Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 Suzuki Burgman 400 with 33,000 miles. When it sits without being started for three days it starts, idles for about 5minutes then dies. It can be restarted but dies almost immediately. After that it won't start until it sits for a couple hours. But if I keep the idle above 3000 rpm it continues to run and gets warm, then chokes out if the rpm drops below 3000 and won't restart. If it then sits overnight it will start the next day and run just fine. Anybody have a similar experience? What did you do about it? Anyone have any ideas what I can do?

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Don't let it idle for 5 minutes. They're meant to be ridden almost immediately after starting. Idling is just wasting gas. Best advice I can give is to ride it everyday; sorts out all kinds of problems.

However, Sounds like throttle body or fuel pump problem. I had to replace my throttle body at about that mileage on my 400. Very expensive new, but a used one can be had for $75. That's the route I went. $200 labor for install. I got away cheap.

Good luck. I'm not a mechanic, so take my advice with a grain of serious speculation

And Welcome to BUSA from sunny Los Angeles.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
I can think of a few things, first being that the air filter needs cleaning or the spark plug may need regapped or changed. After that would be partially clogged fuel injectors or fuel pump screen which may be remedied by some seafoam in the tank. Or as mentioned a failing fuel pump.

If not those then your throttle position sensor may be loose and out of calibration or your STVA could be sticking. The throttle position sensor is located I think in front of the STVA on the throttle body, right side. To calibrate it you have to put the bike in dealer mode via shorting two pins on the diagnostics connector located under the trim piece on the dash on the right side. Using a 6 or 8 mm allen wrench loosen the screw holding the sensor and move it left and right until the little bar on your lcd next to the C00 code is in the center then tighten the screw down. As for the secondary throttle valve, you will have to unmount it from the throttle body and take it apart for cleaning and regreasing using lithium or teflon grease.

You can find the procedures for checking these items in the knowledgebase and howto sections.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice, and a good thing I have a mechanically inclined husband! He - fortunately! - understands the technical stuff. We will give your suggestions a try, going from easiest/cheapest to the opposite. Really glad I joined this forum!

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Indeed, with all the information here you should be able to do servicing or find just about any accessory you want for your ride ;). And find a few of the local gatherings to boot. One thing to mention, a battery tender would also be something to look into for maintaining the batt during periods of idle time

1 - 5 of 5 Posts