Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious if any of you have a top case as large as the Givi 55 liter size. I am really liking the looks of the e55 Maxia, but concerned it will be too big on my 400.

If anyone could provide a photo of theirs, that would be appreciated.

Any comments would be great as well:)

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
I think it's about the right size.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
I have the 55L Maxia on my SYM RV-250 and in a couple of weeks it will be moving over to my new Burgman 650. I love that case and IMHO, it can never be too big especially if you enjoy some touring.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Depends on how it is loaded. The bigger the topbox the bigger the tendency to fill it up. Loading some groceries and riding across town should not be a problem. Loading it with heavy items for a long trip could be. I forget what they give as a suggested load but it s not much in weight and it can certainly have an effect on you in heavy side winds.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Just keep the contents light...blankets, rain gear, clothes, shoes...great. Tools, phone directories, or jugs of water...not so much!

I got the Bestem 42L for my birthday...might look a little weird, but I don't care!

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Not a Burgman 400 and not a Givi box but I run a Bestem 929 at 46 liters on my 650. Rides real nice back there. I had it mounted to my V-Strom before I bought the Burgman and didn't like it on that bike. Not because of appearance, it looked okay but because it was too wide and caused the front of that bike to unload because it was catching the wind and causing lift). Not sure how much wind the front of the Burgman 400 keeps away from the back of the bike but it is something to think about.

Doug

·
Registered
345 Posts
I've got an e55 on my 400. It's HUGE.
looks wider than the scooter when viewed from the back, and sticks up very high from the base plate.
If I were to do it again, I'd get a 48 liter GIVI for the 400.
I had a 929 Bestem before, and found that size to be just right for 90% of what I need to carry.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Jedd, do you have a picture by chance? The one in the avatar doesn't look too big.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Too much luggage carrying capability? No such thing!

·
Registered
345 Posts
Jedd, do you have a picture by chance? The one in the avatar doesn't look too big.
That box pictured in my avatar is a 36L top box that I use on my CBR. It won't fit a helmet but it's the right size for rain gear, walking shoes, DSLR & zoom lens, and a laptop. It's a perfect size for a day trip out of town.

Only pic of the e55 is this one w on my new bike:

·
Registered
345 Posts
Here's a side shot of that box

·
Registered
158 Posts
I had it mounted to my V-Strom before I bought the Burgman and didn't like it on that bike. Not because of appearance, it looked okay but because it was too wide and caused the front of that bike to unload because it was catching the wind and causing lift). Doug
Doug. How did you feel lift with the 929 Bestem:confused:? Was it loaded and the weight up high or strictly a sail type lift? I have an adventure model 650V-Strom 2012 and I run the large aluminum side cases and a large bag up on the rear rack. I feel no lift or drag for that matter. My MPG average is 62mpg and I'm always wearing the side cases. Lots of folks on Stromtroopers have the 929 and I was headed that way also. I would like some input on how it impacted the ride of your V-Strom.....Thanks

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Well, i guess i'm a fan of big boxes for i don't find it out of proportions on the Wee. BTW a nice stable you have over there!

·
Registered
255 Posts
We run with a 52 litre cheap top box. It houses our two flip front helmets and for its price has served us well. I cannot say I have experienced any wind influence caused by the top box but then again we are two up most of the time.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Doug. How did you feel lift with the 929 Bestem:confused:? Was it loaded and the weight up high or strictly a sail type lift? I have an adventure model 650V-Strom 2012 and I run the large aluminum side cases and a large bag up on the rear rack. I feel no lift or drag for that matter. My MPG average is 62mpg and I'm always wearing the side cases. Lots of folks on Stromtroopers have the 929 and I was headed that way also. I would like some input on how it impacted the ride of your V-Strom.....Thanks
I noticed that my V-Strom seemed really light on the front end while riding at about 70mph on the Interstate. Steering inputs felt like I was running an over-inflated tire and I was getting blown around. It kind of felt like I had taken my fork brace off. Changed to a smaller top box and the bike was planted at all speeds. Oh, I also ran a Madstad bracket and 20 inch Madstad Adventure windscreen. That could affect the results too.

You mentioned side cases, I had/have Givi E-41 side cases and boy those things are huge but I never felt that they impacted the ride of the bike at all. Well, that's not entirely true... I would occasionally catch them on a pole in a parking lot because they were so wide. After a time or two of coming to an abrupt stop you learn to allow lots of space when they are on a bike. Oh, my V-Strom was a 2007 Wee - the old body style that liked to try to fly the front end unless you dropped the forks in the triple tree. I miss that bike but it had to go as I couldn't pull the clutch anymore (screwed up hand due to Rheumatoid Arthritis).

Doug

·
Registered
158 Posts
Doug. It might be the older Wee that is the problem with the front getting light. I think for the $$ that I'll have to give the 929 Bestem a try on my 2012. It's only $85 shipped with the mounting bracket and light kit. Just found a Bell Revolver EVO(Warp graphic) for $89 shipped in my size. I'm ona roll.........Thanks for the info!......Mike
PS my side cases are 48" wide... I call her J-Lo!

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have the e52 on my 650.....LOVE it!
I can get my shoei modular helmet in there with my large purse, and a skull cap style helmet as well, along with sunscreen and other small items.
Everyone who rides with me uses my storage for their riding gear and stuff no one wants to haul around, but can't leave out to get stolen.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks all!!!

A lot of great advice and opinions. I appreciate the feedback. Well I chose to order the E55-NT today and should be here in a few days. I will try and add a photo once I get it installed.

Quite a damper though as we got 4" of snow this morning��

1 - 20 of 67 Posts