Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My almost 82 year old friend sideswiped a Ford pick-up 2 weeks ago and is by some miracle recovering from 3 fractured ribs. He has a 11,000 mile gray 06 standard with 11,000 miles on it and new (200+- miles) Shinko tires. The left side plastics are destroyed other than the rear fender(the piece with the gas cap), the frame is damaged and the differential is cracked and leaking. The frame and differential apparently hit the rear wheel very hard. The engine, transmission, wheels, tires, windshield, dash, front suspension and right plastics appear to be good. When I picked it up from the accident scene, I started it and to get it on my trailer.

He is not interested in parting it out. Anyone interested before he puts it on Craigs List or Ebay? This would be a good opportunity if you need a transmission, engine, wheels, tires, etc.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
You should put some pics and a price in the classified ....or on this thread ?

I take it he didn't have the bike insured ?

TheReaper!

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You should put some pics and a price in the classified ....or on this thread ?

I take it he didn't have the bike insured ?

TheReaper!
I just convinced him last night that he needs to sell it. He has only seen the photos I posted on the Facebook Burgman International page. I will have to push it outside to get photos of the good side.

He does not have it insured for physical damage.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
He does not have it insured for physical damage.
Always a risk, either way, with a low value item. I paid $6000 for my TMAX. It's worth even less now. I wouldn't be surprised if the ins co found a way to pay only $4000 out on it if it is totaled. Is it worth getting insurance on a potential $4000 payout?

The insurance is so cheap though. At $250/year, seems kinda silly NOT to have it...but if I actually use it, I have a feeling that getting a payout on my scooter will be the least of my problems.

At the end of the day, it's just a gamble like everything else. I guess where I ended up is that I'm not going to stress over spending $250/year that I probably don't NEED to spend - but if I have to eat a $4000 loss, that would just suck.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Tell your friend if he gets an offer for $500.00 to take the money and run . There might be when it's all said and done , $1,000 worth of sellable parts there at the most . When you figure in your labor to take it apart , dispose of all the junk and then selling the good stuff , you might make $8 and hour for your efforts . All that said , at $500 it would be a good deal for some one for a parts bike for all the mechanical stuff . To take the bike apart and remove all the good stuff clean it up and get rid of the junk etc.etc . , you're looking at 3 days work . For some one with a 100% compatible bike it would give them a nice parts department for $500 .

TheReaper!

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Actually insurance companies pay book value for totaled bikes , in many cases more than the bike owner paid for the bike in the first place . A guy here that lives a couple miles from me , dumped his brand new 2012 executive in his garage because his side stand was not fully engaged . He had $500 deductible and the total bill from the dealer was $3,500 . What I'm saying here is if your bike falls over it can actually be totaled value wise . When the dealer fixes one of these they charge full retail for the parts , they charge $200 just for the estimate so it adds up quickly . I am MORE than happy to pay the little extra for $100 deductible coverage .

I've been around these plastic scooters for a decade now and I've seen a lot of damaged scooters . In fact I would say the majority of them have been down at least one or twice . I've even had people tell me they were insured , but didn't turn it in because they didn't want to pay the $500 deductible . Talk about PENNY WISE AND POUND FOOLISH ! :rolleyes:

TheReaper!

Always a risk, either way, with a low value item. I paid $6000 for my TMAX. It's worth even less now. I wouldn't be surprised if the ins co found a way to pay only $4000 out on it if it is totaled. Is it worth getting insurance on a potential $4000 payout?

The insurance is so cheap though. At $250/year, seems kinda silly NOT to have it...but if I actually use it, I have a feeling that getting a payout on my scooter will be the least of my problems.

At the end of the day, it's just a gamble like everything else. I guess where I ended up is that I'm not going to stress over spending $250/year that I probably don't NEED to spend - but if I have to eat a $4000 loss, that would just suck.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Actually insurance companies pay book value for totaled bikes
Yes, I know. My point was that even though I paid $6K two years ago for a bike with 1200 miles, the "book value" for my bike with now 13000 miles (and growing daily) may be only $4K by now.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I've even had people tell me they were insured , but didn't turn it in because they didn't want to pay the $500 deductible . Talk about PENNY WISE AND POUND FOOLISH ! :rolleyes:

TheReaper!

I'd say just foolish, since they don't really "PAY" the 500.00. The 500 is just deducted from your payout. I agree with you, I have full coverage with a 100.00 deductible. With what I have in my bike, I would expect to make money if mine is trashed.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I would expect to make money if mine is trashed.
Good chance my bike will be mysteriously stolen whenever I decide I want a new bike :) Just kidding!!!!!

But seriously - whenever I get a new one, it's going to have to take the same tires as the one I have now, as I am currently sitting on two sets of these tires. So either a new bike is far into the future (after I wear out 3 sets of tires, at least), or it will have to take these tires :)

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
I'd say just foolish, since they don't really "PAY" the 500.00. The 500 is just deducted from your payout. I agree with you, I have full coverage with a 100.00 deductible. With what I have in my bike, I would expect to make money if mine is trashed.

Exactly if your bike is paid for , you can just take the check for the full damages less the deductible . Then do with it what you will , but at the very least you have the money to go buy another scooter / bike . That is exactly what I intend to do if I have to make a claim .

Like I've said a thousand times , if hey are dumb enough to sell you $100 deductible on a plastic scooter , you should be smart enough to buy it . To me it's a NO BRAINER in spades .

TheReaper!

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tell your friend if he gets an offer for $500.00 to take the money and run . There might be when it's all said and done , $1,000 worth of sellable parts there at the most . When you figure in your labor to take it apart , dispose of all the junk and then selling the good stuff , you might make $8 and hour for your efforts . All that said , at $500 it would be a good deal for some one for a parts bike for all the mechanical stuff . To take the bike apart and remove all the good stuff clean it up and get rid of the junk etc.etc . , you're looking at 3 days work . For some one with a 100% compatible bike it would give them a nice parts department for $500 .

TheReaper!
I know he won't take $500. He spent most of that amount on new tires the prior week and this was his first ride on them. I would give him $500 and hold it until someone needed a CVT or engine or wheels, etc. I have plenty of room to disassemble it if I decide to do it and us old retired farts enjoy taking things apart. I think he would take $1,000 as it is now. The only mechanical issue from the wreck was the cracked differential and the windshield along with the entire right side has good plastic.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Until you get into it you won't know for sure what you have , that said if it were here close by the max I would give is $500.00 for it . If you want to do the guy favor go ahead and strip it down , just know going in it's a few days work . I would recommend putting it on Craigslist as is , you might get that $1,000 he wants you never know . It's more work that you think and you will get less money than you think for the parts . On top of all of that it takes a lot of time to ship this stuff , find boxes etc. etc. etc . If you're not set up for it , it can get a little overwhelming . Also it takes a year or two normally to dispose of one bike completely .

TheReaper!

I know he won't take $500. He spent most of that amount on new tires the prior week and this was his first ride on them. I would give him $500 and hold it until someone needed a CVT or engine or wheels, etc. I have plenty of room to disassemble it if I decide to do it and us old retired farts enjoy taking things apart. I think he would take $1,000 as it is now. The only mechanical issue from the wreck was the cracked differential and the windshield along with the entire right side has good plastic.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts