Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder if many Burgman riders tackle the Saddle Sore (1000 miles in 24 hours)? I have done it twice already, but neither registered. Rode from Richmond, VA to Naples, FL to see my sick mom. Rode down Friday and back on Monday. Was at work (in the loosest sense of the word) on Tuesday. Figured I would register it and use the 1000 miles to get past the East Coast, where I have toured fairly extensively.
Took my 400 to bike week in Daytona last year. Wanted to see the races, and the ride seemed like a good idea. Got a lot of lip from trailer toting Harley boys. I rode 400 miles while I was down there, still looking around. It took most of the week, but they finally warmed to me. I am what I am and there's no need apologizing for it!
Really ride the Burgmans because of a missing left leg, below the knee. This automatic and step through are custom made for a guy like me! I get to ride again! Its hard to even type that without smiling!:p
Oh well, filling out my registration for the Saddle Sore and wondered. I have a blog from my rides too, if anyone wants to see: http://quaziphotos.blogspot.com

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just looked, and this thread is all over the place! Sorry, kind of new to this. The Saddle Sore I am working on registering right now was the first leg of my 5800 mile tour of southwest US. My ride from Richmond, VA (home) to New Orleans was 1000 miles and I was just getting information gathered from the trip to register the ride with Iron Butt.
The 400 Burgman was sold when I bought my 650 last May. Easier to carry the Mrs. with my huge self on the 650. Loved the 400 very much though and wish I would have kept it.
Oh well, cheers. And thanks for looking.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
I did at least 4 saddle sores on my 650. (1,000 miles or more in less than 24 hours)
1030 Akron Ohio to Cocoa Beach Florida
1160 Murdo SD to Akron Ohio
1368 Key West Florida to Akron Ohio
1370 Key West Florida to Akron Ohio

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow Bigfoot, that is amazingly impressive! Key West to Akron is insane! I always did want to see the Keys though... lol! That Victory has to be a load of fun too. Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
The Victory Vision makes long distance touring a pleasure.
In 2011 I toured the 48 contiguous states and 1/3 of Canada including Nova Scotia's Cabot trail. (Longest trip was 7,600 miles in 11 days)

I am still most proud of my long distance rides on the Burgman.
The limiting factor to long distance traveling on the Burgman is the rear tire mileage. (My Vision's rear tires have been averaging 14,000 miles)
The only thing I had to do for my Burgman was put in gas, oil, and change the brakes and tires in 38,000 miles over 3.5 years.
Very dependable.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I'm still trying to figure out how anyone can ride more than 300 miles in a day on a Burgman 400. Maybe it is just me, because I have had 5 back surgeries, but the seat is not comfortable after a couple of hundred miles, and my butt goes numb at 250 miles.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am still trying to get some real tires for the Burgman too. Even under my 'normal' conditions the tire use almost obliterates the gas savings. This seems stupid! I certainly agree on the dependability too, both of my Burgmans have never left me stranded. They should have spare tires on them though! I wish I could shift, but even if I could then I am not sure I could be happier in general than I am on the Burgman.
Mel46, I have never had back troubles so I can't sympathize! I get as saddle sore as anybody on a long haul, but soreness and pain are not the same thing. Since this is supposed to be fun, I would gauge differently too. My wife hates any day longer than a couple hundred miles and she does have a weak back, so we plan around her for our normal trips. I love traveling best when she is on board! At least we ride!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I could see that. I rode my 400 down to Daytona Bike week from Richmond, Va. Stuck to the Blue Ridge Parkway until SC, very fun, but March was a bit icy in the mornings! I wish I didn't get rid of it when I got the 650. They are not the same, and they both have some great characteristics.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Mel46,

You should give me a call. I re-pad the 400 seats as well. Going numb at 250 miles is actually pretty good on a stock seat. It wouldn't take much to get you going long distance.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I'm still trying to figure out how anyone can ride more than 300 miles in a day on a Burgman 400. Maybe it is just me, because I have had 5 back surgeries, but the seat is not comfortable after a couple of hundred miles, and my butt goes numb at 250 miles.
i got an airhawk2 seat and forget about any discomfort.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts