Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're south of St. Louis an hour or so visiting an old French town along the senic Mississippi river called Ste. Genevieve, MO. one Sunday a while back. Looking at the map, bridges are scarce from St. Louis south to the southern tip of Illinois. However, just upstream from St. Gen is a ferry across the Mississippi river. We took the interstate to get to St. Gen, let's take a more senic route home through southern Illinois. Just north of town is a new, nice looking ferry. As we approach the landing I see the fee schedule sign. Now this is strange if this is a funded IDOT (Illinois Dept. of Transp.) or a MODOT (Missouri DOT) ferry, it would be FREE. It's our tax money at work. As I drive onto the ferry the attendant walks over and I ask, "Is this a IDOT ferry?" Looking up from his wad of money he's counting and says "Huh?" I ask then "Is this a MODOT ferry?" "YUP, this is the MODOC ferry. 4 bucks, please." I look over at the wife as I part with 4 bucks and give it to the attendant. It just doesn't seem right. For ten minutes on the ride across the "mighty mississipp" I'm getting the 4 bucks' worth. A very nice ride indeed. We land, tie up, fire 'em up, depart the barge and we're on solid land, Illinois, the old river bottoms from eons ago, now only corn fields as far as the base of the bluffs. The next sign we see just a bit away from the ferry, "MODOC 4 miles".

1 - 1 of 1 Posts