Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
719 Posts
I did it in July of last year on a trip from North Carolina to Nova Scotia. You really do have to be very careful with your paperwork, receipts, log, signatures at the start and finish. Also, make sure that your moto odometer is accurate. Before you leave town, plot your route on a map site on the net (like Mapsonus.com), or better, the MapSource program which comes with a Garmin GPS.

The Iron Butt folks check out the route very carefully. (I think the odo on the 650 is very close, and the speedo is about 10% slow oddly enough.) After you send the stuff to the association, you can expect to wait many months for the conformation to come back. They emailed me first, and then the certificate came quite a bit later, around the first of December.

Rest well before, relax, travel at the same speed as moderately fast traffic.

Speaking of Iron Butt rides, I got my April "Motorcycle Consumer News" today and they report:

Morris Kruemcke, rider of a 2001 Gold Wing, has recently set a new record for riding to each of the lower 48 states. Kruemcke's record breaking time was five days eight hours, and 52 minutes. The previous record was set by a rider on a BMW with a time of five days, 12 hours and 42 minutes
Figure on a bit over 7000 miles. One of us needs to go whup up on that record with a Burgman!

· Registered
719 Posts
Brian said:
All the possible awards are designed to allow them to be earned without exceeding speed limits, riding through unsafe territory, or in an unsafe manner.
The Iron Butt rides are about focus and persistance. It's not like you have to ride for 24 hours, or go at speeds above the traffic's 75th percentile.

Three of my buddies have done it on KLR 650s (buzzy dual-sport motos). Another rode his FJR (sad, but true) down to Florida, turned around and came back in the same day.

Basically, with the Burman, you stop every 150 miles when the fuel icon starts to blink, gas up, drink some water, p, get back on and go. Repeat six times. Two stops include stuffing down a McMeal. Wild and crazy it ain't.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.