Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw a flyer at my college for a Burgman 650 with 15,000 mi on it for $5000 with 3 more years of extended suzuki warranty. Is it worth it to buy something that high in mileage. I am afraid of the extra maintainence I need to do. Any comments would help.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Gee, I don't know that I would call 15,000 as high mileage. My last bike had over 100,000 miles and it (a Suzuki) was still running great. Sold it to a friend and he had it for a long time.

If looked after properly, modern engines will give you great service life, besides, you have the extended warranty. Make an offer and maybe the seller will come down some.

Good Luck!

Reg 8)

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
The price isn't too high in my opinion. I would ask to see paperwork in regards to a regular maintenance schedule. Theres a copy of the 650 schedule in my photo gallery http://burgmanusa.com/gallery/allwalk/650_maintenance_Schedule?full=1 Print out that schedule and compare it to any documentation he/she may have. I would also check the tire tread depth or enquire if new tires have been installed. Also if you're inspecting the bike grab each wheel and see if you can perceive and side to side play. Your looking for wheel bearing play.
If all seems good offer him/her at least $500 less.

Good Luck and keep us informed.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
rliou wrote
Is it worth it to buy something that high in mileage. I am afraid of the extra maintainence I need to do. Any comments would help.
There really no extra maintenance because of the 15,000 miles. Look at it this way, if it was already your bike that you used everyday and it had 15000 miles would you be worried about it, I think not....
Besides you have the extended warranty for any real trouble, as far as offering less, sure why not try, but I would take it even at 5,000-- of course check it out first or have your local wrench look it over.
I hope by the time you read these posts and make up your mind it will not be gone :(

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
rliou, check to make sure the extended warranty is transferable. I have seen a few ads were the seller states the ext warranty is transferable. However, the the purchaser would be the third owner and the warranty is not tranferable to the third owner.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Provided the machine has been cared for and serviced properly, the mileage, if anything, is low for the price being asked. If the extended warrantee still applies to you, that should give you further peace of mind. Speaking purely for myself, I have 18,000 miles on my Burgie and it's just beginning to warm up! Check the scooter over carefully. If it looks as if it has been cared for ie. no scratches or dings and the owner seems a reasonable person, I think you have a pretty good deal there. You could, of course offer him/her less initially, who knows, you may get lucky!

Good luck!

Bob

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Welcome to the BurgmanUSA forums rliou. Glad to have you join us.

As stated by other members, if given proper service most bikes will provide many thousands of miles of riding. Some going over the hundred thousand mile mark. Check Kelly Blue Book to see what the going price of a Burgman is in your area. The retail value of the extended warranty is $100+ per year in most locations. If you do purchase the bike, make sure you get copies of the receipts for any service work done on the Burgman. You will need to have those for your records if you do need to get warranty work done.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Also verify the specifics on the warranty. Some are transferable, but the service must be done at a specific shop. I almost bought a bike with a warranty for dealer service - from a dealer 1300 miles away! Now that would have been a long drive just for service!!

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
flintbobbi said:
Also verify the specifics on the warranty. Some are transferable, but the service must be done at a specific shop. I almost bought a bike with a warranty for dealer service - from a dealer 1300 miles away! Now that would have been a long drive just for service!!
There are two different types of plans. One is a service agreement that covers all scheduled maintenance for three years, and also extends warranty coverage. That is probably what you encountered - those are dealer specific. The dealer that sold the plan is responsible for warranty repair after the first year - not Suzuki USA.

The more common warranty extension plan does not include maintenance, but it should be honored by any dealer in the USA - it is simply an extension of the original first year factory warranty, and it is backed by Suzuki USA.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts