Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any information on how you go about getting the iron butt/sore saddle award. The shipping company I had selected (Daily Direct) delayed things so many times I finally am saying heck with it and flying to Orlando, FL and riding my 650 to Wichita, KS. Due to othter obligations, I will probably make this ride non stop (except for gas). Looking forward to the adventure, but maybe not the weather. If anyone has infomation about what information etc. is needed to get the awards, a reply to this post woudl be appreciated.

Wish I could attend bike week since I'll be close, but obligations becon.

Thanks,

Jeff

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
saddlesore cities traveled

I will be starting out in The Villages, FL. (approx. 60 miles N of Orlando)
I will head to Atlanta, GA on I-75, I-20 to Birmighmam, AL, up to Memphis on I-78, over to Oklahoma city on I-40, and up to Wichita on I-35. Mapquest shows it to be 1344 miles. I will be starting out about 6:30 pm tomorrow, after flying into Orlando. Due to obligations, I plan on riding non stop (except to fuel and bathroom breaks).

Anyone with any travel advisories or weather condition reports, all informaiton appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff

Live to Ride, but ride to live!

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I made it. One long ride!

Well I said I woudl post a report, and here it is. Unfortunately I missed the sore saddle by a bit, but better safe than sorry. I headed out from The Villages FL. at 5:45 (Central time) It's easier to figure everything on my own time zone. After 491 miles I decided it was too cold to continue and pulled into a hotel about 3:15 am. I headed back out at 8:50 am, and rode another 911 miles to home (Wichita, KS), arriving about 2:45am.
I stopped once for a decent meal, but other stops were long enough to get gas & use the restroom. Peopel are right about stops. With chaps, rain gear, etc. a stop is longer than 5 minutes to get gas. Those stops can esaily turn into 20 minutes. In figuring out milesage traveled in 24 hours, from the start it wound up being 950 miles. If figured from leaving the hotel, it was 911. Yeah another 89 miles woudl have made 1000 or 50 miles starting out. Maybe someday I'll get the 1000, but for now will settle for the satisfaction of 1402 miles on my first trip owning a Burgman. I look forward to many more (yet maybe not that far that fast). I agree with one post 500 is a good amount for one day. I did find out that is doesn't even hit potential until 85mph. I think that's due to people in southern states (I'm sure it's all over, so not picking on anyone) not knowing what a speed limit is. They drive 15-25 over a posted speed limit and will pass people at 80 like they are changing tires. I was really impressed at the pep my 650 has. It turned a few heads and I had a hog trike that I blew by follow me to a gas station to see what it was that passed him. Another group of 3 passed me on Rt. 78 toward Memphis and they had to have been doing 85 plus. I found out the Burgman has no problem keeping up, adn found myself at 95 before I knew it. It sure surprised them when I passed them as they were turning at a light. I think they figured they had lost me in the dust. I had a backrest the seller had put on from a Goldwing 1800. That sure helped, but the seat could stand to be a little softer. I've heard of people putting on the Corbin seats. Not sure if they are any softer. Overall I love my Burgman, and it will see a lot of use.

Live to ride, but ride to live - safety first.

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
long ride and seat

Didn't have any problems at all on the long ride home. Weather was great (other than being cold the first night, but heated clothing will help with that as finances allow). The main problem was gettign sore in the seat after a while. I've read all the post on the seats, and many different opinions. I think I might have to go with the cheaper option of the gel pad, or even re-upholstering. I'll keep reading post on that.

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
iron butt versus safety

No doubt safety trumps an iron but any day. The satisfaction of knowing I made it that far total (1402 miles) on my first trip with is is good enough for me. I really don't see the need to prove a person can do the type of mileage for the awards. If you had to be that far in a day, maybe. Most leisure riders I doubt have a need to go that far in a day, regardless of how much they love to ride. Somewhat takes the enjoyment out of a ride to be able to stop and enjoy things when you go that far. Approx .500 is plenty enough fo rme in a day.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.