Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Credit for that goes to TechArtGuy.

Keep in mind, everyone here is a volunteer. I have no personal interest in trikes and don't follow threads or brands. If you'd like to see a section on trikes, gather a bunch threads and send them to me and I can put them on there.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Very well done folks! I'm totally inpressed with all the work. I would highly recommend that this section be a must read for those that are brand new to the Burgman world. I'm sure that you will keep improving this as you go along...Just a great, great job! :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Well, thanks to this great bkb, I cleaned my cvt filter today. It worked just like it was explained. Great job!

buckb

·
Premium Member
6,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I would like to formally introduce Burgman USA member Redbeard as a major contributor to the Burgman Knowledge Base. When he was working on hisRostra Cruise Control write up, I offered him an article on the BKB and he took it from there. It is only because of his gracious offer to help me with the BKB afterwards have I been able to finish up a lot of various articles that have been lingering. Redbeard handles a lot of the photos and photo manipulations that are needed, and it came in handy when comparing the Standard to the Executive:

http://burgmanusa.com/bkb/650+Executive+Features

He's also been able to add photos of the different colors of 650s for the Year Differences article:

http://burgmanusa.com/bkb/650+Year+Differences

Redbeard has also added an article with the 650's specifications. This is nearly the same information that is in the back of the Service Manual, but with the added benefit of have the changes among years shown side by side.

http://burgmanusa.com/bkb/tiki-index.ph ... ifications

As always, we are looking for contributors to the 400 section of the BKB. TechArtGuy has been the sole one to fill out what is in there now, but since he has a 650 now, we could use someone to take over that side. :wink:

·
Premium Member
6,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
The 650's Year Differences article on the BKB is one of the most popular single pages on the site. Redbeard has updated it with technical specs that have changed. Some of of them are surprising and some of them I didn't even know about until he put together the Specs page.

http://burgmanusa.com/bkb/650+Year+Differences

Also:
I am looking for any information on the changes in the 2011 model. I need quality photographs of the display and anything else that is different.

·
Premium Member
514 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Great job! Is it possible to add to this the popular alternative brand oil filters and air filters which work on the various models? I see that alternative spark plugs have been added but don't find the same for oil and air filters.

·
Premium Member
6,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Absolutely! If you can send me the information in an organized manner, I can post it!

·
Registered
8 Posts
windshield 650

Just bought a 650 2009 Is the windshield adjustable. Wind hits me square in the face any recommendation for a taller one?

·
Administrator
18,201 Posts
Only the EXEC model 650 is adjustable on the fly.

Yours can be modified to make a different posistion but not adjustable by adding steel washers on the mounting frame. By adding washers under the plastic frame at the top bolt holes will raise the windshields top edge up and forward and placing them under the bottom holes will lower the top edge and move it towards the rider. I use stainless steel washers from Lowes hardware.

·
Registered
175 Posts
A resounding THANK YOU from this Freshman Burgmanite. My first stop will be horn replacement info Great Work, Great Idea, and a wonderful resource. Now to all Posters who can dissemble every Burgman make and model and year, scramble the parts, and put it together in working order, in the dark and blindfolded- PLEASE offer your insights

·
Premium Member
6,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Request: Someone to continue the Knowledge Base

I will soon no longer be a Burgman owner. I have not been active on BUSA for a couple of years now because of several competing issues beyond my control. The BKB is potentially a tremendous resource for Burgman owners because it is the best way to ORGANIZE the information that gets posted on these forums and from other sources. People should not be forced to do a search on every topic of interest and weed through a mountain of superfluous information to get what they need. Also, the people that volunteer a ridiculous amount of time to help others shouldn't have to reinvent the wheel with every new post. The BKB should be a repository for the collective knowledge of Burgman owners!

I admit I don't expect anyone to be as obsessed with cataloging information like I once was. I have probably put in several hundred hours to get the BKB to the place that it is now. Some of that time involved digging through YEARS of posts and deciding on including only the most relevant content.

The BKB was set up as a wiki-style page where anyone can be added as a contributor and the information can grow without relying on any single person to update it. Therefore, I am asking for forum users to step up and continue with the BKB.

Although it's been a couple of years since since I've had my hands in the inner-workings of website, I would be willing to train a couple of people on how to curate the content and how to work the website.

Without someone to continue the BKB, I have been afraid that the new owners of BUSA would eventually close it down and the information and time would be lost.

·
Registered
8 Posts
New software has been added to the Burgman USA (BUSA) website that will function as a repository for user submitted information related to the Burgman scooters. This new feature will not compete with the forums as you know it, instead it will be a complement. It will be a place to have all of the good information on the forums, but without all of the conversation and multiple threads to wade through.

What is formerly known as the "Pop Top", an index of 650 topics worth cataloging for others to easily find, will be taken down as it has been fully integrated with the BKB. The Pop Top was launched only 1 year ago, and now has over 500 links.

What are the advantages? This website has a "wiki" format (like Wikipedia) that allows multiple contributors (that means YOU) to edit information. Unlike my Pop Top, the BKB will no longer be limited to a single contributor, nor will it be be limited to the 650 model. Yes, that means that 400 owners will now have their own section! Using this system, a select group of BUSA's members will be able to contribute to the popular topics index and other sections. As a result of this new software, the current FAQ section of the forums will be integrated and eventually removed. Adding a "wiki" style setup for the BKB, we hope that information will be more thorough and up-to-date than single post on the forums. If a section is missing, add it! If someone gave misleading information, correct it! That's how it works, by reviewing the information by multiple contributors, we can have information that is correct and robust.

Here are some of the features we have set up on the BKB:

Diagnostics
When people have trouble with their Burgmans, they'll be able to follow steps in order to figure out the problem. This feature will require contributions from members with mechanical knowledge of the Burgmans. How many times have we answered "Check the kill switch". With this key, members will be able to go step by step to determine the problem.

Maintenance
Tutorials on maintenance and accessory installations have been popular on the forums. We now have a centralized place for all members to post their DIY methods. Instead of reading multiple threads about how one guy does an oil change, we can now have one document that shows how multiple owners do an oil change.

Accessories Installation
Similar as above, except it will include a how-to on installing our favorite farkles.

Which brings me to the next section...
Common Terminology
Wondering what a "farkle" is? How bout an OP, PM, WS, SECVT, ATGATT, or Lardy? We've got a place for that, too!

Other sections under construction include:
Burgman Model Comparison
What You Need To Know Before Buying a Burgman
Meaning of the name Burgman
Towing Burgmans

Hopefully you will see that the BKB will be another powerful tool for Burgman owners. I strongly encourage all of those that are knowledgeable about Burgmans to contribute some of that knowledge towards the BKB. "Hey! How comes there's no info on the 400s??" That's up to some 400 owners to contribute. I know there are lots of empty holes in the BKB as it is now, but I can assure you that with each of us contributing a little at a time, every page could be filled out relatively quickly.

Who can contribute?
We will limit contributors to members that have demonstrated their knowledge and are in good standing with the moderators and administration. How that is determined will be up to the discretion of the BUSA Administrators and may change at anytime. If you don't see an invite and you feel you can contribute, please send me a PM. You don't even have to have a lot of posts to meet the above requirements. Being a computer wizard isn't needed to contribute, either. If you've been able to do some coding on the forums (like adding an inline photo), the BKB isn't that much different!

http://burgmanusa.com/bkb/tiki-index.php
PS- I recommend only bookmarking the home page, since individual page's URLs are likely to change as we begin this process.
Unfortunately link doesn't work for me.

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
I think Dave_J said the Burgman Knowledge Base is unrecoverable due to the sale to new owners and a new software update.

This is the Knowledge Base I use :

Reactions: Dave_J

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
21 - 40 of 40 Posts