Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to get feedback on anyone's experience with bluetooth intercoms. Right now I have a Blue Ant BT passenger-driver intercom that works well and can connect to a cell phone if needed. The unit has two shortcomings -- I can't get GPS directions and I can't play tunes from my iPhone/iPod. I had all of that with my Autocom unit, but the wires were an unacceptable nuisance. Sena, Cardio and Intercom (Blue Ant) all have 4th generation units. Before taking the plunge to buy one of these units, I'd like to get others' experience.

·
Registered
White Burgman 650 standard
3,155 Posts
Pretty happy the 3rd Gen ScalaRider for comm and phone.
Speakers suck so I use earbuds as well - I just turn up the Cardo volume and can still use the phone/comm - my ear buds have an on off /skip switch so I listen to the iPod and kill it when the phone rings.

ambient noise is way down, I have excellent sound quality yet I can still use the Scala
It's been reasonably durable tho watch the helmet clamp- thes screws work their way out - locktite suggested.
Main button is easy with gloves on.
Mic is decent tho it beeps in the wind - I run open face tho - I use a light balaclava to damp the wind noise for conversation

Range was startling and made for good rides as time went by quickly chit chatting - safer too.

Not riding with the same guy much ( moving to longer rides ) but he was impressed enough he bought a set himself and he and 76 year old scooter rider chit chat on there local jaunts.
So that's two good experiences.
I find Blue Ant stuff pretty decent....especially pairing which can be a bit tricky with the Scala.

You might want to consider adding
Ultimate Ears SuperFi 5vi along with the Blue Ant rig - quiet ride , excellent tunes from the iPod ( they are REALLY good ) and you can use the Blue Ant you have

·
Premium Member
1,093 Posts
My Cellularline Interphone (BlueAnt in the US) connects perfectly with my TomTom Rider and Nokia 6303 phone. Excellent B2B communication as well. For my needs I don't think I'll find another one as good or better. Plus the fact that the Interphone will only communicate as an intercom with another Interphone. B2B has been the best feature of these units.
For once the manufacturer's claims about the product's capabilities were underestimated.

Cheers,

·
Premium Member
456 Posts

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
I'm using the Scala Rider Q2. Don't know about the latest versions but quite pleased with these. Have it paired with my Zumo 550 and also with the passenger's rig. (My phone is paired with my Zumo consequently I can use it with the Scala) Been using it now for over two years with great results.

·
I'm Retired
9,368 Posts
You may want to look at two recent threads.

1. Looking at a Bluetooth modular helmet and need opinions viewtopic.php?f=61&t=47942
2. Headcase Bluetooth Modular helmet viewtopic.php?f=61&t=47946

It seems like a waste to put aside a perfectly good expensive helmet, but if I really had to get Bluetooth intercom communications, I think I'd look at either the Vegas or Hardcase helmets shown in these threads. Both are less than the cost of a Bluetooth add-on, and you get a helmet with the communications device installed. Just looking at the specs, they seem to be working at getting things right. Weight is down considerably, yet they have the features of helmets costing easily $100 more.

One of the things I've learned from reading helmet reviews on webBikeWorld, is that cost is not always an indicator of quality.

Chris

·
Premium Member
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Intercoms?!! Very useful feature of Interphone F4

I bought a pair of Blue Ant Interphone F4 intercoms. Thus far, I'm quite pleased. Phone (iPhone 4) and intercom work very well after you figure out the button-push and beep sequences.

Initially, I had tried to use the helmet speakers, but the volume was not loud enough at highway speeds for me since I wear earplugs. My wife who rides on the pillion does not need earplugs because I block the wind for her and her F4 works just fine.

The F4 has one neat feature that I have not found on other Bluetooth intercoms. The right speaker is connected to a 3/32"/2.5 mm jack connected to the right speaker/mike unit. Since its only mono I searched and found an adapter with a male 3/32" jack and a 1/8" stereo female socket. This works perfectly with mono to both ears -- who needs stereo on a bike?! I could have also clipped off the jack on my earphones and replace the 1/8" jack with a 3/32" from Radio Shack.

·
Premium Member
11,295 Posts
Paul - What was the problem with the Autocom? Surely not the one lead connecting the helmet to the bike? Do you still have it?

I have a Zumo, Autocom with bluetooth module and a Kenwood bike to bike - all works seamlessly (Phone pairs with autocom bluetooth module, zumo 3.5 mm to autocom delivers nav info/mp3 and kenwood wired to autocom transmit on VOX.

·
Premium Member
1,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My Autocom was an older unit and it did not have Bluetooth. My wife and I just got tired of the wired and wanted a wireless setup.

BTW, I just got back from a 500 mile ride using the F4 and it worked just great. I was riding a Harley Davidson Road King with no windshield and callers on my cell phone could not tell that I was on the bike. Phone calls caused a beep, then I'd press a button take the call, and return to the podcast or music I had been listening to.

The F4 has an advantage in that the second earphone connects via a 2.5 mm plug. I got a 2.5 mm mono to 3.5 mm stereo adapter and fed the input to my Etymotic earphones. That worked just great.

I made the mistake of starting the Harley once with my helmet on the hand grip. Of course it popped right off (Harleys have such a smooth (sic!) idle. The F4 caught the impact keeping the helmet from any damage, and it worked just fine for another 250 miles. The F$, in addition to its audio qualities, is one tough little item.

·
Premium Member
11,295 Posts
OK thanks Paul, the main thing is you are content.
However do not discount the Autocom unit completely even some older models can work with a bluetooth module and that can give it new life. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts