Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some IKON front springs to install. Is it possible to take the fork caps off and remove the factory springs, take a mityvac and remove the oil that you can, replenish the oil that measured came out and install the new springs with the front end still mounted and tire in place but weight removed from the front tire with a jack? Thanks for any responses in advance.

·
Registered
515 Posts
HMMM ;

I suppose you could try it that way but i am not convinced you could get much of the fork oil out .

The mileage on your bike should be a determining factor , I think you are showing over 16k according to your profile so there might be some other parts in the forks that have worn and warrant a look see. If you are replacing the oil with the same as what came in it originally it should be ok ride wise .

I sure wish Suzuki made the forks with a drain plug in the bottom like my BMW AirHeads had , that made it real easy to change the fork oil .

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the insight. Yes, even Harley Davidson is smart enough to put a drain on their forks. Suzuki is short sighted in this respect.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the picture and info. I was hoping that this could be done. I don't think at 19K miles my forks would be wore out and need parts replaced or at least I would hope not.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Please keep us posted on how this works out.
I plan to upgrade my suspension front and rear over the next year or so.
My own experience tells me that suspension upgrades are absolutely the best bang for the buck you can get , be it cars or two wheelers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts