Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife gave me permission last night to go buy myself a scooter. I'm pretty excited and have been researching all the models and came across this site. I want a scooter that I can ride on the freeway. I live near Park City, Utah which, as I'm sure some of you know, is in the mountains. I drive from Park City to Salt lake (30 minutes) all the time. My question is for the 400 owners. Does the 400 have enough power to take me up medium grade canyon roads at about 50 to 60 mph? The roads aren't extremely steep, but 4-cylinder car's top speeds are around 65 or 75 up this canyon. I know that the 650 would do just fine, but it's a little outside the allowance that my wife has given me, lol. Thanks for any replies.

Daron

·
Premium Member
2,771 Posts
Congratulations on getting permission, I just got the go ahead in early June and bought a used 650. The used 650 was lower cost by about $1000 than the 400 new. I also got a Givi Maxia E52 storage case, a Givi windshield, and a throttle lock included as well as all the owner's manual and service manual stuff. Cry once and get it all, used 650s if they were treated as nicely as mine-most everyone thought it was new-it was 2 years old-than you'll never look back and have second thoughts. The 400 is probably adequate to get up the Utah mountains ok depending on the load it is carrying, the 650 could do it with a passenger. The 400 is lighter and easier to maneuver than the 650. Try test driving both if you can and think about the long term cuz the 650 can go anywhere on paved roads and keep up with any speed limit. Just something to think about.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
If a 4 cyl. car can get to 70 going up that grade I imagine you could as well, 60 should be easy and I imagine at 50 you'd still have some reserve.
Now once you get to a 6% grade like the one dropping out of Wyoming 50-60 would be more realistic.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Going from Denver up LookOut Mountain I was able to maintain 70 until the cars in front got in the way :twisted: That stretch of road is 7% grade for the downhill, the math is too much for my brain to determine the uphill :oops:

You shouldn't have any problems on your drive.

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
I couldn't do with any less power unless I was just tooling around tourist trap beachy-type places. In my opinion, with open road riding, even the 650 is a bit of a slug. The power or manual mode "downshift" helps but.... I would be really ticked if I saw a way around a semi but couldn't because I knew I didn't have enough time/grunt. That has happened already even with my 650. Maybe big cruisers would've had to wait also...dunno. I'm just talkin bout my thoughts.

Realistically I knew niether one was all that fast/quick, but I really wanted a scooter. So - if I was going to have a scooter I was gonna get the fastest one available.

Just my .02c.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Get the 400 it will meet all your needs.
BUT check you physically fit the machine - if you have long legs it may not be for you. Try and get a test ride too.

Otherwise start exercising your grin muscles in preparation as it is quite easy to get a cramp once you step thru and aboard. :lol:

·
Registered
176 Posts
I have the 400 and it performs well in most instances for highway driving. I've ridden some hilly/mountain roads in North GA, but I'm not sure what grade the road was. I didn't notice too much drop off, but was also adjusting speed for what was up ahead - speeding up downhill. Depending on the overall traffic speed in your area, you may want to consider the 650 if you need passing power or alot of 2 up.

Passing at high speed with the 400 is possible here in ATL, but you'll be running at about 80+ in some cases. I haven't ridden the 650, but from the posts by members here, my hunch is it's probably alot more stable at those speeds. Now in other conditions, like around town or rural highways, the 400 shines - highly maneuverable and fast. I'd finally note that I'm coming up on only 2500 miles, so I expect to see better performance as the engine continues to break in.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Pre-loved

I would highly recommend test driving both machines. If you don't have your motorcycle endorsement you won't be able to. See which one fits your needs.

There is nothing wrong with buying a pre-loved Burgman. There are many of us here who have and they perform just fine. If you can stay within your budget and get the more powerful machine I would recommend it especially if you are doing a lot of highway commuting.

My 2 cents.

Dee

·
Registered
11 Posts
Go for the 400, take this advise from someone in your neck of the woods.
I'm here in Boise. I ride into our mountains all the time, sometimes alone and sometimes with my wife. I'm about 250# and my wife is 180# so together we max out the carrying capacity. But still the little Burg sings up the hills. We have 2 major climbs at 6% when we go to our favorite place located in Stanley, Idaho. With my wife 57mph is the slowest we have ever had to go. Buy myself its 75mph all the way. I'm always giggling as I blow past the big pickups! Plus you will enjoy 60 to 65 miles to the gallon with the 400.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Congrats on your wifes endorsement! That's pretty much how I came about my 400 also. I always spoke of getting a scooter again as a "one day when we have the finances " kind of discussion, but I brought it up alot! Then eventually she says one day "do you want to go get a scooter?"
MOOHOOHAHAHHAHH!
I love my 400, and although I live on flat ground I strongly suspect that like the above posts, it would perform just fine on hills.
Enjoy your bike and keep us posted!
-Moo

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have a long uphill stretch on my way home each day. I don't think it's a 6% grade, more like 3-4%. I usually find myself doing 110 km/h (in an 80 zone) without thinking about it. I've had her up to 135 km/h for a laugh, and she still wanted to give more.

She'll do the Kessel Run in less than twelve parsecs, and outrun local cruisers. She's fast enough for you, old man.

Simon

·
Registered
296 Posts
I had the same concern before I bought my Burgman 400 in January. In Arizona, none of the dealers let you take a test ride. But since I had owned a Honda Helix 250 and knew it would do at least 55mph up the steepest hill I had ever encountered on the highway, I was pretty sure that the Burgman 400 would do just fine.

The first week I had the Burgman 400 I drove up highway 87 toward Payson and when I got on the steepest and longest hill on this very hilly route, I started up the hill at 65 and accelerated to 80 going up the hill. I did not have a passenger, but weigh 240 pounds.

The 650 has more power and torque, but most of the time you don't need any more speed or power than the 400 is capable of delivering.

·
Registered
806 Posts
I always looked at it like this.

When we compare the Honda Helix to the Burgman 400, you are talking about "real world" increased capability. The B400 has more cargo room and will also cruise at a higher cruising speed which is pretty much required for interstate travel.

But when you compare the B650 to the 400, it's like comparing a Chevy sedan with a V-6 to a Cadillac with a V-8. The Caddy has more options, more power, and might even be plusher. BUt when it comes to "real world" capability, there really isn't anything the 650 will do that the 400 won't. Two people @ 75MPH down the Interstate for hundreds of miles? The 400 will do it with no problem. The 650 will do it with more power to spare, and in more comfort and convenience, but it won't do any "more" as is the case when comparing the Helix and the 400.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Sorry, I loved that analogy BUT... nothing on two wheels will give you the comfort of a cadallac. Still, it's a good comparison and realistic. As Ferris Bueller so eloquently stated (as far as the 650 vs. the 400 goes..)
'If you have the means, I strongly suggest you try one'! ;)
Me, I have 5 kids and am on a budget, soooo, the 400 is perfect for me. :D

·
Registered
806 Posts
Selias said:
Sorry, I loved that analogy BUT... nothing on two wheels will give you the comfort of a cadallac.
Actually, my last Helix came **** close.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks for the replies

Thanks, everyone, for all of the replies that I have received. I hope that others will still continue to post thier opinions on this thread. I have gotten a lot of useful info from all that have posted.

·
Premium Member
508 Posts
Hi, Daren! I commute up and down one of the 'gnarlier' pieces of road in NYS's Catskill Mountains, and my 400 easily keeps pace with cars doing 50 MPH. However, at those speeds I don't have a lot left over to pass with, considering the passing zones are quite small.

I'm not a very aggressive driver, and so I don't mind. But consider your own style. If you'll really WANT to be able to blow the doors off that fool tourist's BMW, then get yourself a 650.

Best wishes (and have fun shopping),
Christine

·
Registered
806 Posts
I will agree. The 400 picks up about 1000RPM when you go from 50MPH "cruising" to Wide Open Throttle. It still picks em up and puts em down pretty well, but nothing like a bike that you downshift a few gears on.

Meanwhile, the 650 has a "power" range for the trans as well as a manual mode, which means you can give 'er the whip as needed, hitting the upper parts of the rev range as you see fit.

·
Registered
179 Posts
There aren't any mountains here, and teh hills aren't much, but on the few steep grades where I woudl notice my car slowing down a little, and where the cars on the road slow down some, my 400 can stay with traffic or pass it.

Granted, I'm considering trading the 400 for something bigger (likely the 650 rather than a motorcycle, since I've grown to love the storage space and great safety lighting on the scoot - not tomention the automagic tranny). It irritates me when I have to wait for a wide opening to pass someone, and I'm a tad annoyed that acceleration is just along the lines of a mid-sized car. However, one has to understand that my other cars are a '71 Chevelle, a '77 El Camino, and a '96 Caprice cop car. I don't own a car making under 300HP, and the El Camino dynoed at 412. So, even though the 400 has what most people would think of as "pretty good" acceleration, I find myself having to remind myself that it's getting 10-15MPG better than I'd see on a 650, and that it's really all that I practically need. Besides, maybe after another thousand miles, and a valve adjustment, maybe it'll make a little more power. Maybe...

I agree with the suggestion to see how you fit, though. I've got a 34" inseam, and when I'm slouched down a little on the bumpy stretch of highway (I slouch to get a little more behind the windscren) with my legs pulled in to get out of the cold in the mornings, my knees will sometimes bump the dash when I hit significant bumps. But at least I'm out of the wind. :)

1 - 20 of 55 Posts