing it to MC guys. It's bigger than most top boxes and saddle bags, and its just doesn't look that big from the outside. Pop the seat, open it up, and its usually, "Whoa, that's HUGE". Lol. I always love surprising the uninitiated.

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
Just brought home a 12-pack of soda-pop
from the Dollar store.
Plumber parked next to me asked
'whata gonna do with that???'
I popped open the seat, put the soda in,
closed the seat, sat down, started the
engine, & rode off....I never said a word.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Just brought home a 12-pack of soda-pop
from the Dollar store.
Plumber parked next to me asked
'whata gonna do with that???'
I popped open the seat, put the soda in,
closed the seat, sat down, started the
engine, & rode off....I never said a word.
One of the first days I rode to work I pulled in beside my boss in the parking lot, popped my seat, took out my extra large laptop bag, put my helmet in, then opened my dash and pulled out my TimHortons breakfast, as I dropped my helmet in he took a look and noticed I had another helmet already in there and said something about how I had all the room I needed, I commented that I needed a drink holder and he lost it :laughing1:

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I could get more groceries in my 400 than I can on my 650. With either one, people really look at you funny when you push a grocery cart out to your scooter and empty it in the trunk.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
FYI - you can only fit six 42oz containers of rolled oats along with 5lbs of brown sugar. That's because the 5 litres of olive oil takes up a bunch of room. DAMHIK

·
Registered
630 Posts
Four 1-gallon jugs, plus one 6" x 10" x 2" toolkit and one 10" long cylinder (2" diameter) of earplugs. Still a few spaces to tuck small items away. Lots of room left in the back forty (Givi 50L topcase).

·
Registered
11 Posts
swallows a pizza

I put a 14'' square box pizza under seat of my 400. had to tilt it slightly to place it, but sits flat once inside. Impressive!

·
Premium Member
14,257 Posts
Maybe it would help to visualize the difference in size of the two trunks if we talked about just what the difference is.

By volume a liter is a cube 10 X 10 X 10 centimeters. 10 centimeters is roughly 4 inches. So by volume a liter is a cube approximately 4 X 4 X 4 inches. If the 400 handles 62 liters and the 650 56 liters then the difference is 6 liters. That is 6 boxes 4 X 4 X 4 inches. Lay them side by side in two rows of 3 on a table and you get a box that is 8 inches wide, 12 inches long and 4 inches deep. So the theoretical difference in what they will hold is what will fit in a box that size.

Of course as the OP pointed out the problem comes in the shape of the objects and the shape of the trunk. If you are talking about sand then you could use that full 4 X 8 X 12 volume. If you are talking about larger objects a lot of it can be lost to empty space between the objects and negate the advantage of the larger trunk. And finally the shapes of both the objects and the trunk can prevent the larger trunk from holding as much as the smaller trunk in some cases.

It is all a matter of relativity of sizes and shapes. So in the end is it really worth debating.

·
Registered
630 Posts
An interesting bit of trivia, which increases the indecision for prospective Burgman owners. I vote: worth debating! Seriously, I never considered the volume vs shape argument. Have fun with your larger trunk of sand, 400 owners! I kid, I kid. :D Actually, I'm toying with the notion of a pre-2007 400 as an understudy for the 650 when I do the valve check/swing arm lube/CVT check. Somehow it always gets complicated and leaves me without a ride for weeks. It was your defence of the older model that intrigued me. Either that or a Super Magna.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I don't know about anyone else, but who loves the look on peoples faces at costco? I've actually had people follow me out because they couldn't understand how I was taking it all on a motorcycle.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Gk, yes...I love that when they watch you put the stuff all in the trunk without difficulty. I even had a 22" LG tv under my seat and my laptop too the other day. No tv's or laptops were harmed during this escapade.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts