Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going very slow as i was near to turn into my home garage, when i heard a small "klink" and then a man shouted at me "You lost a bolt!"

He picked that one from the road.... i thanked him, and now i'm worried. Have i just put a wheel on a casual bolt, or is this really part of my Burgman?
'cause my scoot have a lot of vibrations, and my mechanics says it may be the belt about to break, and i really hope is something else.

·
Premium Member
8,165 Posts
is that black thing a rubber washer? there aren't a lot of allen head bolts on the bike and one with a rubber washer doesn't ring any bells,

·
Premium Member
3,143 Posts
It looks awfully weathered, pitted and dry to have come undone recently. I do understand your concern though. If anyone has an idea where the bolt came off a Burgman it would be Ledude or Dave_J.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
is that black thing a rubber washer?
Yup, black rubber, half "inserted" in the bolt head.

It looks awfully weathered, pitted and dry to have come undone recently
Well, as the scoot lived for three years in a yard, my engine exterior looks like a bricklayer wheelbarrow for the most part, so this bolt is not "out of context" on my burgman.
Here some more images with the flash:

The grey part is still shining, to give a better idea.

37844f4d-eaf7-4fee-bf6b-557ac344eded.jpg facd5e4d-ea3a-4981-b322-ec987fb39437.jpg b2f570b2-98ce-4142-b213-d11b11322816.jpg

·
Registered
29 Posts
Well there's always the possibility that your tire picked up and rattled a random abandoned bolt against the fender...the witness was just coincidental and trying to be helpful. Good luck, if it is from your ride please update us.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well there's always the possibility that your tire picked up and rattled a random abandoned bolt against the fender...the witness was just coincidental and trying to be helpful. Good luck, if it is from your ride please update us.
Yup, that was my question, explained in a much better english :D

·
Registered
223 Posts
Looks like the ring retainer bolt for the upper muffler bearing, but didn't they have the left hand thread?

·
Premium Member
3,143 Posts
Those threads look booggered to me .....it looks like it has been laying the street for some time. I hope !

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
My vote is that someone in the past dropped it while working on the bike and you just dislodged it and it fell out. Looks like it could be an oil gallery plug or inspection port plug.

Reactions: rjs987

·
Premium Member
14,235 Posts
That looks like one of the plugs on the final drive on a 650. The lower drain plug has a magnet so more likely the top fill plug. If it did fall off your bike you might want to pull the cover off your final drive and make sure both plugs are still in it.

·
Registered
126 Posts
No chance it came from your 650. This bolt has an o ring around the head which tells me it is supposed to plug some liquid, not your engine oil drain plug, not your transmission oil drain plug and not your final drive oil drain plug. Besides, it appears as if many vehicles have driven over that bolt and it clearly has not served the purpose of a drain plug for many moons.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Standard type plug for oil drainage on various bike components. If it was yours you would have left a snail trail. Hasn't seen an engine for quite a while by the looks of it.

Probably came off a HD, rider wouldn't have noticed any difference in ride quality :cool:

·
Registered
20 Posts
I was going very slow as i was near to turn into my home garage, when i heard a small "klink" and then a man shouted at me "You lost a bolt!"

He picked that one from the road.... i thanked him, and now i'm worried. Have i just put a wheel on a casual bolt, or is this really part of my Burgman?
'cause my scoot have a lot of vibrations, and my mechanics says it may be the belt about to break, and i really hope is something else.

View attachment 91049 View attachment 91050
That thing looks like it’s been run over quite a few times I would think that you probably hit it and it bounced off your tire

·
Registered
7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Mate you only got to look at it. I don't reckon that bolt has been on anything for a long time. Reckon you just flicked it with your wheel. Look at the thread on it that would have a hard time screwing back into anything. It's not wet so it not sealing any fluid. Any bolt that is holding anything on doesn't have a recessed Allen head. So I wouldn't stress myself

·
Registered
40 Posts

No way that bolt fell out of your bike. It’s been flopping around on asphalt/cement for a long time. I’d guess you just pinched it with a tire and it squirted put and made a noise. That thing has been abused..

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank guys.

Reactions: Dave_J
1 - 18 of 18 Posts