Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i noticed a squealing noise coming from the bottom of the bike but i couldn't fiquer if it was from the front or the rear, it's kind of related to wheels spin.
is that familiar? Is it bearing or seal damage? Thoughts?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Is it on take off? Probably glazed clutch pads. Happens on the 400 for sure, probably the 250 also. It's not a big deal, you just need to sand paper off the glazing and blow out the spent material. Do a search for glazing and there are multiple discussions on it.

This is my standard recommendation for riding the 400...

Depending on riding style, terrain and load, the clutch pads have a tendency to heat up and glaze after a while, 5k-20k miles. It's not a big deal and happens on most CVTs. The glaze just needs to be sanded off. The shops I've had it done at charge $40-90. If you're at all good with your own maintenance, its not too difficult to do yourself.

To help prevent glazing, try to blip the throttle on take-off to 4500 rpm, then adjust your speed accordingly. This maneuver will engage the clutch quickly and limit heat buildup. You can't avoid heating the clutch altogether, but this technique will lessen the severity and extend the time between deglazings.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My english is not helping me, let me try again. The noise is like wehsiling or sibling but it's intermittent and related with wheels spinning at low speeds when taking off or deceleration till i reach the exact speed when i heard the sound on take off. I hope you got it?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Squeeling sound is coming from the rear. nothing to worry about. my did the same thing. dealer said it wouldnt leave me starnded on the side of the road. the sound eventually went away after several thousand miles.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Hussein, is there a way to make a sound recording of it? Maybe post it on YouTube? I still think it's clutch glaze, But I could be wrong. I wouldnt ignore it, though.

Also, A "sibling" is a brother or sister in English. So I doubt you scooter sounded like one. :D

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
hehehe, i was referring to sibilance.
talking about the noise that you thinking about, i hear another sound like it's coming from a breathing hose or something like that, whenever the engine revs up it's getting higher, is that the noise you think about? this is my first bike that equipped with fuel injection system so i have many sounds i'm not familiar with like the fuel pump and the pressure valve etc.. but the one i'm sure is not normal is the whistling one like this (wes .......wes ...... wes..... wes ....wes ...wes ..wes .wes.wes.wes. ssss) as long as the bike speeds up the frequency is getting higher until it disappear at a speed of 20 Mph.
another thing i need help with it is the radiator fan, the previous owner was joined the pins/wires of the heat switch so the fan can keep running to prevent excessive engine heat in summer (some days it reaches 56 celsius), but now it's cold and the fan is keep running all the time which prevent the engine from reaching the recommended operating temperature, the thing is i don't know how to get to these pins and reconnect them to the heat switch. if someone can give me an online source to download the k7 service manual i can do everything on this bike myself, otherwise i need your help to solve these problems.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the sound eventually went away after several thousand miles.
since i have more than 60k on the clock, i think it won't go away after another thousands of miles. it needs service but i don't know from where to start.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
I just took my 07Burg 400 clutch cover off to inspect cause it was starting the take off squeal at 4000 miles, (& changed gear oil while at it). Couldn't see any problems but sanded clutch pads a little anyway. I think the squeal is because clutch pads have some metallic looking shiny metal in them & when starting the clutch to drum engagement at low rpm take off there may be some metal to metal squeal. Just my unprofessional opinion.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
I just took my 07Burg 400 clutch cover off to inspect cause it was starting the take off squeal at 4000 miles, (& changed gear oil while at it). Couldn't see any problems but sanded clutch pads a little anyway. I think the squeal is because clutch pads have some metallic looking shiny metal in them & when starting the clutch to drum engagement at low rpm take off there may be some metal to metal squeal. Just my unprofessional opinion.
Sanded clutch pads very lightly. No more squeal.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Hussein, the Burgman also makes a 'whistling' noise which you can hear at low to intermediate engine revs when riding the bike. This is the transmission cooling turbine. It can sound a bit like a bearing whining sound. That's of course all normal. Just make sure you keep the transmission cooling filter clean. It must be cleaned every 1800 miles or more in dusty conditions.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is the transmission cooling turbine.
That's exactly what i was thinking about, thanks a lot.
that burger swallowing lot of air to cool down the transmission, more than my majesty that i never heard it making such a sound like this one. but after all it's a benefit not con, it will keep the transmission cool and make it last longer.

The next thing i'm asking about is the last thing i asked earlier, how can i reconnect the fan switch? have anyone discussed that earlier?

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think the squeal is because clutch pads have some metallic looking shiny metal in them & when starting the clutch to drum engagement at low rpm take off there may be some metal to metal squeal. Just my unprofessional opinion.
I'm pretty sure the clutch needs some sanding because the bike have little vibrations on take off, but it will be the next project after replacing the front tire and reconnect the fan switch.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Try holding front brake and applying throttle for 5 seconds or so. Brake torque moreorless.....vibration will go away.
For awhile anyways.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Try holding front brake and applying throttle for 5 seconds or so. Brake torque moreorless.....vibration will go away.
For awhile anyways.
This is actually a form of deglazing and I does work. However, it won't last long and puts a strain on everything, pretty much. Better to do a proper deglazing. Lasts five times longer and no strain on the bike. IMHO.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
As for your fan switch, I would return it to the stock condition. A properly-running cooling system knows when to turn on the fan. Otherwise, it is running for no reason. It is necessary that the engine get to normal operating temperature for best economy and power.

My understanding of the 400 is that the cooling system is well-designed and maybe over-designed.

One thing I want to do, is install an LED fan indicator. I did this to my Concours and to my Saturn car. When the fan comes on, the light also turns on, so you know the fan is running.
The Concours 4-cylinder generated a lot more heat than the Burgman.

In your case, start by removing plastic panels until you find the fan switch, then remove the jumper.

·
Registered
345 Posts
My clutch judder appeared for the 1st time back when my 400 only had 1200 miles. I performed holding front brake and applying throttle for 5 seconds and that got rid of it for the next 3800 miles. Now @ 5k miles, it came back again. So I performed holding front brake and applying throttle for 5 seconds and it's gone once again. IMHO, if I can get the judder to be gone by this simple and pain free procedure, it's worth it to do so, until the time comes to change the trans oil, in which case, removing the clutch bell to sand the glaze off clutch pads will not require the added labor of removing the plastics.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts