Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm hoping to have the rest of my parts early next week and installed soon- both tires- all 3 brakes... is there a recommended process to properly break these in? Easy riding for 100 miles or ok to hit a canyon right away (not fast, just lots of twisties and braking)?

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Re: Is there a recommended new tire/brakes break in procedur

New tires have a mold-release compound on them, that is slippery. Take it easy for a while.
Extrapolating from my brake job on my Saturn, IIRC it was 8 or 10 hard stops from 60 mph to heat the pads. I don't remember the why, something to do with burning in the pad material. The car stops better since I did that, years later.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts

About 100 miles on dry roads, then start using more and more lean over the next few miles,
seen too many end up on there bum with new tyres

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts

I'd go easy on both the tires and brakes. Every place I've been to where I've picked up either a car or the Burgman from and they've replaced the brakes mentioned that. Maybe it is so the adhesive holding the pads on, will get heated up from gentle braking and bond better?

Some people will take sandpaper to the tire tread area to roughen it up. I did that once when I replaced the tires in the Fall or Winter. With all the rain, it didn't make sense to take a chance. Otherwise, I'd take your corners gently at first to get used to the feeling of the new tires. Once you're used to them, lean over more and more. In the summer, I don't think it is as big a deal as in wet conditions.

Chris

·
Registered
1,664 Posts

Ralph M said:
About 100 miles on dry roads, then start using more and more lean over the next few miles,
seen too many end up on there bum with new tyres
I agree 100% with Ralph......!!!! Use TLC for about 50-100 miles....... ON BOTH.......!!!!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Would it be safe to put hwy miles on the tires right away? Could I do say...10miles city- and then hop on the fwy? I've no problem getting 100miles on the tires and brakes 1st... but 100miles city would take me the better part of a week- vs. easily doing it in a good day.

·
Premium Member
700 Posts

A hundred highway miles could result in the brakes being used only once - at the end of the highway! Also, highway miles will only scrub up the centre of the tyre tread area, not the whole of it.

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts

brandonc_mail...just ride it and don't push the bike to the limits, and you'll be fine. If you plan to do some canyon carving, try not to clamp on the brakes as hard as you can for awhile.

Chris

·
Registered
1,080 Posts

It is very easy to break in the brakes and tires. Just hop on the scoot and spend about 3 hours on the back roads around where you live. That way the brakes and tires get about 50 to 60 miles on them and you should be good for anything after that.

Bill

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

So the work is done...picked it up as scheduled and after a few soft stops the front brake is already squealing. I replaced with the EBC Sintered HH brakes (parts indicated by Daboo in another thread) Is this normal? Will it go away?

Also w/ the other brake pads (I assume stock) the front and rear felt equal in strength - yet looking at the old pads- the brake wear is about equal- yet now the front brake is much more sensitive or I should say stiffer to handle and the rear- kinda soft and much easier to pull... any thoughts?

I'm no expert- but these old brakes practically looked new, but I wanted piece of mind and thought it good to replace them...now I'm wondering if these EBC pads were a mistake or did the dealer not install something correctly?

Way to early to tell how I like the tires better- again- all this was more for piece of mind (4year old tires & brakes and battery on a used bike I picked up a few hundred miles ago)

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Ok- so have done only a little bit of driving w/ the new brakes and tires as I've been away. I noticed no shims or spacers were used with the new brakes- the old ones are still on the old brakes- and looking at the calipers I see it's just the pads... is that a little strange or are the EBC really that thick? Also with the bike turned off there's a fair amount of brake drag noise when moving the tires (was rotating to check the tire pressure.)

Any feedback would be appreciated- shouldn't the front wheel move rather freely? Are shims/spacers required for proper brake pad installation? And when should I expect the front brake to stop squealing?

·
Registered
1,177 Posts

The shims are often referred to as "anti squeal shims" that should tell us something.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts