Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
41 - 43 of 43 Posts

· Registered
3,411 Posts
NormanB said:
Brian

I admire your approach. Using those benchmarks from the HOS 'rules' is a most sensible and responsible approach.

Hopefully the Iron Butt chappies who regulate and make awards should take cognizance! :)
Not all of the possible IBA rides can be completed within the DOT's Hours of Service limits, but some can. Even those that can't, though, are set up so they can be completed without breaking any laws, and without riding in a patently unsafe manner.

Here are some extracts from the IBA's Web site [emphasis added]:

The 19,000+ members of the Iron Butt Association are dedicated to safe, long-distance motorcycle riding.
No preregistration is needed for the SaddleSore or Bun Burner rides. We feel this removes the pressure to complete the ride should you become tired or otherwise feel unsafe. While group SaddleSore rides bring with them the safety of group travel, they can also increase your risk by encouraging you to press on when you might otherwise stop. Group rides can also encourage aggressive riding. Be sure riding styles of others in your group match your style. When planning a ride, keep in mind that group rides are only as fast as the slowest person in the group. This can extend your riding day many hours pushing you toward fatigue.

Motorcycling comes with risk and riding 1,000 miles or more increases your risk substantially. It is imperative you understand the risk you are taking and minimize the possibility of an accident by practicing safe motorcycle habits. No one, not even the most experienced long distance rider, can safely fight off fatigue. If you are tired, the only option is to stop and rest. Ignoring the symptoms of fatigue can be fatal. The SaddleSore and BunBurner rides enjoy a fantastic safety record but to continue this record requires you to do your part. If you are tired, having a bad day, or facing other hurtles that are impacting your riding skills, please stop and rest so that you may enjoy motorcycling another day!

Please remember that the Iron Butt Association is dedicated to the sport of safe, long-distance motorcycle riding. It does not condone nor will it tolerate unsafe activities such as excessive speed, reckless motorcycle operation, riding while fatigued or otherwise impaired, the use of stimulants to maintain alertness, or any other activity that results in riders exceeding their personal limits. Any rider found to have engaged in these or other unsafe activities, as determined in the sole discretion of the IBA, will have their certification refused. If the certification is already issued and we find out about these infractions after the fact, the certification will be revoked. For these purposes, the IBA will consider as an admission of violating this policy any public statements made by the participant that describe participation in unsafe activities during a ride subject to certification.
While not everyone will agree that this type of riding is safe, it is done within legal limits, and therefor is a right and a personal choice.

· Registered
3,411 Posts
Re: I made it. One long ride!

camrakid said:
...I headed back out at 8:50 am, and rode another 911 miles to home (Wichita, KS), arriving about 2:45am....
Oh; you were so close!

911 miles in less than 18 hours (average speed: 50.6MPH). Another 89 miles and you would have qualified for a SS1000 (assuming you kept the proper records/witness statements). And you would have had 6 more hours in which to do it.

Now that you're home safe and sound (and congrats on that), do you think you might try for an award someday, or did this convince you that endurance riding is not for you?

[Edit] Never mind; I just read you next post:
camrakid said:
...The satisfaction of knowing I made it that far total (1402 miles) on my first trip with is is good enough for me. I really don't see the need to prove a person can do the type of mileage for the awards....
That's okay; whatever kind of riding you choose to do, I know you'll enjoy it on a Burgman.

Well...maybe not motocross. :D

41 - 43 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.