Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/zero-fx/

DO ANYTHING. RIDE ANYWHERE.
You’ve never experienced power and freedom like this. All those things you wished you could get away with... they just became possible. It is said, “Absolute power corrupts absolutely.” Just in case you find this to be true, hit the eco-switch... or don’t.
Delivering a nearly instantaneous 70 ft-lbs of torque, 44 hp and with a low weight of only 289 lbs, the Zero FX takes any type of riding to bold new levels. Stealthily ride at any hour of the day or night, on a motorcycle that distills riding into its most basic and adrenaline-pumping elements.
Tempting you to ride on any terrain that crosses your path, the Zero FX chassis hails from Zero Motorcycles’ championship-winning off-road heritage and features the most advanced Z-Force® technology yet.
Equipped with a maintenance-free powertrain, belt drive and fully modular power pack system, no riding time is wasted and each mile ridden only costs around a penny in electricity
NEW FOR 2015
SHOWA SUSPENSION. ABS BRAKES.
All-new features and a host of refinements make one of the most dynamic motorcycles on the planet even more entertaining. Showa suspension keeps the bike perfectly balanced whether you’re pointed at the apex, powering over choppy terrain, or sailing along your favorite ribbon of singletrack. The upgraded suspension perfectly complements improved wheels clad with Pirelli Scorpion MT-90 tires for better traction on everything from smooth pavement to dirt roads.
The advanced Bosch anti-lock braking system (ABS) improves safety in a wide array of conditions, ensuring the best performance out of newly tuned hydraulic ratios. Of course, ABS can be disabled when the adventure leads off road. Riders will notice stylish mirrors that provide excellent rearward visibility and reduce motorcycle width. Comfortable new grips are made of a softer rubber compound, and a more robust throttle seamlessly controls the Z-Force® motor’s 70 ft-lbs of torque.
Hmm - $3 a day to finance/own - basically zilch to run.
100 km commute.
Most commuter bikes get 20 km per litre.
Price in Canada or Australia $1.20 per litre.
$6.00 to run the ICE every day.
Be generous $3.50 to ride the Zero INCLUDES the purchase.

$9,845.00
As low as: $151/month
Electricity cost: $0.01 per mile
Power pack warranty: 5 y/50,000 mi
I think this is my next bike in Canada - kid wants to split it - ideal commuter for him and nice break from the heavier street bikes.

This is almost a no brainer for some riders....and the power packs on some of the models are hot swappable in 1 minute.

cool gallery pics
http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/au/gallery

and it's quiet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=20&v=ImeXO_cfoKk

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Amazing, Mac -- but Buffalo says it is not possible ;) just joking
I love electric thrust!

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Almost Burgman 650 prices for the low-range version, almost fully-loaded BMW 600 prices for the long-range one.

I wish I had that kind of money, because I would SO own one.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yup but if you add in oil changes, gas etc over time...it's as if you up fronted all the costs into the original purchase price.

With a belt drive and a 310,000 km battery life you have no worry about that aspect.

For easy numbers...lets do 50,000 miles at 50 MPG at $4 per gallon....on thelow side for most of the world.

Then that's $4000 in fuel savings you pay up front.- so the Zero FX represents $5k capital costs and $4k for prepaid fuel.

That compares pretty well to a $7k Honda CB500x plus $4000 in fuel.

Both with ABS. The Zero FX is lighter, far faster off the line and did I say quiet and they have some luggage options.

Someone commuting 30-40 miles each way and near some off road trails this would be superb.
It's light enough to trailer to new areas and battery swaps are very quick.

If Zero offered very low cost financing so cost of bike and financing came to $3 a day ....wouldn't you have one in your garage.

At $5 a day which it is now if you drive it enough. That's still a very attractive second bike.

Kid and I are considering splitting one. That gives more riding distance.
My regular coffee stop is bout 30 miles away....60 round trip ....nicely in the zone and I can plug in there anyways.

The weight, silence and high torque really appeal plus the ability to put it in the van and go play.
This is close.
If you are retired - what a nice bike for errands and local rides. Quiet for the neighbors, no fuel or maintenance to deal with.
Even more roll and go than the Burgman.

I watched the videos of owners with earlier models and the certainly enjoyed the machine. This new series with ABS, sophisticated suspension and new battery density seems a winner.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I'm a lot more interested in this electric vehicle than anything Tesla Motors has come out with! :)

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
I'd prefer the Zelectric Vehicles models. Faster, cheaper, better range.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I took a look at purchasing the Zero before purchasing my Burgman. It is a neat concept and looked ideal for short trips to and fro. Unfortunately, sitting on the seat at a dealer was akin to straddling a dirt bike with absolutely no seat padding. Go into your garage and set a 2 x 4 across two saw horses and sit on it and you will get the picture. The Sport Model offered a bit more comfort with a contoured seat, but the price climbed significantly.
Here in Canada, the starting price of the base model is over $15K and quickly runs you past $20K if you want the performance models. The base bike is truly minimalist in design and you have to get your head around the fact that the unit's price is based primarily on the drive train. The ergonomics would probably appeal more to trail riders than the cruiser/touring crowd, but once again it is a personal preference. Unfortunately. I knew that my backside would have overpowered my brain while trying to enjoy a ride on this machine on a daily basis and the "cool" effect would have gotten old really fast.
Still enamored with the concept, but alas the body is not getting younger and the wallet is not getting thicker.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Dont see one in my future. Non unless they get a LOT more comfortable and can take me and my gear on a 500+ mile ride with only a quick couple of stops needed.

Interesting toys, but my money will be spent elsewhere.

·
Registered
26 Posts
You may want to look at this web site. These folks start with a Burgman and build an electric motorcycle/scooter which from the description might be of interest to folks here. http://zelectricvehicle.com/

·
Registered
753 Posts
You may want to look at this web site. These folks start with a Burgman and build an electric motorcycle/scooter which from the description might be of interest to folks here. http://zelectricvehicle.com/
Fourteen THOUSAND dollars for a bike that has around a 100 mile range?

I am both too poor and like to ride too much to think about buying something like that.

Now then, were I to win one on The Price is Right then I might just enjoy having it. As long as it did not have to be my primary ride anyway.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Let me start off by saying I'm a huge proponent of electrics; they will rule road-going transportation... Someday. But not today.

If the question is "ultimate fun bike", I can easily see this one in contention. But so far as "Ultimate Commuter bike", unless your commute involves off-roading, I'd say it's the Burgman 400, followed closely by the Majesty.

The comfort, storage, weather protection, etc, of the Burgman has it beat by a mile. So far as economics... A good used 400 for $2500 + fuel and repairs will beat it also. The little burg may not beat the electric off the line, but it's got enough power to beat most traffic and cruise comfortably on the freeway all day long with no range anxiety whatsoever.

I can't wait for the day when the electrics take over, but like I said, it's not today.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yes, cost and range keep me from getting serious about these. However you would get an electric Burgman or electric Big Ruckus for your toy and this company seems to have interesting technology and products. Maybe in a few years electrics will be competive.

·
Super Moderator
2,368 Posts
I checked one of those out a while ago. It was heavily discounted since they weren't selling ~6k
The commuter version wasn't too bad, but for my commute a scooter form factor really works better than a motorcycle.

I don't think the battery tech is there yet. There's a new battery variant coming out in the next year or two (likely) which utilizes boron nanotubes to facilitate both charging and discharging. This would allow charging in a reasonable amount of time along with the possibility of using a solar panel to extend range, & perhaps encourage night time riding (ride all night charge all day :p) There are multiple groups working on this as you'd expect, & lots of articles on the interwebs if ya poke around.

I'm not sure how this would work with the other one I've been watching a bit, the Lithium air battery, but assuming the techs are compatible that would allow for a much lighter battery as well, obviating the other drawback of electric bikes vs. their IC counterparts, the weight of the batteries per unit of energy.

Bring both of those into play and that would be a definite nail in the coffin of IC engines.

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
I like the idea, but not my taste in design.

I think we're still a few years out from electric offering the same range of choice and function, to be serious competition.

I'll wait for the electric tourer.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
$9,845.00
Well, let's see....my drive is 30 miles round trip. I get about 55 mpg. That's about .55 gallons of gas per day. At $2.75/gallon, that's about $1.51/day. If I ride 5 days/week, that's about $7.50/week. Dividing that into the cost of this thing...that's about 1300 weeks. If I ride March-December, that's about 44 weeks. Dividing that into 1300....So in about 30 years of riding this thing back and forth to work, at pretty much every opportunity, I will just about break even with the cost of the gas to ride the TMAX that I already have.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
You don't fit the model - you don't ride enough and your fuel is too cheap.

Double your ride, double your fuel cost as the rest of the world deals with ( and many regions ride year round including Australia and most of Europe even into parts of Scandavia. )

You also are not counting your maintenance costs other than tires for an ICE engine.
4 litres of Castrol motorcycle oil in Australia costs $35 for instance.
Last year fuel in Australia was $7 a gallon....$1.75 per litre and that's cheap compared to other places ( Iceland $2.40 US per litre - $10 a gallon and about the same in Britain. )
a 100 km round trip commute ...that's $50 a trip in fuel costs...$250 a week!!!

It's not for everyone but as with all early techs....it is approaching and is at a useful point for some.....then there are the pluses.....performance, weight and quiet and carbon neutral for fuel if you have that option in your area ( in all cases its way more efficient than an ICE engine in terms of energy from fossil. ) For us in Ontario we are pretty much carbon neutral ( no coal ) and Sweden and France are entirely....and both with very high petrol costs.
Those are all important to some.

In Copenhagen - the tax on say a $8000 ICE scooter is....are you sitting down...180% of the purchase price...so some $22,000 dollars out the door.
And fuel costs about $9 per gal.
There is no tax on EVs.

If Zero offered this at $99 a month 5 year lease to own with $1000 down with a modest buy out you can bet there would be a lot of takers.

New tech is often leased initially.

•••

Electric tourer.??..I think that does not make sense - and really can you get any quieter than a GoldWing??
The problem with pollution is the suburban commuter doing 2-300 miles per week often idling in traffic. There are millions of cars doing this.

A tourer needs range and quick refuel both of which are 5-10 years out for a heavy bike.
The current crop of tourers are pretty efficient and ICE is certainly not going away.
But jammed places like Japan and big cities....EVs are brilliant solutions.

Add in PHEVs ( hybrids ) and even now there are 1/2 million sold out of 16.5 million total vehicle sales....and that's not counting Ebikes.

Worldwide PHEV And EV Sales Top 500,000 - Gas 2
gas2.org/2014/07/14/worldwide-phev-and-ev-sales-top-500000/
Jul 14, 2014 - ... and EV's worldwide passed the 500,000 mark at the end of June, 2014. ... is second, China third and the Netherlands fourth in total EV sales.
Youse guys living in a bubble of cheap gas....and you still whinge ;)

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Think there's a lot of energy sources around us. In cities only cell phone masts emit wasted EMR enough to propel most of the vehicles on the road rather than compromise human health.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 57 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.