Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone; My 2007 Executive sometimes doesn't start and I have traced it to the brake switches not working correctly, or intermittently.

But what puzzles me is: when I remove the switch (with the one screw) and remove the two wire harnesses, I jump the two wire harnesses and I get nothing. When I DON'T jump them, I get nothing. Only when I connect the switch back on and tap on it different ways, does the brake light light up (and therefore it starts).

If the switch is a simple open/close circuit, why do I not get a brake light when jumping the two wires that go to the switch, nor NOT jumping them either?? It makes no sense.

By the way, when I test the switch for continuity, It's closed (continuous) when the little button is out, and open when the button is pushed, which makes sense, because the button is normally held in by the brake lever in its resting position.

·
Registered
713 Posts
You can use either brake to start the bike. You should get a brake light on when you touch the spade connectors together. Your switch is obviously sticking so try a bit of WD40.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info! But I do know all that :)

My question is: is the switch a simple open/close circuit?

You may not be familiar with these switches, but they are a sealed system; no Water Displacer (WD40) can reach the mechanicals. You may be thinking of the starter switch, not the brake electrical switch. Also, BOTH left and right (rear and front) switches are giving me problems and has left me sit 30 miles from home.

I finally did get the jumper wire to light up the brake light (and therefore start); for some reason my jumper wire didn't work multiple, multiple times, but suddenly it does, lol. So I guess that proves it IS a simple open/closed switch.

Thanks again for the reply, but I think I got my answer with the jump wire proving it.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I thought by telling you that by touching the spades together you would get your brake light to work would have given you a hint on the switch. Quite familiar with the micro switches I have taken several apart and you can get wd 40 into them. If the spades are not squeaky clean you wont get a good circuit

·
Registered
116 Posts
maybe you got a break in the wire somewhere and switch is OK. which would be why your jumper was not working, it sounds like you still have a problem but its not the switches.
I doubt both switches would be faulty,so the Burg should still start with one of the two switches working. Is the side stand switch OK.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts