Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a new blue B-400 today. I had a 2000 goldwing ( only kept it for a season) but realized my helix I had before the GW was more practical for my daily activities.
But the GW was great for highway travels. The 400 ( shame on me I had it on the high way for about two miles) is nice but lighter and not as good of wind protection. I guess for 60 and below speeds you could travel all day.. What has been your experience with touring on the B-400.. ( I know the B-650 is almost a gold wing - but I knew my travels would rarely be more than a weekend excursion and the 650 is MUCH bigger ) I'm just wondering if long days on the 400 are butt-numbing or not.. Tom

·
Registered
30,278 Posts
In my opionon larger bikes are normally more comfortable for touring purposes. Comparing your 400 to a Goldwing isn't really a fair comparision. The 2 bikes are designed for different purposes. That said, I have ridden my 400 on a few multi-hundred mile rides. The 2 main issues are the windshield and seat. If you were to replace the windshield to provide more protection and modify the seat or replace with a Corbin (when available), I think the 400 would be more than of capable weekend touring. The Burgman 650 might be a better choice for touring, but suffers from the same wind/seat issues.

Once I have a few medical isues behind me, I do plan on taking my 400 on some longer weekend touring. I may never do the 4 corners tour on the 400, but a 1000 mile weekend is definately not out of the question.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
I took a 1,700 trip (two 500+ days) on my 400 without any problems. Most the riding was at higher speeds.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As I said, I just got this B-400 yesterday so have not tried a long trip myself. I plan to.. I guess I'm still doubting myself that I got the "right" model for me ( 400 vs. 650). Actually I am confident I did.... the size of the 400 is perfect for what I intend to do .. It will just be a nce added benefit if weekend trips are as nice as the short one I had today. What a fun machine!... It's good to know those of you that have taken longer trips lived to tell...

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Greetings, leaderdog, and welcome to the forum.

I'm a 650 owner, so can't relate directly to the 400, but I do have some general thoughts on the issue.

It sounds like you bought the 400 with a specific use in mind, and it should be almost perfect for that use.

Touring on it won't be as good as on a 650, or the Gold Wing, but since that's not the main purpose you should be able to put up with a few minor issues on the occasional tour without hitting yourself over the head for not getting something else.

If the main thing you wanted a scooter for was touring with a passenger I'd say you didn't make the best choice, but for what you intended...yeah, you got a good one.

Happy riding!

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
I think you have defined it pretty well "week end touring" the 400 will take you anywhere you care to go for two days with no problem,
and it will do the same with what's left of the week. :)
We all second guess ourselves and like to think bigger is better.
In this case bigger is not better, bigger is just more then you need 8)

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
long rides on the 400

I went on a group ride thru the Catskills and Adirondacks of New York State - over 500 miles in a weekend, with the "smallest" bike, and the only scoot in the group. The other two ladies in the group each had a Suzuki Savage, and the guys had everything from a Kawasaki ZRX to a Full-dressed Valkyrie and just about everything else in between. My Burgie and I kept up with the group just fine (limited only by my own inexperience - this was my first long group ride). I got only one derogatory comment from one of the guys (he had a Marauder) about riding "that thing" on the trip, but he was quite surprised how my "thing" handled the curves and hills. One called it a "couch on wheels". At rest stops, I always had curious onlookers hovering around my scoot, and got very positive comments from most...
I had a terrific time, and plan on going on a Vermont ride in a couple of weeks with some of the same folks. I traded a Rebel 250 for my Burgman (well, actually, my husband pulled the swap on me :) ), as I ride a fairly long commute (120 mile round trip) whenever the weather allows. The scooter is DEFINITELY a better ride for that purpose than the little cruiser. So far, she has not disappointed me in whatever I ask of her... :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts