Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
573 Posts
I'm not sure I would trust a suction cup mount. You would need a flat spot, and I'm not sure the windshield has a flat spot that would work. I used a suction mount for my phone a few years ago, but it kept falling off. I attached it to the speedometer glass, and it would fall onto the dash. I eventually lost that phone (put it in a cup holder, and it bounced out somewhere).

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I personally would not trust it! If the suction cup lets go at speed your iPhone is toast unless it lands on the dash and stays there. This is a locking type suction cup so it is better than the average but they have other problems. On a plastic screen the suction might cause it to crack.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ugh, I guess I'll just have to stick to my redneck way of GPS; writing directions down on a piece of paper and taping it to my steering wheel!

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Amazon.com: Ram Mount Cradle Holder for Universal X-Grip Cellphone/iPhone with 1-Inch Ball - Non-Retail Packaging - Black: Cell Phones & Accessories
Amazon.com: RAM Mounts (RAM-B-346U) Motorcycle Brake/Clutch Reservoir Cover Base with 1" Ball Offset: GPS & Navigation
Amazon.com: RAM Mounts RAM DBL SOCKET ARM A-LENGTH Body Other Bases BLK- RAM-B-201U-A: Car Electronics

Why don't you use these? The middle holes don't fit the 400 brake reservoir, but the side ones do. Or just drill a hole where you need it.
The X holder is very strong and universal, but I'm sure RAM has mounts for your phone. No need to suction cup anything.

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
I've used a suction cup mount to hold my GPS for years. I don't stick it to the windshield though. On my 400 I have a flat piece of plastic mounted to the handlebars that I stick the suction cup to. On the 650 I have a plastic disc glued to the dash above the glove box that I stick the suction cup mount to. Have not had a problem with it coming loose but I have a safety strap on it just in case it ever does.

A friend uses a suction cup mount stuck to the face of the speedometer on his 650 to hold his GPS. That blocks the view of the speedo but he uses the speed readout on the GPS to know how fast he is going so he does not consider it a problem.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
This works the charm for me

cheap - if it rains I just use a zip lock

and yes can be used.

I switched to the other side since.

easy to read too

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you macdoc, also I wanted to ask, if I do not have Internet will the GPS navigation still work without Wi-Fi?

·
Registered
80 Posts
kxj - I have an android phone, but depending on the app it can store the map offline. GPS luckily requires no data, it runs from satellite signals. I used an old phone on a previous bike as a speedometer. It worked marvelously without any data connection.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
The Copilot app will allow you to upload maps for a given area. So no on-the-road wifi necessary. It also does preprogrammed routes, but difficult to share them. It's free and I'm Not sure on its directions capabilities, but my friends seem to get by.

I just use a cheap dedicated garmin GPS. A 1450 series unit cost $50 used, does routes, has maps for all continental US and I don't have to worry about losing it.

Yes Mac Doc, I know yours is better somehow. We've had this discussion.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I haven't used it yet, but when I got my used Burgman there was a plastic disc stuck to the underside of the dash above the tachometer. After wondering what it could have been for, I came to the conclusion it was for GPS suction mount. The plastic discs come with some GPS units.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Your iPhone 5 has inbuilt GPS that does not rely on or need either WIFI or Cellphone signal.

The life proof case is a quality bit of kit and has great potential for enabling the iPhone to be used on your bike as a GPS device. As you have identified the key is having a safe and reliable/ convenient mounting arrangement.

I would steer clear of a windshield suction cup arrangement.

Investigate a ram mount for your brake reservoir http://www.motorcyclelarry.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=48_65&products_id=191and some sort of holder for the life proof. Something like this but check sizes against life proof case. http://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-HOL-UN10BU

1 - 14 of 14 Posts