Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been riding motorcycles since 1972 and Harley Davidsons exclusively since 1979. For various reasons I've decided to take a walk on the mild side and get a scooter. I want a Vespa PX 150 but my wife would not be comfortable on the back of that. She could barely stand the jolts from the ripped up roads on my FXR.

My question is more for the packers than the riders. Is the suspension on a 400 good enough for two up riding? Does it bottom out easily? I weigh 190lbs and my wife's about 130. Thanks !

·
Registered
66 Posts
Im 200lbs., the old ball and chain about 120lbs.
We have a set of RailRoad tracks from hell that I always hit way to fast and have not bottom out!! (my wife did bent my ear a little bit).
The 400 has a ajustment knob on the rear however I have not jacked with it. (other members need to jump in on this)
Scootboy
blue 400

·
Registered
119 Posts
I'm 220lbs, and on the occasions I've taken my eldest son on the back he's added another 200lbs, and with his sports kit under the seat too the Burg hasn't bottomed out.
It does droop at the rear when loaded though, even with the adjuster wound up to max. I've never felt it hit the bump stop, but the lowering at the rear does reduce the cornering clearance quite a bit (and sends the headlight skyward) you'll be grinding the centre stand away on even mild bends. The 400 hasn't got a lot of ground clearence to start with - I'd really like a mechanical "pre-load" collar on the rear shock to compliment the remote adjuster.
Handling (despite the reduced clearence) is still fine though, that long wheelbase and low CofG really helps, and that passenger seat is plush :)

·
Registered
572 Posts
Jim B 01930 said:
My question is more for the packers than the riders. Is the suspension on a 400 good enough for two up riding? Does it bottom out easily? I weigh 190lbs and my wife's about 130. Thanks !
My wife and I are about the same size as you guys and we've just started riding 2 up. I increased the rear suspension dial and haven't bottomed out at all on any bumps. I also pumped up the rear tire to the recommended pressure for 2 up and that improved handling way better. She's very comfortable but we have done any long distance or freeway speeds, yet.

·
Registered
226 Posts
You will probably notice the bumps more from the smaller tires than bottoming of the suspension. Some rough spots just seem to jar the whole scooter. Same place on a bike with larger tires feels much smoother. Since the front fork is built like a bicycle you have more flex over the rough stuff. Not uncontrollable but noticable. Still not going to get rid of the 400. Oh yea, there is a lot more room on the Burgman than our K1200LT for the passenger.

Rick

·
Registered
61 Posts
My husband weighs about 200 lbs. and I weigh about 120, and I find that the ride is very comfortable. It's a bit windier than riding on our old Honda with the flat seat. The step up seat puts me higher than my husband and I get a lot of wind, it seems. Convinced me to get a full helmet instead of using my half helmet. Now it's more comfortable. The back seat is roomy for me, the passenger, and it's easy to grip with my legs. We didn't make any adjustments to the suspension or tire pressure. The longest rides we have taken so far have been maybe 25 - 30 miles. My arms get a little tired from holding on, but that's about it. I love riding two up on the Burgie 400.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yes absolutely. I logged about 7600 miles on my 400 before totaling it. I have a family of 6 everyone has riden on the back and all have enjoyed both the comfort and experience of rideing on the 400. The 400 comes standard with the back rest. When I purchased the 650 I had it installed, it is a very reasuring and helpful part of the bike.

·
Registered
428 Posts
ATGJDR said:
Yes absolutely. I logged about 7600 miles on my 400 before totaling it. I have a family of 6 everyone has riden on the back and all have enjoyed both the comfort and experience of rideing on the 400. The 400 comes standard with the back rest. When I purchased the 650 I had it installed, it is a very reasuring and helpful part of the bike.
I've got a pic of a family of four on a scooter in Greece, but SIX of you? Man, that'd be a picture I'd travel for. :lol:

Recently in France I saw a family of 5 on a scooter, and was in car pursuit for a picture but had to back off due to Sweetie's hands around my throat.

Cheers.

·
Registered
42 Posts
:?: :shock: :?: Sorry to dissapoint the old Burger didn't do anymore than 2up at a time :p Nice try though. Can you picture 6 up on a 400 hitting a medium sized deer now that's something for the immagination :mumum: :pain10:

·
Registered
296 Posts
I am about 240 and my wife is about 160. We have no problem with the rear suspension, if it is adjusted properly and the tire pressure is set for two up traveling. The only thing I have noticed is that 3.9" front shock travel is a little too stiff for rough roads either two up or one up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts