Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New software has been added to the Burgman USA (BUSA) website that will function as a repository for user submitted information related to the Burgman scooters. This new feature will not compete with the forums as you know it, instead it will be a complement. It will be a place to have all of the good information on the forums, but without all of the conversation and multiple threads to wade through.

What is formerly known as the "Pop Top", an index of 650 topics worth cataloging for others to easily find, will be taken down as it has been fully integrated with the BKB. The Pop Top was launched only 1 year ago, and now has over 500 links.

What are the advantages? This website has a "wiki" format (like Wikipedia) that allows multiple contributors (that means YOU) to edit information. Unlike my Pop Top, the BKB will no longer be limited to a single contributor, nor will it be be limited to the 650 model. Yes, that means that 400 owners will now have their own section! Using this system, a select group of BUSA's members will be able to contribute to the popular topics index and other sections. As a result of this new software, the current FAQ section of the forums will be integrated and eventually removed. Adding a "wiki" style setup for the BKB, we hope that information will be more thorough and up-to-date than single post on the forums. If a section is missing, add it! If someone gave misleading information, correct it! That's how it works, by reviewing the information by multiple contributors, we can have information that is correct and robust.

Here are some of the features we have set up on the BKB:

Diagnostics
When people have trouble with their Burgmans, they'll be able to follow steps in order to figure out the problem. This feature will require contributions from members with mechanical knowledge of the Burgmans. How many times have we answered "Check the kill switch". With this key, members will be able to go step by step to determine the problem.

Maintenance
Tutorials on maintenance and accessory installations have been popular on the forums. We now have a centralized place for all members to post their DIY methods. Instead of reading multiple threads about how one guy does an oil change, we can now have one document that shows how multiple owners do an oil change.

Accessories Installation
Similar as above, except it will include a how-to on installing our favorite farkles.

Which brings me to the next section...
Common Terminology
Wondering what a "farkle" is? How bout an OP, PM, WS, SECVT, ATGATT, or Lardy? We've got a place for that, too!

Other sections under construction include:
Burgman Model Comparison
What You Need To Know Before Buying a Burgman
Meaning of the name Burgman
Towing Burgmans

Hopefully you will see that the BKB will be another powerful tool for Burgman owners. I strongly encourage all of those that are knowledgeable about Burgmans to contribute some of that knowledge towards the BKB. "Hey! How comes there's no info on the 400s??" That's up to some 400 owners to contribute. I know there are lots of empty holes in the BKB as it is now, but I can assure you that with each of us contributing a little at a time, every page could be filled out relatively quickly.

Who can contribute?
We will limit contributors to members that have demonstrated their knowledge and are in good standing with the moderators and administration. How that is determined will be up to the discretion of the BUSA Administrators and may change at anytime. If you don't see an invite and you feel you can contribute, please send me a PM. You don't even have to have a lot of posts to meet the above requirements. Being a computer wizard isn't needed to contribute, either. If you've been able to do some coding on the forums (like adding an inline photo), the BKB isn't that much different!

http://burgmanusa.com/bkb/tiki-index.php
PS- I recommend only bookmarking the home page, since individual page's URLs are likely to change as we begin this process.

·
Registered
894 Posts
WOW. I'm really impressed. Great work!

·
Registered
496 Posts
Kori, I can only imagine the work that went into this project. It will be a tremendous asset to all Burgman riders and to some of the less knowledgeable dealers as well. My dealer's mechcanics check in on pop tops and LeDude center whenever they are working on our bikes. They have found both sites helpful. On behalf of us who are mechanically challenged "Thanks"

·
Registered
83 Posts
Great idea. Excuse ignorance, but do I have to register anew, or use existing details? Having trouble opening index! Thanks in anicipation!

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
The BKB uses a separate login system from the forums. You only need to login to the BKB if you are going to add to it or edit existing entries.

Kory has added a BUNCH of information for the Burgman 650, but both of the 400 models are only section frameworks at this time and need information added.

·
Premium Member
6,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all! Bill Meek deserves a pat on the back for coming up with this idea of merging the Pop Top and expanding it to a wiki format. He's been patient with me while I bug him about all the admin tasks that I can't do.

LeDude: Thanks for updating your link, I hadn't thought about that!

Papaburger: That is the first I've heard of mechanics using our websites... that's fantastic! If I can teach a mechanic for free when he is getting $90/hr, then it all becomes worth it! :lol:

Adge: I added a few sentences to the top of the page explaining the login. Basically, there is no information available for the 400s at this time. It is up to the 400 owners to contribute this information. When you click on the "?" it's asking you to login to create that information. If you are a 400 owner and want to fill in some info, PM me.

PS- note the "y" on the end of my name, "i" on the end is the effeminate version.

·
Registered
83 Posts
That explains all! Many thanks for prompt reply!! Kory/Kori? Don't know you well enough to know which might apply!!! LOL

·
Registered
134 Posts
OUTSTANDING ! Thank you!! Great idea...

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
Great idea and resource. I look forward to using and contributing!

·
Premium Member
497 Posts
Yet another reason to love this site and its members. It's one thing to set up a community for conversing, but a whole other ball of wax, to truly define it as a rather self-contained be-all, end-all, for all things Burgman. "Bravo!" and "Thank you!", to all those involved!!! :cheers:

·
Premium Member
6,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow-That was a rather profound statement you made there BJ!

We sure could use some contributors for the 400 models! (hint hint)

·
Premium Member
853 Posts
Kory,

Just to let you (and everyone else) know how much I appreciated your help on the phone the other day walking me through how to make contributions to the new knowledge base. Also to let you know that I still intend to make some contributions when I can get to it. Finally, to heartily encourage others who have access permission to make contributions to do so (especially 400 owners!)

Keep up the great work, Kory (and Bill)!

Gary

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
thanks for all the hard work. i am sure this will be a big asset for many people here............larry

·
Premium Member
6,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'd like to make a change in the contributions area of the BKB. Thanks to those that have contributed to the BKB, but clearly the wiki format hasn't caught on like I anticipated (with multiple contributors). Instead of having BUSA members learn formatting rules for the BKB, I am willing to receive material from members and post it myself. For the most part, this applies to the 650 section.

However, in order to get things going on the 400 side I am willing to do some posting. For instance, I have a member that will hopefully submit an oil change procedure for the 400 and I have a maintenance chart to post. If someone were interested in filling up the 400 section, that would require logging in and formatting material yourself. I am willing to train anyone interested in contributing to the BKB over the phone.

BOTTOMLINE: I will now take submissions for material for the BKB. No logging in or formatting required. The important thing is to get useful material on the website! If you find a link that is not currently on the BKB, send it to me!

·
Premium Member
6,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update: Bill was able to remove the login box that was on the right side of the page. This will eliminate the confusion among non-contributors hopefully. But for those that do occassionally login to add material, the login link is at the bottom of any page.

·
Premium Member
6,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I updated the Valve Tappets page to show which members needed adjustment (or not) and at what mileage. Please post any valve related topic in another thread please, this one is for the BKB.

http://burgmanusa.com/bkb/650+Valve+Tappets

1 - 20 of 40 Posts