Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI all,

Next year I plan to buy a scooter to join my DR 650 in the garage. I purchased the DR with expectations to travel the world but now realize it is a blast for offroad runs and short commutes to work but it is not for me for rides over an hour.

I want to look at all contenders. The suzuki 400 and 650, the honda 600, Kymco 500 (a true 500cc motor), aprilla atlantic 500 (460cc ). It seems the 460cc engine is in a bunch of mega scooters and the scooters looks/feel for me would be the driving force for the choice.

I have not been able to find a good source comparing MPG, storage, comfort (subjective) and ride impressions/comparisons.

I bought my first bike with expectations of how I thought I would ride, Now I have a much better idea how I will be riding and dont want to miss the best fit for me.

Thanks, Joe

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
One other thing I forgot to ask....

how hard are the engines working at certian speeds?

40mph, 50mph, 60, 70,

I would not want the moter to be screaming while going with the flow of traffic at 65mph.

Anyone Know where I might find this info?

Joe

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
well - i have a link to a pdf file on my website. its a maxiscooter shootout article, but it doesn't cover all the ones you mentioned. if you want to see it, click my website below my signature. if youre on a dial up it may take a while to download - also, youll need a pdf reader (adobe acrobat).
HTH.
Pedz

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the link, I wish the Kymco 500 was in the mix. There is a bit of a gap in the prices and I only want to buy a little bit more than what I need. My 650 single DR is enough performance for me, Gets 48-56 mpg and is fun. A 460cc MIGHT be enough, as long as it does not feel like I am killing it on the highway. (2-4 600 mile round trips a year). In the DC area the automatic willl be a blessing in traffic. I was dissapointed to see mileage listed in the high 40s mpg. I expected better with a smaller single .

Thanks for the quick responce.

joe

·
Registered
96 Posts
I ride one of those 460cc scoots

And in all honesty, it can keep speed easily on the highway. Riding at 65 or 70mph is easy.

However, I'll also be first to point out that on a windy day it won't hold the road like the big 650 will. The Burgman has a wider patch of rubber on the road and it weighs more. That equates to a more solid ride at speed on the big asphalt.

That's the truth.

I'm riding a Aprilia Scarabeo 500 (460cc) and for me it was my choice but on the super slab no scoot can compete with the Burgman 650.

It is simply huge too, so you might want to check it out closely. For example, many have dropped then maneuvering in their garages as it is a beast.

Ride safe,

Mybug (aka a Scarabeo beetle)

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the response Mybug.

I am a big guy,6' 275lb. and dont want to feel like I am in slow motion. around town any of them will do and be better than clutching/shifting 20 times up to a stop sign on a slight incline like I sometimes find myself doing. All the scooters have better wind protection over the DR as well.

I just dont want to be very dissapointed on the few trips a year I plan on doing. All the seats are bigger and better padded than what I am used to so confort is up. I would not describe the DR as a powerhouse but it feels right powerwise.

Does anyone here have experience with a DR 650? how does the460cc compare?

thanks, Joe

·
Registered
239 Posts
Reading between your lines, Joe, it's very apparent that you really want/need a 650 Burgman. You won't be satisfied with anything less!

Cheers,

Bob

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bob,

That was how I got the DR 650. I bought what I wanted/THOUGHT I needed. I dont want to do the same thing. I did not love the feeling of flying down the highway on the DR. I might not like it any better on the Big Burgman. I know I would like to save 1200-2100 on a lesser scooter as long as it does ok. I have no problem giving up performance for economy. (I used to have a CRX HF while friends went with the sporty CRX SI) . I was looking for a scooter shootout that would have opinions of the bikes as well as the economy, rpms etc. Most folks here are going to love or hate what they have and wish or want something else. I love my DR650 but it does not do all I want from it. I have not ridden any of them yet or even sat on them. The 650 V-strom was going to be my next bike for sure then I started thinging of the automatic. There is alot to think of and take in.

If money was not a concern I would get the 650 Burgman and a 250 honda scooter for the in town trips (well plus the V-Strom)

thanks Bob

Joe

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
DNFjoe said:
(I used to have a CRX HF while friends went with the sporty CRX SI)
Using that analogy - I'd say a 400 would be just fine.

Where the big burger comes into play is when pulling loads up long steep grades (say, the grapevine on I-5 in CA!?) that would grind down a smaller displacement vehicle....running at 75 - 80 (true) mph for tank after tank.....carrying a passenger or loads for long distances.......bling factor.......acting like speed racer and snapping up thru the 5 speed just for smiles and grins.

If that all doesn't matter - from what I've read here - the 400 is a helluva scoot. I just went to my Suzuki dealer here in Ft. Walton and they had an 05 400 on the floor and a 650 that they had not put out yet. The price on the 400 was in the upper 5's (don't recall exactly) and that seemed a heck of a lot more affordable than 7 something. Plus it looked really cool. I bought a new ICON mil spec safety vest while I was there.

Just another 2 cents.

edited for the grapevine analogy addition...now thats a test of grunt! :twisted:

·
Registered
553 Posts
DNFjoe said:
Thanks for the response Mybug.

I am a big guy,6' 275lb. and dont want to feel like I am in slow motion. around town any of them will do and be better than clutching/shifting 20 times up to a stop sign on a slight incline like I sometimes find myself doing. All the scooters have better wind protection over the DR as well.

I just dont want to be very dissapointed on the few trips a year I plan on doing. All the seats are bigger and better padded than what I am used to so confort is up. I would not describe the DR as a powerhouse but it feels right powerwise.

Does anyone here have experience with a DR 650? how does the460cc compare?

thanks, Joe
I also weigh about what you do and yesterday my wife and I rode our 400 170 miles and she weighs about 170 plus about halfway on our trip we stopped at a little fea market and found a set of do it yourself books and after a little hagging we bought them 11 books in all and I had taken a couple of bags that were made to hang on a tree stand and we put six of the books in one bag and seven in the other along with the other stuff we already had in them and we had them hanging from the passinger grab rails. There were wind gusts of up to 25 mph and with both of us and the weigh of the books (which I'm guessing at about 60 to 70 lbs) and not to mention every thing we had in the under the seat storage the 400 went right on down the road at 70 mph with all that weigh and wind and never complained a bit.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
swstiles,

thanks for the post, that puts me at ease more. What kind of MPG do you get when riding like that and also what rpms are you spinning at 50,60,70mph?

Most of the magizine articles have been possitive of any scoots tested thought the 650 Burgman seems to be the benchmark they don't measure up to.

Some of the magizines are testing one scooter at a time and when they compare another it is not on the same trip/route so I dont know how much I can take from an article as an apples to apples comparison. RoadRunners had 2 write ups on aprillia's Atlantic and Scarab?? and though they have the same engine the atlantic was reported as averaging 56mpg over the test miles and the Scarab only 47.5. to me that is a huge difference. Piaggio uses that same engine in their mega scooter and I did not find any mpg or rpm info. On review in a british magizine reported the 400 burgman can deliver 70mpg, which I dont believe seeing the other results of other scooters. that Same magizine reported the SilverWing will deliver in the 30's mpg if ridden agressively. That's not too impressive to me. The more I read the more I question the info I am receiving. Kymco has a true 500cc out or coming out soon that I have not seen any info on yet. I have a dealer 10 minutes away and plan to check it out if I see possitive things about it.

Well enough rambling, thaks for the info,

joe

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
DNFjoe said:
...On review in a british magizine reported the 400 burgman can deliver 70mpg, which I dont believe seeing the other results of other scooters.
That sounds right to me.

70 miles per Imperial gallon = about 58.5 miles per US gallon. (The Imperial gallon is equal to 1.2 US gallons.)

Since I get anywhere from 45 - 50MPG on my 650, I would think a 400 should be able to get 58 easily.

·
Super Moderator
8,078 Posts
Brian said:
DNFjoe said:
...On review in a british magizine reported the 400 burgman can deliver 70mpg, which I dont believe seeing the other results of other scooters.
That sounds right to me.

70 miles per Imperial gallon = about 58.5 miles per US gallon. (The Imperial gallon is equal to 1.2 US gallons.)

Since I get anywhere from 45 - 50MPG on my 650, I would think a 400 should be able to get 58 easily.
When I owned a 400 I got 60 mpg US at the worst and 70 mpg US average, riding 2 up @ 55-60 mph. Higher speed Does cost you mileage.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Jim said:
Brian said:
DNFjoe said:
That sounds right to me.

When I owned a 400 I got 60 mpg US at the worst and 70 mpg US average, riding 2 up @ 55-60 mph. Higher speed Does cost you mileage.
So there you go, DNFjoe; a 400 rider says he got 60MPG at the low end of real world riding, and the British magazine got about 60 (58.5) in their testing, so that seems to be a pretty reliable figure. And remember, that's the low end; you'd probably do better on average.

·
Registered
969 Posts
We got around 70 on Chickenman's 400 over 190 miles (one tank), two-up, (around 300 lbs. total) in Hawaii. I was suitably impressed!

Steve

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Joe,

The best MPG I've had on the 400 is 75 MPG and the worst it 48. The 75 was all below 60 MPH and the 48 was mostly at 80 MPH 1-up and some 2-up city riding. I'm somewhat aggressive in my riding style and usually get in the mid 50s. 400 riders with a relaxed riding style have reported consistant 70 MPG out of the 400s.

RPM info was posted at :

http://burgmanusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2810

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
bill, thanks for the link. Someone in the posts mentioned they did not have a tach and drive what they feel comfortable, my DR is like that and I never really gave any thoght to "what is my rpm while driving?" I shift when I need to, I guess the scooters will do the same.

Thanks to everyone for the insight. I am checking the powersports network link now as well for additional info.

Joe

·
Registered
553 Posts
gas mileage

DNFjoe said:
swstiles,

thanks for the post, that puts me at ease more. What kind of MPG do you get when riding like that and also what rpms are you spinning at 50,60,70mph?
Well enough rambling, thaks for the info,

joe
The gas mileage for that trip was 50.05 mpg. I have been getting an average of about 60 mpg riding one up. I think that the mileage will be even better than that because so far we have not had a day of riding where it was not windy and the engine should be broke in good now (3200) miles and another factor is that most of my riding so far has been in cold weather and I think that the mileage will increase in the warmer weather. ( I believe that the sensor makes the gas a richer mix in colder weather)
Oh, The RPM's were just barely over 6000 at 70 mph if I remember correctly.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts