Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

41 - 60 of 70 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 · (Edited)
Dance Band on The Majestic .....Plans have emerged to commission a £190 million tribute to Prince Philip in the shape of a new royal yacht, funded by the UK taxpayer.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
21,000mph is about 20% higher than orbital velocity at 120 miles/200km altitude (low earth orbit).
It is, however, less than earth's escape velocity of just over 25,000mph.

As a figurative expression of "this is really, really fast" it's fine.
Anything faster than the SR-71 really ought to stay on the far side of the Kármán Line. Just sayin'.

·
Premium Member
4,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 · (Edited)
21,000mph is about 20% higher than orbital velocity at 120 miles/200km altitude (low earth orbit).
It is, however, less than earth's escape velocity of just over 25,000mph.

As a figurative expression of "this is really, really fast" it's fine.
Anything faster than the SR-71 really ought to stay on the far side of the Kármán Line. Just sayin'.
So if the earth spins at 1000 mph west to east how high would you have to go in North Carolina and how long would you have to wait for California to be under you ?

I’m sorta asking this question:
If a helicopter were to hover for 12 hours, why wouldn't it end up halfway around the world?
How high do you have to be to realize the rotation ?(whats the scientific term for that elevation)

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
Too late.

if you jump up in a bullet train you land where you took off, not in the carriage behind.
You, the train and it’s atmosphere have one relative speed.

if you jumped out the roof you would crash into molecules of air or whatever and that would slow you down - but jump out of the planets atmosphere and you crash into...?

For the helicopter: over a pilots life time they will fly against the earths rotational effects if you average every hover.
There is a fictitious force known as the coriolis effect which shapes global winds like the west to east jet stream. Weather may blow in different directions each day but the global trend will be one way.
(it actually creates circular cells resulting in Trade Winds but I’m trying to simplify it)

so local wind is the larger influence and on any given day you fly the winds you get (Which might be significant airspeed for zero ground speed, or not)

You could go straight up and high the jet stream but getting there and staying there expends more energy than going to your destination directly (Unless using lighter than air aircraft)

Even at Space Station heights/orbit you are in strong earth gravity and have to defeat that gravity by expending energy. Far less energy required to just go where you want to be.

·
Registered
2013 Suzuki Burgman 650 ABS
3,930 Posts

·
Registered
3,930 Posts
How fast was that apple going?
Did he just toss it straight up in the air and let the spin of the earth put it over him before it came back down?
If the apple knocked him out did it make a noise?

Reactions: mikeyMarine

·
Premium Member
4,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
but ,, but einstein says there's no such thing as gravity, just a space time curve,,, SO newton threw an apple at him
Then a Fig Bagel hit Nikola Tesla....proving ....for every action there is an unintended reaction.... but it’s all for the good.

·
Registered
23 Posts
A dictionary and the speech would serve you better than a pilot.

Viewing the entire quote:
”To be able, figuratively, if you may...”

“Figuratively” as in symbolic, not literal (at unimaginable speed, impossibly fast etc)
He qualifies that it isn’t a literal expected speed but a mind boggling figure.

He literally stated he wasn’t being literal, but I suspect everybody already knew that.

might be time to give BUSA a miss; too much political silliness.
Remember when they fact checked all of Trump's hyperbole?

·
Registered
3,930 Posts
now now... lets NOT go there.

Same should be done for the current guy.

Reactions: Charbroil and JRoss

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
Members voted against political posts and people mostly made the effort to keep it off the boards from then on and moved it to private conversations or not at all.

·
Administrator
21,724 Posts
A little fact about gravity and speed.
A high powered sniper rifle shoots a bullet at hypersonic speeds so that the bullet will hit you before you hear the shot.
If you shoot that bullet at a 90 degree axis to the earth and at the same time drop a same size and weight bullet from the rifle barrel height, both will hit the ground within miliseconds of each other.

Reactions: Rusty J

·
Premium Member
4,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 · (Edited)
A high powered sniper rifle shoots a bullet at hypersonic speeds so that the bullet will hit you before you hear the shot.
If you shoot that bullet at a 90 degree axis to the earth and at the same time drop a same size and weight bullet from the rifle barrel height, both will hit the ground within miliseconds of each other.
Speaking of shooting and shots....how you feeling today?

·
Administrator
21,724 Posts
Sore all over. Seems like I have a chest and head cold.

Yesterday on the way home I was in the HOV lane doing 'Flow of traffic' (75 in a 60 MPH zone) when a Harley 117 passed me on the left side, in my lane. I passed him (80 MPH) in the normal lane and gave him the "1 finger extended" wave as I went by. He tried to pass me again and at 99 MPH I let him.
From 80 MPH to 99 MPH I was not pulling away but he was also not catching me until I let off to slow back to 75 MPH and gave him a second wave with same finger extended.

Reactions: DarisPakar

·
Registered
760 Posts
gravity 🤯

·
Registered
3,930 Posts
Wow, that's pretty heavy dude.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Seems plausible -- even a sniper rifle doesn't have enough range for the Earth's curvature to have a noticeable effect (though terrain elevation would).

·
Administrator
21,724 Posts
Another gravity fact.
Take two telephone poles 250 apart. Now take 260 feet of telephone airal wire that the coil weight is about 25 pounds. Stretch it out taunt so its attached to both poles. You will not be able to pull by hand the sag out of the middle of the span as its about 400 pounds of tension. Gravity gets to pull down on every inch of that 260 feet. The sag will be about 5 feet down and 5 feet back up, that's why it takes 260 feet to go 250 between poles.

Reactions: DarisPakar

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
They put the sag in on purpose to hide that the the earth is actually flat.

Gravity is weird. It isn’t very strong (we can lift a pebble or defeat with a magnet) but it extends a really long way (Space Station altitude is around 90% surface gravity).

41 - 60 of 70 Posts