Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

281 - 300 of 701 Posts

·
Administrator
17,687 Posts
Wow. WOW!!!

Let us know when it really hits ya that

"Stick a fork in it.... it's DONE!"

Unlike you, my boss was NOT so nice about it.
I went to work Dec 1st 2015 and they had not met my demands (On an official letter dated Nov 1st 2015). I told them I resigned and they did not believe me. The boss said for me to go to work for the day and then come back around 3 PM for the paper work but I refused. He got into a one sided screaming match at me and the 3rd level 'Director' had him leave the building for an hour while HR did the paperwork.

Nov 2 was my real last day of work but I took 3 weeks Vacation and 1 week personal TO. It really hit me Dec 5th when I did not have the Saturday shift. I still got up and rode the 42 miles to have breakfast with the guys and they said Dispatch was trying to contact me as I had 5 jobs assigned to my day.... No one had told Dispatch.

But the best day was Jan 4th 2016's mail. There was a Check in the mailbox from Frontier Comm for around $300,000 for my GTE Phone company pension. Nice coup de grâce to my former boss.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #282
Ducati14,

“And in my family constellation”..... Wow Dude ! You just blew me away ! I googled to see if anyone else had ever placed those words together.....

I wanna ride and learn from you Bub !

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #283 (Edited)
I know you guys must have heard of a Fraternal Organization known as the Odd Fellows :

Today 3/24/20 In the most chaotic time of modern history.... I humbly propose the Conception and Development of the Royal Order of Odder Fellows with Ducati14 being the 1st Grand Wizard and Dave_J as the 1st Grand Wizard in Training. We await your instructions Our Odder Wise Elders .

·
Premium Member
7,646 Posts
Well dudes, I pulled the pin today. I quit, resigned, retired.
I feel quite relieved to have made this decision. If we come through this, I may actually live to find out if my pension will be sufficient to have made it worthwhile not to have died in harness.
Full retirement can be horrible, especially if you are an active minded person, I encourage you to get a hobby, something you have never done before , to keep the mind learning and the hands working. I have seen many who retired, sit down and die. a slow death , horrible . Die screaming and smiling, much better. (I was medically retired and spent almost 2 years lying flat on my back and only going to doctors appointments and hospitals for surgery, took up sewing by hand, fingers were sore but my mind stayed active doing something other than thinking about how bored and physically limited I was.) ( I learned it is a real bad idea to get run over by 2 fork lifts)

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #286 (Edited)
Full retirement can be horrible, especially if you are an active minded person, I encourage you to get a hobby, something you have never done before , to keep the mind learning and the hands working. I have seen many who retired, sit down and die. a slow death , horrible . Die screaming and smiling, much better. (I was medically retired and spent almost 2 years lying flat on my back and only going to doctors appointments and hospitals for surgery, took up sewing by hand, fingers were sore but my mind stayed active doing something other than thinking about how bored and physically limited I was.) ( I learned it is a real bad idea to get run over by 2 fork lifts)
Credit for this picture needs to be given to my second best friend at the Kitty Kat Club....Marshal Dillion and myself are best friends with Ms. Kitty

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #287

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
My concern for my american friends and colleagues is that because the pandemic was not taken seriously and (still) played down they may well get hit worse than any other country has so far (2 friends in particular have no chance of fighting it off) - and then the US become a resevoir that reinfects the rest of the world.

The US is on a worse trajectory than anywhere else has been at the same stage (date since 100 cases)

Planning/production etc didn’t kick in until days ago and numbers/locations are unknown. Going into battle without knowing where or how large your enemy isn’t a great recipe for success.

Geographically it’s a problem too - all the erroneous talk about open borders in Europe ignores the fact that there are no borders at all between States. Firefighting in one area might be successful but immediately relit from another unexpected area.

I think there are problems with the UK response too - but we don’t have secular or religious leaders or tv stations saying “it’s nothing” “traffic accidents kill more” or that a remedy will be available next week (fewer “God’s revenge for gays“ and conspiracy theories but it exists at a low level).

Being a smallish island(s) and free healthcare has some advantage.
Not sure we pulled the trigger on lockdown soon enough or production big enough but time will tell.

·
Registered
911 Posts
I read that that Taiwan was infected the same time as Canada but are fighting it off better. They cranked up production and made a law that prevents the raising of prices on things like masks and sanitizer. All the kids are in school wearing masks and learning proper hand-washing. They take their masks off at lunch time and eat at their desks in a plastic or cardboard surround (like a voter’s cubicle). And they ‘ve got like 22,000,000 souls on an island not much different in size than Vancouver Island. Good on them.

·
Registered
911 Posts
The Odd Fellows logo is two thirds Olympic. Though I am hardly more odd than the next man, I believe I fall far short of Grand Wizard caliber (though I want to be in any auditions they hold for the Canadian Olympic snoring team). Also, I abhor pointy hoods with cut-out holes for eyes - and I’d be sure to catch my wardrobe on fire with my torch and burn down the whole troop - even though the odd fellow might escape the inferno.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
The Odd Fellows logo is two thirds Olympic. Though I am hardly more odd than the next man, I believe I fall far short of Grand Wizard caliber (though I want to be in any auditions they hold for the Canadian Olympic snoring team). Also, I abhor pointy hoods with cut-out holes for eyes - and I’d be sure to catch my wardrobe on fire with my torch and burn down the whole troop - even though the odd fellow might escape the inferno.
American Odd Fellows, depending on the branch, are either non-racially-exclusive (Independent Order of Odd Fellows, since 1971) or in fact primarily African American (Grand United Order of Odd Fellows). No pointy hoods involved... I think. :)

(Not a member, but there's a building in our city's downtown that still has a sign with the IOOF three-ring logo. All I know I got from Wikipedia.)

·
Premium Member
7,646 Posts
My grandfather was a klansman, later a Mason, in his day, they were more a bunch of men from the church who had "come to Jesus" meetings with other men who didn't take care of their family, or worse, treated them badly, or were repeat "criminal" offenders. My father's generation was the group that got race and right all confused and then it all went under hoods, and disappeared. Me, I joined an organization whose theory was (and is still sometimes)kill em all, God will sort it out. But they don't let us out of our cages often.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #293 (Edited)
mikeyMarine,

Are you a native Floridian ?
Did the girl with the donuts stop by yet ?

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #295

·
Premium Member
7,646 Posts
Floridian, well, I was born here in this county, but, just because a cat had kittens in the oven, that don't make "em biskits. All my people are from south alabama, been there, right outside the gate when God pushed great grandpa Adam out. No donuts yet but I have a beverage ready to help wash it down.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
I’m seeing a lot of reports that US government is cancelling order for motor companies and Ventec to retool and produce 20,000 ventilators a month.

Ford and GM had already started procuring components so I’m not sure what the detail of the change is but it doesn’t sound good at first reading.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #299
Wife just got a text from a nurse we know here in Austin, Tx

“We seen our first death today from the virus. We have 11 patents today from two yesterday.”

281 - 300 of 701 Posts