1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
That IS a good read - thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
739 Posts
Great reading.. but it stopped in October.. I put a reply on it hoping for an update.. Great read.. stuck in the sand in Death Valley, wowza !

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
He made it back home. It looks like he went back, got his Burgman and rode it home solo later. Not sure how that all transpired but from another post of his in a different thread, the Burgman is back on the east coast and he and his girlfriend have moved into an apartment. It appears that he works a lot without much downtime so his posts are rather infrequent.

Namaste'
Doug in Kentucky

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great reading.. but it stopped in October.. I put a reply on it hoping for an update.. Great read.. stuck in the sand in Death Valley, wowza !
I wondered about that too. His explanation was the flooded roads caused that damage. I can't imagine taking my Burgman on any sand roads. I've had it on gravel a few times and didn't much like that. I never feared gravel with my now-gone Electra Glide. It always felt stable but the Burgman does not exude confidence on anything other than hard road surfaces. I subscribed to that thread - if anything new comes up I'll post it. The guy is obviously quite adventurous.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Last October was Hurricane Sandy; it might have been that all of his local roads turned into sand roads for a while.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great read! His pics were fantastic! Wondering what he does for a living?
Jim
He's a photographer. Which explains the shots.

Last October was Hurricane Sandy; it might have been that all of his local roads turned into sand roads for a while.
I don't think Hurricane Sandy managed to devastate that road in Death Valley (California) that he got stuck on.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I don't think Hurricane Sandy managed to devastate that road in Death Valley (California) that he got stuck on.
You sure about that? It was SUPER Storm Sandy, after all... :confused2:

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
The pictures he took are amazing, how I'd love to see the places with my own eyes.

That said:

The initial part of the story sounded like the script from Dumb and Dumber.
The Suzuki dealership "checked out" the bike, but "forgot" to check the cooling fan. I'm sure they didn't forget to write a huge bill.
He seamed quite determined to make sure the bad habits he could pick up from teaching himself to ride would settle fully, so they wouldn't be disrupted by taking an MSF course later.
What's the abbreviation for inapropiate gear all the time?

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
He seamed quite determined to make sure the bad habits he could pick up from teaching himself to ride would settle fully, so they wouldn't be disrupted by taking an MSF course later.
What's the abbreviation for inapropiate gear all the time?
I had been riding for about 40 years when I took my first MSF Basic course and still managed somehow to learn things that corrected some of my bad habits. You can learn new things after you start riding you know.

As to the riding gear... Are we going to be safety riding gear Nazi's here? Just because someone chooses different than you doesn't mean squat. I choose what I wear when I ride, usually ATGATT but during the late summer I do ride in jeans and tee shirt because of the heat here in the south. My choice. Although I live in a helmet optional state, I choose to wear one. Again, my choice.

Namaste'
Doug in Kentucky

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Everyone makes their own choice on every single ride. I describe myself as ATTGAT, but I'll give up my jacket or even helmet to a passenger when I've been unexpectedly called to provide taxi service. And although I insist on at least a helmet and jacket from a new passenger on a planned ride, once I sense that this particular passenger has a good sense of what is in store in the event of a crash, I let them wear what they want.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts