Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For a long time, I have wanted to ditch my Garmin GPS that does not have Bluetooth and use my iPhone with Bluetooth to get turn prompts. I was pretty frustrated until I found this link on ADVRider.com that describes how to create routes on a PC and then get them loaded on your iPhone (or Android):
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=874100

I tried this and it works every time.

Step 1 is to install the Navigon app ($25 for 1/2 of USA) on your iPhone.
Step 2 is to create a route and export it it as a gpx file. (ITN Converter allows you to create a route by accessing Google Maps, but I prefer Garmin's Basecamp. Any mapping software that allows you to create a gpx file will do.)
Step 3 is to install Dropbox on your PC and the app on your iPhone (both free)
Step 4 is to install ITN Converter (also free) on your PC.
Step 5 is to open the saved gpx file and save it to your Dropbox folder as a Navigon MN 7 file. It will have a ".route" extension.
Step 6 is to change the file extension in Dropbox from ".route" to ".target"
Step 7 is to open the ".target" file in Dropbox on your phone, which will cause a "cannot open" error from Dropbox.
Step 8 is to use the "open with" and select the Navigon app when you get an error saying that Dropbox cannot open the file. (Note that the latest iOS is a bit different than described at the above link. You tap the box with the up arrow at the lower left to get to "open with" option.)
Step 9 is to tell the Navigon app to "calculate" and the route will be displayed

If this seems complicated, rest assured that once you have created your route, it's a couple of minutes to get it loaded on your phone.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
For a long time, I have wanted to ditch my Garmin GPS that does not have Bluetooth and use my iPhone with Bluetooth to get turn prompts. I was pretty frustrated until I found this link on ADVRider.com that describes how to create routes on a PC and then get them loaded on your iPhone (or Android):
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=874100

I tried this and it works every time.

Step 1 is to install the Navigon app ($25 for 1/2 of USA) on your iPhone.
Step 2 is to create a route and export it it as a gpx file. (ITN Converter allows you to create a route by accessing Google Maps, but I prefer Garmin's Basecamp. Any mapping software that allows you to create a gpx file will do.)
Step 3 is to install Dropbox on your PC and the app on your iPhone (both free)
Step 4 is to install ITN Converter (also free) on your PC.
Step 5 is to open the saved gpx file and save it to your Dropbox folder as a Navigon MN 7 file. It will have a ".route" extension.
Step 6 is to change the file extension in Dropbox from ".route" to ".target"
Step 7 is to open the ".target" file in Dropbox on your phone, which will cause a "cannot open" error from Dropbox.
Step 8 is to use the "open with" and select the Navigon app when you get an error saying that Dropbox cannot open the file. (Note that the latest iOS is a bit different than described at the above link. You tap the box with the up arrow at the lower left to get to "open with" option.)
Step 9 is to tell the Navigon app to "calculate" and the route will be displayed

If this seems complicated, rest assured that once you have created your route, it's a couple of minutes to get it loaded on your phone.
Me use Benichou software ITN Converter since it available, present version 1.83, it sure beat all previous Garmin map create software available. So simple to use and create trip map with, have many many output map format that can be use with almost all brand of GPS.

http://www.benichou-software.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4&Itemid=2&lang=en

1 - 3 of 3 Posts