Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 314 Posts

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know Burgman Riders cross all lines of endeavors .....Do we have a Doctor or Someone connected to the Medical Industry that can help us understand the Corona Virus by suggesting good Websites to follow. Please Start a New Thread and we will have the moderator delete this one.

This is the most mainstream with a somewhat reputable history to serve until we find something better.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Not a doctor, but as an Italian i may say that:
  • the amount of infection cases is somewhat related to the amount of tests done: what i mean is that i have a strong suspect (so not proofs) that while here we've done an insane amount of virus tests and we've found a lot of cases, other countries do less tests and so find less cases.
  • all the 7 dead italians were old ppl or already diseased persons (something i've not seen reported in foreign news). The virus took the last life-point, but they were already in bad condition :(
  • "normal" ppl does'nt suffer much and recovers after the treatement (sort of strong flu)
  • we adopted some drastic measures even before being struck, so it really caught us by surprise
  • still have'nt found patient 0, which is somewhat weird. Unluckly, Patient 1 (at least, the first found positive to the virus) was so much active (runner, swimmer, cyclist, and traveler) that tracking he alone lead to 3 different regions in danger.
  • also we're struck by a heavy flu (565000 flu new infections the past week) so the Patient 0 could have been treated in hospital for Flu and spread there the virus.
Really a bad luck event, in my view.

·
Premium Member
7,573 Posts
we still are not sure how it is spread, droplets seems best gues, but thru aircraft or buildind air conditioners is still a possibility, imho , trust nothing, use alcohol liberally, and some on your hands too!

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well done Parduz, I was thinking of you before posting.

Cheers Mikey ! Just don’t drink from the bottle ...use a glass.

·
Administrator
17,601 Posts
I am sure if members Solof and Rollingbones were still on here they would give their opinions. But we have a few other members that work the medical field.
Solof is a retired Ped's doctor
Rollingbones was an ER Nurse

But my take on this....
In its current form this virus is really not that strong and if you have a good immune system then just using common hand cleaning and "Cover that Chough" precautions should keep you out of trouble.

But once the virus mutates.... All bets are off and we all are zombies, all except Will Smith...... Krippin Virus in I am Legend.....

·
Administrator
17,601 Posts
OK, watching Fox news was a report about Iran and this virus.
The Iranians have an issue of how they live. I have been there and know first hand.
They have a common dinner table and everyone uses their right hand to scoop out what ever is in the serving dishes onto their plates, even at large gatherings. Hand washing is not so good in large crowds. You NEVER use your left hand for eating as they use the left hand to wipe their bumm after crapping.....

Then the Iran 'Deputy of Health Minister', DURING a news conference on this outbreak, was sweating and coughing and not covering his cough until a news reporter spoke out to him....

·
Administrator
17,601 Posts
The world markets are in a tizzy over this virus.
Yesterday we lost $16,000 on my IRA's when the market dropped. Today the market is again in the -800's (points) so I expect another $15,000 loss today.

I will move this to the Tavern as it is not General Motorcycle topic.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
I also have been watching/reading on Fox News to keep up on most of the information on this.
I do hope events work out to resolve this outbreak and this virus is overcome just as the common flu often is. Perhaps a vaccine is soon to be developed.

I was going to say something about the economics involved earlier but since @Dave_J broke the ice on that...
I have a lot of investments other than Traditional IRAs and RothIRAs (and most of those are now in tax-deferred or tax-free annuities). I'm a conservative investor. IOW, I buy and hold on for many years. This has done me very well, especially since I did my research and am invested in some really good funds (IMHO). At the end of last month the markets dropped some due to the initial minor panic when this virus started getting out of China. Then the markets recovered and even gained after that, at least in the USA. And now that it is popping up in many other places without knowing how it got there the markets are once again influenced by panic and are dropping. In the last week I have lost over $20,000 just in one of my investment accounts as of yesterday and expect much more than that after today. The DJIA is now down over 900 points and S&P is down over 100. Sure, I am loosing a fair bit of invested money. But I think the markets will recover again so I put in the order to buy more shares of my best 3 mutual funds while prices are down (sell high buy low, right?). It may go down yet a bit more but the modern stock market seems to regain its composure faster than in decades past. I've missed opportunities to buy when prices were low like this, comparatively speaking of course. Not this time. As I said I may loose a little more during this next week but I don't think there will be as much a drop in the next several days as there has been the last two and I expect things, financially, to level off somewhat. And down-turns in the markets have historically always been much shorter than up-turns, usually down 2 months to going up 6 or 10, so overall I expect to gain financially.

I really don't like gaining like this at the expense of other's suffering, but it would be foolish to pass it up. There will be, and are, opportunities to take the gains and share them with others who have needs.
-

·
Administrator
17,601 Posts
I broke the Economic wall on my last post. But I hope no one breaks the P wall.

Every place of Business or shopping should have these signs printed in POSTER size.
Cover-your-cough 1.jpg

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Administrator
17,601 Posts

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
WELL, since you mentioned it...
:eek:

no, I won't go there. Not the right place for it.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
A scandalous shame that we can’t rely on our leaders to give accurate and honest information due them protecting “the market” and/or theor own reputations.
... But once the virus mutates.... All bets are off and we all are zombies, all except Will Smith......
:)
“Mutate” and “zombie” are interesting words when talking about virus.
They can steal DNA code and use it to mutate. A bacteria that infects spiders formed a tough shell to defend against a virus. This virus infects bacteria - yet it stole DNA from the spider that Is responsible for producing venom and then used the venom to break down the casing of the bacteria.
They are amazing things.

Like Zombies, they are not alive - but if they come across a suitable living cell they turn it into one of their own, a zombie factory creating components for more zombies and assembling them.

I doubt that Covid-19 is “the big one”, but the world is jumpy because the more sophisticated we become, the more vulnerable we are to the little blighters (not that I’m qualified in any way)

·
Administrator
17,601 Posts
And NO Mikey, you do not get this by drinking Corona with a lime. Leave out the lime and all bets are off.

·
Premium Member
7,573 Posts

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
OK, watching Fox news was a report about Iran and this virus.
The Iranians have an issue...
It is significant that Iran will not impose quarantine for economic/religious reasons.

Much of the world is adopting anti-expert/anti-science views, this Comes with a price attached.

·
Super Moderator
2,218 Posts
Kinda reminds me of my fav documentary.
Just do a vaccine and tell 'em it has electrolytes.

It is significant that Iran will not impose quarantine for economic/religious reasons.

Much of the world is adopting anti-expert/anti-science views, this Comes with a price attached.

·
Premium Member
7,573 Posts
so, the joke goes , personal ad, man with coronavirus searching for woman with lime disease,
but seriously, i don't understand, this virus sometimes causes no symptoms, (kinda hard to detect that,) and so isn't debilitating, sometimes causes cold and/or flu symptoms, duh we get these every year, and sometimes kills people, but at present, like all the flu viruses before, not scads of people, seems peanut allergy kills more, yet everyone has their panties in a wad about it and what it MIGHT turn in to. I MIGHT win the lotto or lose my good looks and charm, but... and previous flu viruses have failed to mutate and kill off enough stupid people to raise the literacy rate.
I just get a "the sky is falling" feeling here. However, if I am wrong, and the virus kills me, I will make it a point to post an apology.

1 - 20 of 314 Posts