Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.ironbutt.com/scooter1000/
If you can do this ride on a scooter anywhere in the world, between and including the dates May 2nd and May 5th, 2014, you will get the special membership certificate shown, instead of the basic SS1000 version. If you do the SS1000 on a scooter less than 300cc, you get the "gold" version. There are IBA members who have done the SS1000 on scooters, and probably lots more crazy enough to try.

Epic riding feats have been done on scooters, but they tended to be one-time "see if it can be done" feats. I came along and did multiple IBA rides like several in-state SS1000's, a Bun Burner Gold (1500 miles <24 hours), SS3000, and several multi-day endurance rallies including the IB5000, on scooters. My protege "Hammy" has picked up the torch and carried it well. He will likely ride a scooter in the 2015 Iron Butt Rally (~11,000 miles in 11 days).

I have been unsuccessful, so far, in the Philadelphia area in finding a capable scooter <300cc for doing the "gold" version. I may be force to just do the standard ride on my Majesty or SW.

I hope as many scooter riders as possible participate, as I have told the IBA powers that on the average scooter riders are more hard-core than the rider's of standard MCs.

Thanks for the bandwidth,
Jerome

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I got into scooters from an article I read in motorcycle Consumer News back in the 90s. A quite portly man rode a Honda Helix 250 heavily ladened with fuel cell, gear and equipment on the Iron Butt rally, 10k miles in 10 days. His poor bike was easily carrying a 400lbs load. And he made it!

I thought if that little bike can haul his butt around the country, then it should have no problem carrying me around the city. I got myself one and it has been a love affair with scooters ever since. The Burgman's just adds fuel to the fire.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts