Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, recently I discovered that I have some old gas and some gas cans of mine. They have been sitting for over eight months. But my scooter is fuel injected and I know fuel injected scooters are more resistant to old gasoline then carbureted scooters. I put some fuel additive in the old gas and added it to my Bergman. It rode just fine. No some cars that have had gas sitting for seven years and it starts just fine

My question Is it safe to use old gas? I'm trying to save some money on fuel. I put seafoam and fuel additives to clean the system as preventative maintenance. It seems to have no problems at all.

If my scooter was carburator based, I wouldn't think of putting old gas in there , but since it's fuel injected, it seems like it doesent really hurt it.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
If it smells like petrol it will be ok, if it smells like paint thinner forget it.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I use up old gas from my lawnmower in my van. That way a little bit of moisture is diluted in the much larger tank.

Burgman tanks too small and, believe it or not, very high performance. Use fresh gas there.

·
Registered
255 Posts
+1 Blakers

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Gasoline today degrade in 30 day or less if not stabilize immediately at time it purchase, ethanol in gasoline also attract water, stabilising way after gas fresh not help, if stabilise when fresh depending on what stabiliser use could be good up to 12 month, i.e.: Sta-Bil.

Do not put old gas in bike, can put in empty tank of vehicle then completely fill tank with fresh gas.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmm ok. I guess I won't put it in my bike then?

·
Premium Member
14,316 Posts
I'll be a contrarian here. I see no reason not to use the 8 month old gas in your scooter as long as it is performing OK. I probably would not poor a full 4 gallons of it in at a time but I would see no problem with mixing a gallon in with 3 gallons of fresh.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I agree with Ralph and Craig.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I think it depends if you put preservative in it when you put it aside. Every fall I fill the tank and add StaBil, then the bike sits through winter which in my case is 6 months (so far and likely 7, possibly even 8). No issues what so ever in the spring.

·
Registered
146 Posts
How does one dispose of old gasoline? I have two 5 gallon containers that I don't want to chance.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Maybe donate it to neighbors who would use it in their lawnmower?
If I had a lawnmower or such I'd use it in that. The b400 already have a sensitive issue with no Gass filter and tank issues. I would be weary. Yours is a 2004.dont cause more issues.

·
Registered
2013 Burgman 650 who's name is Frankenberg...
1,061 Posts
Agree with most of the other posters, I've added a half gallon or so to the scoot but now put it in the car. I love my scoot too much to risk messing anything up with old gas, even with fuel treatment additives.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Hahahaha hahahaha holy crep. Americans love their explosions.
Always watched Mythbusters and they did anything just to get some explosion scenes in there

·
Administrator
20,701 Posts
If it sort of smells like gas, I run it in my 84 Dodge Rampage 2.2 Carb truck.

If it stinks real bad I'll just let it slowly evaporate way away from the house. I was given an 87 Chrysler New Yorker that they had just filled the 22 gallon tank when the head gasket popped. It had sat for 7 years. I took the gas tank out and left the cap resting on the filler not screwed down. It took about 5 months for that gas to evaporate. It was Chocolate brown. Still burnt when I sprayed some blackberrys but it stunk worse.

Reactions: SilentP
1 - 20 of 23 Posts