Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

· Registered
719 Posts
Brian said:
All the possible awards are designed to allow them to be earned without exceeding speed limits, riding through unsafe territory, or in an unsafe manner.
The Iron Butt rides are about focus and persistance. It's not like you have to ride for 24 hours, or go at speeds above the traffic's 75th percentile.

Three of my buddies have done it on KLR 650s (buzzy dual-sport motos). Another rode his FJR (sad, but true) down to Florida, turned around and came back in the same day.

Basically, with the Burman, you stop every 150 miles when the fuel icon starts to blink, gas up, drink some water, p, get back on and go. Repeat six times. Two stops include stuffing down a McMeal. Wild and crazy it ain't.

· Registered
250 Posts
I can think of few riders (Nick Sanders is a name that springs out) who are wiling and capable of very long hours in the saddle with minimal rest. This sort of endurance requires high levels of physical and mental fitness and IMHO ideal riding conditions (by which I mean very little in the way of other traffic vying for road space).

My objection to 'personal challenges' such as the Iron Butt is based solely on the notion that individual riders, while free in principle to do what they like, do NOT have the right to ride in a way which is likely to endanger the lives of other innocent road users with whom they SHARE the roads.

I have yet to be persuaded that most riders will actually drop out if they start to feel tired or incapable of proceeding. I don't wish to insult those who believe otherwise, but I honestly feel that this 'test' is no more than a macho ego- massaging exercise which constitutes a threat to the well-being of fellow road users.

I guess I'm a fuddy-duddy. I'm fascinated by this sort of challenge, but not when it's done on public roads.

Just my own views. No offence intended. :)

· Registered
3,411 Posts
Wimps! :p

:lol: JK

I promise, if I start to see a degradation in my physical or mental fitness (both of which are pretty good) I'll pull over. As a former cop and ambulance driver, let me assure you: I'm no daredevil. Tough, yes; stupid or reckless, no.

I can't speak for conditions in the UK or elsewhere, but on the route I'm taking it's all two or more lanes in each direction, with plenty of state operated rest areas, and towns both large and small along the way.

I've already ridden the route once (and driven it many times in cages over the years); I'm just going to be doing it for a few more hours each day than I've done before.

I'll be going in August or September when the weather on the west coast is at its best. I'll have my bike fully serviced and new tires before I go.

I'm a highly experienced driver, having been driving since 1969. I've completed two EVOCs (Emergency Vehicle Operator's Courses), one for police cars and one for ambulances. I am a current holder of a Class B CDL (Commercial Driver's License - Any vehicle except Class A combination vehicles), endorsed for "All Passenger Vehicles (Buses)" and "Two-wheel and Three-wheel motorcycles." I hold a current DOT Medical Examiner's Certificate, and my only restriction is corrective lenses (I can pass the "civilian" eye test, but not the CDL eye test because my left eye is a slightly too near-sighted).

I think I can do this without putting the public with whom I share the road in any danger. If I didn't, I wouldn't do it.

· Registered
3,411 Posts
thunder53fl said:
When I was a trucker, the law was 15 hrs maximum on duty - no more than 10 of which could be logged behind the wheel, followed by 8 hrs off duty. That was 20 yrs ago, it may have changed since then. There were also rules for maximum hrs in a 7 or 8 day period.
Here are the current "Hours of Service" rules:

New HOS Rules

Compliance Required On & After January 4, 2004

CMV driver may drive 11 hours, following 10 hours off-duty.

CMV driver may not drive beyond the 14th hour after coming-on duty, following 10 hours off-duty.

CMV driver may not drive after 60/70 hours on-duty in 7/8 consecutive days.

A driver may restart a 7/8 consecutive day period after taking 34 or more consecutive hours off-duty.
16-Hour Exception For Property-Carrying Drivers
Drivers may extend the 14-hour on-duty period by 2 additional hours IF THEY:

Are released from duty at the normal work reporting location for the previous 5 duty tours; AND
Return to their normal work reporting location and are released from duty within 16 hours; AND
Have not used this exception in the previous 6 days, except following a 34-hour restart of a 7/8-day period.

Total hours driving may not exceed 11 hours.

U.S Department of Transportation

Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration
They've extended the driving hours allowed from 10 hours to 11, but also increased the minimum time off from 8 hours to 10.

The rules were devised to provide the best compromise between safety and profitability for the average commercial driver who is driving long distances regularly. Statistics show that a disproportionate number of crashes involving commercial drivers happened to those who exceeded those limits.

I don't think a larger than average number of crashes can be attributed to riders of IBA challenges.

For my Border to Border challenge I've plugged the DOT regulations into Microsoft Streets and Trips, and by raising my projected average speed from 60 to 65 (legal or below legal on most of I-5), and adjusting my rest breaks and fuel stops, I can do this challenge within the DOT Commercial Driver's limits, even though I'm not legally required to do so.

By shaving a mere 62 minutes off my total driving time I was able to get it down to 22 hours (11 each day), and allow more than 10 hours off between them. I was already below the 14 hours "on duty" per day limit (08:00 - 21:45 (13:45 duty hours) the first day, and 08:00 - 19:36 (11:36 duty hours) the second day). Now I'll be even further within the limits.

The United States Department of Transportation's Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration says my plan is safe and legal. That's good enough for me.

· Registered
250 Posts
Brian said:
...I've completed two EVOCs (Emergency Vehicle Operator's Courses), one for police cars and one for ambulances. I am a current holder of a Class B CDL (Commercial Driver's License - Any vehicle except Class A combination vehicles), endorsed for "All Passenger Vehicles (Buses)" and "Two-wheel and Three-wheel motorcycles." I hold a current DOT Medical Examiner's Certificate, and my only restriction is corrective lenses (I can pass the "civilian" eye test, but not the CDL eye test because my left eye is a slightly too near-sighted)...
Good for you, Brian.

Now, if this sort of pedigree was a prerequisite for taking part in this sort of challenge, then I'd feel a little happier.

Sadly it's not, so I don't.

· Registered
3,411 Posts
chiefkeefe said:
...Now, if this sort of pedigree was a prerequisite for taking part in this sort of challenge, then I'd feel a little happier.

Sadly it's not, so I don't.
I'd feel happier if they charged with attempted murder anyone caught operating a motor vehicle within an hour of consumming alcohol.

But they don't, so I don't.

I guess neither of us will be very happy with the status quo.

· Registered
250 Posts
Brian said:
...I'd feel happier if they charged with attempted murder anyone caught operating a motor vehicle within an hour of consumming alcohol.
Too true, Brian!

Actually, over here, they've introduced very stringent laws to deal with those who cause death by dangerous driving, whether the result of ineptitude, drunkenness, drugs or tiredness.

Why discriminate when the end result can be the same?

· Registered
3,411 Posts
chiefkeefe said:
...Actually, over here, they've introduced very stringent laws to deal with those who cause death by dangerous driving, whether the result of ineptitude, drunkenness, drugs or tiredness.
I wish it were so over here.

The way things stand now, if a drunk driver kills someone he or she is likely to get no more than 6 months in jail and a few hundred dollars in fines. It's outrageous.

· Registered
2,385 Posts
Brian wrote
The way things stand now, if a drunk driver kills someone he or she is likely to get no more than 6 months in jail and a few hundred dollars in fines. It's outrageous.
I'll give you a big AMEN to that :!:
The trouble is the lawyers, judges, and politicians all drink themselves .

· Premium Member
11,251 Posts
Brian

I admire your approach. Using those benchmarks from the HOS 'rules' is a most sensible and responsible approach.

Hopefully the Iron Butt chappies who regulate and make awards should take cognizance! :)

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I made it. One long ride!

Well I said I woudl post a report, and here it is. Unfortunately I missed the sore saddle by a bit, but better safe than sorry. I headed out from The Villages FL. at 5:45 (Central time) It's easier to figure everything on my own time zone. After 491 miles I decided it was too cold to continue and pulled into a hotel about 3:15 am. I headed back out at 8:50 am, and rode another 911 miles to home (Wichita, KS), arriving about 2:45am.
I stopped once for a decent meal, but other stops were long enough to get gas & use the restroom. Peopel are right about stops. With chaps, rain gear, etc. a stop is longer than 5 minutes to get gas. Those stops can esaily turn into 20 minutes. In figuring out milesage traveled in 24 hours, from the start it wound up being 950 miles. If figured from leaving the hotel, it was 911. Yeah another 89 miles woudl have made 1000 or 50 miles starting out. Maybe someday I'll get the 1000, but for now will settle for the satisfaction of 1402 miles on my first trip owning a Burgman. I look forward to many more (yet maybe not that far that fast). I agree with one post 500 is a good amount for one day. I did find out that is doesn't even hit potential until 85mph. I think that's due to people in southern states (I'm sure it's all over, so not picking on anyone) not knowing what a speed limit is. They drive 15-25 over a posted speed limit and will pass people at 80 like they are changing tires. I was really impressed at the pep my 650 has. It turned a few heads and I had a hog trike that I blew by follow me to a gas station to see what it was that passed him. Another group of 3 passed me on Rt. 78 toward Memphis and they had to have been doing 85 plus. I found out the Burgman has no problem keeping up, adn found myself at 95 before I knew it. It sure surprised them when I passed them as they were turning at a light. I think they figured they had lost me in the dust. I had a backrest the seller had put on from a Goldwing 1800. That sure helped, but the seat could stand to be a little softer. I've heard of people putting on the Corbin seats. Not sure if they are any softer. Overall I love my Burgman, and it will see a lot of use.

Live to ride, but ride to live - safety first.

· Registered
13,226 Posts
Jeff,

Glad to hear you made the trip safe and sound. Now that you're home, hopefully you'll be able to enjoy your Burgman on less grueling runs.

· Registered
250 Posts
Well done, Camrakid, both for your powers of endurance and also for recognising your limits when the conditions weren't ideal. I think that the mileage you achieved was magnificent, and you still were able to enjoy the 650, too.

Respect! :salute:

My paltry 195 miles today were enough to show me that the saddle is a good shape, but it really needs to be broken in a little more. If that fails, I'll resort to using my trusty Airhawk for longer rides.

· Premium Member
11,251 Posts
Re: I made it. One long ride!

camrakid said:
snipAfter 491 miles I decided it was too cold to continue and pulled into a hotel about 3:15 am. I headed back out at 8:50 am, and rode another 911 miles to home (Wichita, KS), arriving about 2:45am.
snip.
Respect :thumbright: - and glad you got home safe!
That ride was a real achievemnent.

· Premium Member
4,914 Posts
Way to go man! I made a brief reply to your post about corbins in the other section. In addition to more legroom and back support (with the optional backrest) the corbin seat is more firm and a tad taller. Read up on the links Bill provided you and you will be much more informed about the Corbin thing. I am not an ergonomic expert by any means, but, in my opinion a firmer seat is more comfortable over the long haul, but everyone's butt is different sooooo....
Welcome back. I am very happy to read that you made it w/o any problems...or were there?
Best regards,
Pete

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
long ride and seat

Didn't have any problems at all on the long ride home. Weather was great (other than being cold the first night, but heated clothing will help with that as finances allow). The main problem was gettign sore in the seat after a while. I've read all the post on the seats, and many different opinions. I think I might have to go with the cheaper option of the gel pad, or even re-upholstering. I'll keep reading post on that.

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
iron butt versus safety

No doubt safety trumps an iron but any day. The satisfaction of knowing I made it that far total (1402 miles) on my first trip with is is good enough for me. I really don't see the need to prove a person can do the type of mileage for the awards. If you had to be that far in a day, maybe. Most leisure riders I doubt have a need to go that far in a day, regardless of how much they love to ride. Somewhat takes the enjoyment out of a ride to be able to stop and enjoy things when you go that far. Approx .500 is plenty enough fo rme in a day.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.