Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Burgman 400 - Silver - 8600 miles - and climbing !
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my first look at CVT set up.

Quite clean very little dust & crust.

Belt looks nice condition.

Are OE belts toothed both sides ?

This one is.

I hung an inspection mirror past the Clutch bell to see behind - the material on the clutch faces seems to be 1-2mm thick.

To me, that all looks pretty serviceable for longer.

Agree or ?

Thx David

PS my CVT filter foam is a goner.

Cut a vacuum bag / wet dry vac filter & zip tie it on ???

·
Administrator
23,315 Posts
The foam Shop vac filter flows a lot of air. MikeyM patented it so send him royalties.

Some members wonder how I got 23,124 posts.

Reactions: B Getz

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok so air flow is main goal more than super fine filtration ?

I guess those fiber filters might restrict air flow.

So foam or screen mesh is best then.

Gotta do the flat part of the cyclindrical plastic cage plus edge too ?

BTW here's pics of it.

Final drive oil looks to be Dark Roast !
Automotive tire Automotive design Helmet Rim Bumper
Automotive tire Alloy wheel Automotive design Hubcap Motor vehicle

Automotive tire Wheel Tread Tire Synthetic rubber

·
Registered
2014 Burgman 400
745 Posts
" Are OE belts toothed both sides? "

Yes, and any aftermarket replacement, the ribbing give the belt more side strength/rigidity to handle more side/squeeze loads, but also allows for flexibility, some say it helps with cooling, thats a definite maybe :unsure:, you usually find them in scooters 300cc +. BTW, yes, you want a foam that flows a lot of air for filter, depending how dusty it is where you ride a screen mesh works also, your cvt looks very good so far, no indication of grease or oil contamination.

·
Administrator
23,315 Posts
Depending on your service manual for your year 400, put 10W40, 5W40 or 75W90 gear lube back in. Synthetic is best and only a few more $.

You want to filter mice, sticls and VW Bugs out. Air flow is best to keep that CVT, belt and clutch cool.

The Clutch and belt make their own dust as they ware.

·
Premium Member
18,858 Posts
Clean the metal part of the filter of all old filter, wipe with alcohol and let dry . get a book or a brick or a case of refreshing beverages that is waiting for space in the fridge, a flat surface, like that table in front of the tv swmbo is always yellin to git yer feet off of, an some glue, (i used elmers an it's been on for 3000 miles,) newspaper or something like an scissors. table, paper, (to protect yer filter) filter foam, glue on metal, metal down on foam, weight on top, wait for glue to dry , (don't worry bout screw holes except to not get glue in) after dry trim away excess foam poke screws thru holes go install on bike, have a refreshin beverage or6 while tellin swmbo how manly an smart you are an how much money you saved an maybe smooch on her a bit (dependin on how many beverages you had).

·
Super Moderator
5,875 Posts
the ribbing give the belt more side strength/rigidity to handle more side/squeeze loads, but also allows for flexibility, some say it helps with cooling, thats a definite maybe
...plus more friction material in contact without reducing flexibility.

The heat thing is based on the same idea as cooling fins etc. More surface area to dissipate heat and any internal point is nearer to an outside face.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey all great advice !

After I'm done I'm heading over to mikeyMarines as he seems to be awash in refreshing beverages....and ladies who smooch.

Ok well maybe later on that last one lol
Hair Eye Circle Font Electric blue

Actually I'm eyeing this for my CVT filter replacement...very close in diameter to plastic cage.

·
Super Moderator
5,875 Posts
Seems like the previous owner of your bike wasn’t too hot with care and maintenance.
Not an easy place to apply heat or hammer based encouragement

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
He never saw this part I can guess.

He only had for 1 year, from Original owner before that.

He only did plug, oil + F & Air Filter.

So I'm cking all that.

I'd say 80% chance that @ 8500 miles I MAY be the first to pull the CVT cover.

Gear Oil sure looked original.

On these screws, I just bought a Harbor Freight "bolstered Screwdriver set" with wrench flats that should 3x my loosening force.

Stay tuned....

·
Administrator
23,315 Posts
David, you might want to pick up an Hand Inpact from Harborfright. The slight wack of a hammer causes the screw to have shock while turning. It is the only way to remove the case screws on old Japanese bikes.

For most drain plugs on our Burgmans that use a 8mm hex, put the Phillips tip inside the holder, it is a 5/16" and is very close to 8mm.
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Camera lens Ruler Font

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Impacting on that thin aluminium (aluminum ?) casting may have not good results..:unsure:

Also, just a thought. Not all "phillips" screwdrivers are "phillips screw" drivers.
Some are JIS drivers. Best to have the correct one for the job in hand.
Edit - spelling

·
Administrator
23,315 Posts
Yes go careful with the Impact tool.

I use my Makita Impact Screw gun to loosen screws and small nut & bolts.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Wow lots of great ideas !

Couple of reflections on all that:

1 - Do we know for sure, or just suspect that those screws could be JIS ?

2 - Not a fan of the 'hammer style' impact on that somewhat delicate looking aluminum case, can you say crack it jack ?

3 - I have a medium duty Ryobi Impact that could help to pop the screw loose.

4 - I did buy the Large Screwdriver set from HFT this am = that has the big flats for wrench assist torque.

5 - I put PB blaster on it last night to soak

So somewhere in all that I think we have a solution.

The reason I'm posting so much stuff is I wan to try to get all these various maintenance items done, sans Tupperware. Once thats all back on, I'll kick myself if I forgot something obvious.

I can't imagine wanting to do that arcane process any more than necessary - less than annually I'm sure is preferred lol

Cheers - David

·
Administrator
23,315 Posts
All screws on these bikes are JIS, Japanese Industrial Standard. At least on my 2003 650

This is from our site owner:

With 90 posts in 7 days I think you have broken even Darius's record.

EDIT for spelin

1 - 20 of 45 Posts