Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

261 - 280 of 701 Posts

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #261
I was one of those ID10T kids that went thru the Herpes/Aids Luv Bug Scare ..... Back then you could buy a pickle bucket of draft beer for $8 ......boy I miss those days.

·
Registered
441 Posts
The younger they are it seems the more they think they won't be infected or contribute to the spread.
In southern hospitals, half of the new infected are the parents of the students that "assaulted" the trains to flee from Milan when the lockdown was declared.

·
Premium Member
7,646 Posts
The spring breakers are a bit self centered but we all were at that age, and they are young and healthy so they have the attitude "it's not dangerous for me" and they are right, I think self quarantine is the fight idea, but limited to those at risk for serious symptoms, like maybe those over 50, and also younger people with pre existing health problems, 50 may be a bit young but an abundance of caution. (this would allow the Klub to re open and keep those nice girls employed)

·
Registered
911 Posts
Tocilizumab - thanks Purduz.

“The infection is called COronaVIrusDecember2019” - thanks Bluebottle - I used this in a message to some of my clinic colleagues and felt so intelligent. When it went from “novel corona virus” to covid-19, I wondered what the new name was all about. I still don’t get the “novel” part.

Plastic shields are going up in front of grocery cashiers here to protect them and their customers oral spray. They are also marking the floors to emphasize the social distancing required in the check-out line ups. A plan to introduce early hours for “seniors only“ shopping is a strategy to prevent panic buyers from hoarding supplies before others have a chance to get basics.

Dave_J better than being negative for covid19,I think, is to be positive for it but with less than an extreme version of it that you survive. And then, presumably, one can go back to full participation in society with out fear of being “infected” again - having being granted immunity via successful resolution of the initial infection. Thanks for sharing the Rhine cruise photo. My mother died also in 2002 as a result of blood dyscrasias caused by long term arthritic pharmaceuticals.

Mikey - what’s the plan to get the thyroid back under regulation?

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
When it went from “novel corona virus” to covid-19, I wondered what the new name was all about. I still don’t get the “novel” part.
“Novel” Is used in its literal meaning of “new and original/unique”.
As in ”a novel idea” is a new one that nobody had before.

It wasn’t really a name, it just differentiated it from the existing human coronaviruses - the older ones that give you a cold (4 main families) plus SARS or MERS.

Novel is a better word than “new” because it makes it clear that it isn’t just a new variant or combination of the old ones -
Variant/mutations happen a lot, but one freaky thing about viruses is that they can combine features from 2,3,4 completely different viruses:

So if 2 viruses infect the same cell and convince it to produce virus components and those then assemble themselves as normal - you can get bits of both in the same package.
This is what happened with Swine Flu which is thought to be a product of 4 different virus resulting from a pig catching the original virus from a human mixing it up with a pig virus and then later passing back into humans bringing elements that couldn’t be passed in their original virus that only infected pigs.

That also means that if there is bat disease that can’t infect humans but can infect another species and that species can catch a different virus from humans - the middle species can be a mixing pot and pass it back to us as a new disease with very different properties.

Mostly it is due to receptors and cleavage sights in the outer layer of the virus. If species doesn’t have the receptors on its cells that match the one on the virus then they won’t attach, which means they can’t gain access to the cell.

·
Premium Member
7,646 Posts
Tocilizumab - thanks Purduz.

“The infection is called COronaVIrusDecember2019” - thanks Bluebottle - I used this in a message to some of my clinic colleagues and felt so intelligent. When it went from “novel corona virus” to covid-19, I wondered what the new name was all about. I still don’t get the “novel” part.

Plastic shields are going up in front of grocery cashiers here to protect them and their customers oral spray. They are also marking the floors to emphasize the social distancing required in the check-out line ups. A plan to introduce early hours for “seniors only“ shopping is a strategy to prevent panic buyers from hoarding supplies before others have a chance to get basics.

Dave_J better than being negative for covid19,I think, is to be positive for it but with less than an extreme version of it that you survive. And then, presumably, one can go back to full participation in society with out fear of being “infected” again - having being granted immunity via successful resolution of the initial infection. Thanks for sharing the Rhine cruise photo. My mother died also in 2002 as a result of blood dyscrasias caused by long term arthritic pharmaceuticals.

Mikey - what’s the plan to get the thyroid back under regulation?
Change prescriptions by .15 once a year till they get it right meanwhile I still sweat like a crackhead at a police barbecue.
So many things being done, plastic barrier, 6 ft markers, for a substance that floats in air currents for hours. Well somethin is better than nothing I guess. I'ma start wearin a goldfish bowl on my head like they do in the hospital.

Cleavage?? did somebody say cleavage?

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #270

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
UK just went into lockdown.
No gatherings of more than 2.
Non essential shops and places of worship closed. No non-essential travel

·
Premium Member
7,646 Posts
UK just went into lockdown.
No gatherings of more than 2.
Non essential shops and places of worship closed. No non-essential travel
hang in there, we'll be prayin for ya, It's a good time to get some neglected reading and cussing done.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #274
Gatherings of two ??

·
Registered
441 Posts
it was about time!
My daughter was still going to work 'cause the place is open as is considered a "food shop". She was happy about it 'cause she need to pay the rent.
About me, i'm more happy if she stays home and i have to send money.
But our principles are going against me: she is that kind of person that hates to asks, as she likes to be independent. (yes, i'm so proud of my sons :) )

·
Administrator
17,687 Posts
Not a political statement.
I would hope that every Country gets on the ball and make some money available to displaced workers as an income replacement.

Without being too political, it has started in USA but again the nutcases in charge (BOTH SIDES) are in fighting and doing the political chess game all the while the 'John Q Public' looses.

The political parties, both sides, need to pull their heads out their arses and stop using us as pawn pieces on their chess board.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #277
I’m with you Dave_J.....most restaurants and small businesses lease their buildings paying twice the cost of utilities and so many extra fees and taxes to employ people .... They will be the ones driven out of business.

·
Registered
441 Posts
To put some lightweight on this all, this is a collection of Italian Mayors going emotional about the lockdown.
The fun part is that they're usually rural ppl, they often doesn't even speak Italian but the local dialect (a language on its own).

This twitter link explains it even better:

·
Registered
441 Posts
I would hope that every Country gets on the ball and make some money available to displaced workers as an income replacement.
I didnt want to derail on this. we were both writing.

I hear you, the problem is serious. Here we workers (i mean: employees and salary) have good "economic dampeners", which is the heritage from the workers and syndacates "social battles" in the after-war economic boom.

Big problems are for small enterprises and free-lancers, which on paper should earn more enough than workers to be able to ... "protect themselves"; they have much more less economical protection, and in reality they were struggling under too much taxes so they have saved nothing to save for these events.

Our economy is made by millions of family-driven enterprises, even some of the most tech sectors. These are our best "mid-class" and they're disappearing.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Well dudes, I pulled the pin today. I quit, resigned, retired. I have been working in health care - an HIV/AIDS specialty since 1990. Nursing and education and media background.
At 73, i have been deliberating on when I should retire and have been searching for a sign. That sign came at a press conference Saturday when our Chief Public Health Officer told Manitobans that if they were over 65 with an underlying health condition that they should “stay home” and ”self isolate”. To bring it to a fine point I was notified that I was being scheduled for heart surgery (ablation) on April 23rd. I knew the guy must be speaking directly to me.

I took my letter of resignation to my boss this morning and I was quite overwhelmed by how supportive she was. She knows that if I am infected at my age - if there is a shortage of equipment - the system is prepared to throw me under the bus. And in my family constellation - I am the weak link if I remain at work while everyone else is self-isolating.

So I will be increasing my odds for delaying a possible infection. The federal government is now threatening Canadians with a state of emergency as many of the younger generation have ignored the rules of gathering in groups, so I am expecting a crackdown of authoritarian proportions. But as one doctor said there is more to health than just avoiding the virus. Yes, get some fresh air and walk the dog - just maintain social distancing while you do so.

I feel quite relieved to have made this decision. If we come through this, I may actually live to find out if my pension will be sufficient to have made it worthwhile not to have died in harness.

261 - 280 of 701 Posts