Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I take my DSLR & lenses and keep it under the seat when I go touring & camping the countryside, you guys think it will it be dry & safe to do so? I'm also taking my pocket camera as well, but I'd like to take better pictures if I can.

·
Registered
98 Posts
My 400 has been many times outside in heavy, prolonged downpours. Never had any rain penetration. I would think that if your seat locks down securely and the gasket is ok, then you should be fine. However, if you have enough $$ invested in your photography equipment, it can't hurt to take a belt-and-suspenders approach and put it all in a drybag.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
A dribag sounds like a good idea

I've never had anything get wet under the seat, the seal is pretty good. It can get a bit warm at the front end though.
I pack soft things around any tech to try and isolate them from any vibration

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
The Burgman trunk is waterproof but a drybag to protect your investment should be worth it.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
The trunk is weather sealed but not waterproof. If the foam strip is not damaged and the seat is latched properly it shouldn't leak under normal rain etc.. However it is not waterproof, I bet a power washer at the right angle would squirt water in there and for sure it would not hold under water. That said the trunk should stay dry while camping as long as it isn't open. But if you are the type to worry, get a drybag or even some large zip lock bags to make sure.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I used to put my work laptop and loads of other stuff under the seat in all weathers and never had a problem with water under the seat, in spite of British wet weather! But the dry bag idea is probably sensible as your equipment is probably worth more than my laptop ever was.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
@speedandstyle:

I dont think the trunk it is formally IP67 certified but I use a power washer to wash my Burgman every now and then and the stuff in the trunk stays dry.
I used a pressure washer too but was careful not to spray directly at the seat/body joint. I bet if you hit it just right it will leak some water. But I personally have no fear from nature short of a flood.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I know how much you can get tied up into photography equipment and keep mine in a dry bag with one exception. My point and shoot stays under the seat and is easily accessible for shots that I just have to have quick. My Nikon point and shoot has never gotten wet using this method, but my good equipment stays in the dry bag unless I need it. Just too much money invested.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
When I used to work construction when we worked on suspended scaffolding we had to use safety belts. We never had anyone fall and need the safety belts but if we did fall we were protected. I think the same reasoning would apply to something of high value under your seat.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts