Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Slowly but surely the dreaded whining noise has developed. At the 18000km service I asked the dealer about it. It was just faintly in the background when at idle, couldn't hear it while riding. A bit more pronounced when selecting "Power". He said it's nothing to worry about, they all do it just ride it and we'll watch it. Ok so slowly it's getting louder until I can hear it at slow speeds. When stopped at idle, it can be clearly heard and when either the "Power" or "Manual" button is selected it's very pronounced. So I dropped off the bike at the dealer for the 24000km service, new tyres and check out the noise. Well it's been two week now and they are still trying to find the cause. The dealer said he discussed it with the Suzuki Technical Guy at national level and nobody knows, they are saying open her up. I have to say I'm worried.

·
Premium Member
14,235 Posts
That doesn't sound like the normal input bearing failure. That sounds more like maybe a problem in the adjuster side of the primary pulley. As the dealer suggested, the only way to find out for sure is to open it up.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well the scoot is still with the dealer, stripped down. They are repalcing the belt. It's hard to believe the damage on the belt after 23,500km. Then if the whining is still there they said they will replace the sensor. When I see my scooter stripped like this it scares the stuffing out of me. Will it ever recover?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
I would rush down and buy some large plastic boxes with lid where they can store the dismantled components tp protect them against dust.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
ErikDK said:
I would rush down and buy some large plastic boxes with lid where they can store the dismantled components tp protect them against dust.
+1

I hope this work is covered under warranty.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Shriek - I cannot believe the cavalier work practices, look at those precision CVT assemblies hovering inches away from the edge of the platform. I would be speaking to them with a raised voice if this was my bike. I can see the workshop manual nearby I just wonder if he (or she) had actually read it. :roll:

·
Premium Member
14,235 Posts
If there is damage on the belt, I would suspect that something else is wrong inside the CVT. What did the faces on the pulleys look like. I don't think changing a sensor will have any effect on wear like this or the noise.

I see the clutch laying on the table. I wonder why they pulled it. There is no need to take it out to pull the CVT.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Buffalo said:
If there is damage on the belt, I would suspect that something else is wrong inside the CVT. What did the faces on the pulleys look like. I don't think changing a sensor will have any effect on wear like this or the noise.

I see the clutch laying on the table. I wonder why they pulled it. There is no need to take it out to pull the CVT.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
ErikDK said:
Buffalo said:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Premium Member
14,235 Posts
ErikDK said:
Had to go to that web site to get your reference on their competency (at least I assume your talking about their competency and not mine :wink: ). From the website:

"Knowledge does not equal competency Never confuse knowledge with competency. Just because someone knows about something, doesn’t mean they know it’s application. A lot of people talk a good game but in reality they can’t tell their ass from their elbow. "

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
sorry to hear about your troubles...

those are a scary set of pics... can't say I would want those guys working on my ride...

having gone through this myself, I can share a few first hand tid bits that may shed some light on the whole thing.

The squealing sound you are reporting isn't caused by the belt... It's probably the primary pulley bearing that is going bad.
Mine started making intermittent on and off squeals, mainly on cold starts, about 15k or so before the belt snapped.

have them check the primary pulley bearing.

Also get them to store the primary and secondary pullies and the idle speed wheels in a clean container, you don't want
any grease getting on them.

not sure why they took the clutch off but I doubt that it has anything to do with the noises you were hearing.

you definitely want to make sure that they completely clean the CVT cover / case before they go back to put the cvt assembly together.

From what I can see in that picture, the belt doesn't seem to be in too bad of a shape... perhaps you can take some close up pictures.

also have them check the splines on your primary pulley adapter and it counter parts on the engine side....

contrary to what the dealer says, they don't all make that sound, you have a mechanical issue of sorts.

you can check this DIY if you want to educate yourself about what the CVT is made of:

DIY - CVT Reparis

good lcuk...

ps: not sure how they pulled that secondary pulley but it still has the nut, secondary shaft adapter on it and it seems to have also pulled out the bearing out of the cvt case... Those trained Suzuki Mechanics must know some really cool short cuts...

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh boy! this is so depressing. Guys this is Africa. There are not many of these scooters in the country and very little experience and expertise. Somehow I don't think it will ever get put back together properly. Unfortunately I do not have the skills to do these things myself. The bike is no longer under warranty so I have very little grounds for fighting. The dealer has assured me that as I have been a good customer for so many years he will swing things and will get the costs covered by Suzuki. So I'm trying to be humble, talk about between a rock and a hard place. Being on the verge of retirement I want reliability and something to last, because the reality is there will not be finances available to replace bikes or vehicles after retirement. Now I have to go take my pills before I have a melt down.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Make sure they inspect this area on the primary pulley assembly shaft for damage like mine or LeDude's! Also might as well replace the input bearing while they are in there along with the required seals.

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
Bryan said:
Oh boy! this is so depressing. Guys this is Africa. There are not many of these scooters in the country and very little experience and expertise. Somehow I don't think it will ever get put back together properly. Unfortunately I do not have the skills to do these things myself. The bike is no longer under warranty so I have very little grounds for fighting. The dealer has assured me that as I have been a good customer for so many years he will swing things and will get the costs covered by Suzuki. So I'm trying to be humble, talk about between a rock and a hard place. Being on the verge of retirement I want reliability and something to last, because the reality is there will not be finances available to replace bikes or vehicles after retirement. Now I have to go take my pills before I have a melt down.
don't despair, if you have that good of a relationship with your dealer, I am sure they can figure it out and get it fixed for you...
In the meantime, you can use us as a resource or perhaps refer us to them if they are not too proud of checking with others...
bottom line is getting your ride diagnosed and repaired so you can get that magic burgy grin back.

all the best...

·
Registered
340 Posts
Not trying to be negative as I have a great relationship with my dealership :thumbup:

There are times when even the dealership cannot get the work done :oops: I had the BMW F800GS and the left cylinder valve seal started weeping oil around 16,000mi. Not much, but enough to have to bring a rag around with me for every ride.

I don't have the initiative like Buffalo and LeDude to do my own work on my B650EX and I also have the K9 still working well at a low, 6300mi. To translate your km to mi -you have 14602.223 mi on your Burgman which is very low mileage like my F800GS. I went to the BMW forums and they have the BMW versions of "Buffalo" and "LeDude". Any time there was a problem with the Beemer, I would go to the forum. There was no official leak fix for the F800 models. There were all sort of tricks and fixes made by BMW forum members... some worked and some didn't, but weeping oil was a common problem.

Fact is I got so sick of the problem, I got rid of the BMW -both the F800 and the R1200. The shop didn't have a fix other than tighten the valve cover, but even this was pushing it. The general consensus of BMW forum members was to live with the weeping gasket as it adds character to the BMW. I didn't want that much character in my motorcycle.

I see in some of the earlier post where LeDude rebuilt an old Kawasaki 500 triple two stroke H1. In the early days, I wrenched my new H1 Kawasaki 500 triple which during the day was the fastest production motorcycle. 12.4 seconds in the quarter mile with a top speed on a 124mph. I owned the H1 with the points and condensors so I had much more work to do than the H1 with the CDI. Every 3000mi I did a top end rebuild, rejeted the carbs, tune up ever 500mi.

Those are the days when I would wrench my bikes and it was actually a hobby. Today I feel completely different and don't want to wrench anything on my bike. Even checking the tires is a chore.

Bottom line is that no one is going to do as good a job of wrenching the bike yourself. Even the shop back in the 70's didn't have the patience to sync the 3 carbs, adjust 3 points, change the condensors, decarbon the cylinders, pistons and heads as well as when I did it myself. In the 70's the bikes were simpler and the motorcycle shops still couldn't get the job done to my perfection levels. These same perfection levels are what Buffalo and LeDude put into rebuilding their Burgmans.

I would hate my Burgman to go out at 14,000mi -I also know the difference when you wrench your own bike and get everything done right and when you let a competent shop that cares.. it is still not going to be at a level that Buffalo and LeDude will perform the work.

The closest I came was when the Harley mechanics worked on my Road King Classic and they were so into Harleys that it was taken apart and put back together better than when it came back to the factory.

The Burgman is a specialty item and I'm prepared to dump my Burgman if anything goes wrong with my CVT or assembly components.

For your sake and my sake, I really hope they put together you B650EX properly. There is a real community with all the members on this forum and we all want everyone to have their Burgmans running as best possible. Even I have prepare myself for the worse case scenario. It is my hope it does not happen :(

If and when I decide to sell my Burgman, I would like to pass it on as something worth having rather than a problem that the shop couldn't get right... :violent2:

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Time to say Goodbye. The Scooter was finally put back together and I collected it. I had missed that ride so much and had many doubts about it ever getting back on the road. The scoot ran well and the new tyres felt great. On a few occasions the ABS light would not go off. This was not everytime but probably around half the startups. They collected the scoot said they sorted it out and brought it back. Unfortunately the noise that started the whole sage is still there. So in spite of all the efforts, including a new belt, the problem is not solved. Three factors on my mind, close to my retirement, no more warranty and concern or loss of faith in the future reliability of my scoot. I have become a real scooterhead now and just love the scooter riding style, and practicality although I still ride my cruiser and love it just as much. Unfortunately I do not want to go into the future with the concerns I have about the Burgman and having looked around at the new prices of all the big scooters available here I have decided that the new prices and lack of used market here it is no longer viable for me in my situation to get another scooter. I have traded the Burgman with a very sad heart to see her go, while taking a large financial loss (more than half the original value), and will be riding a new Honda CBF1000FA by next week sometime and clutching and gearing my way on my daily commute. Thanks to all on this great forum for the participation, advice and fellowship during my time here, best wishes to all.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Sorry to hear but hope you love the new Honda too.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts