Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just discovered the MotoComm Audio Boss intercom. This unit has EVERYTHING a biker could want for only $165.

Full duplex intercom, complete with passenger + driver headsets, coiled extension cables with 6 pin DIN connectors, 2 extra microphones for full face helmet, and aux inputs for stereo, radar detector, mobile phone, and a GMRS or CB radio all with required cables + connectors. Even includes 2 push to talk switches so driver or passenger can talk on the GMRS/CB.

includes Automatic mute and mixing of signals.

Details at:
http://www.alfenterprises.com/motorcyle ... adsets.htm

Does anyone have experience with this unit?

Fred

·
Registered
394 Posts
Fred said:
I have just discovered the MotoComm Audio Boss intercom. This unit has EVERYTHING a biker could want for only $165...
I have never used the product in question and it may be a fine product that delivers perfectly everything it says it does. However, the saying comes to mind, "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is." I, too, would be very interested in hearing any real world road test of this product.

My experience with bike (scooter) communication equipment is that low budget gear can be adequate in low speed, low noise situations, but become dang near impossible to hear when the wind is rushing by your helmet at 60 mph. Even then, unless they provide superior signal amplification capabilities, jacking-in external music sources are just not loud enough to be heard even at modest speeds. And this was with a full-face helmet behind a Givi screen on a AN650.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You will get your wish.

I just ordered the Audio Boss after finding several EXCELLENT reviews on line for their helmet headsets & cables, which are also sold seperately for the popular FRS/GMRS 2 way radios.

Unfortunately, I could not find any reviews of the amplifier anywhere. But that is OK. Even if I toss the amp, I can rewire the headsets for use with my AM-FM-Stereo and CB Radio which I have mounted under a shelf across the handlebars of my 650-K4, or else adapt the headsets for a different intercom.

The first known review of Audio Boss will be coming within the next week or two.

Fred

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Audio Boss Review

Here is my experience with MotoCom AudioBoss. Just as Adam said, it worked well at low speeds. Below 25 MPH everything worked as advertised.
However at speeds between 25mph and 45 mph, wind noise made the intercom priority circuits repeatedly switch the music device off and on, very annoying. At speeds beyond 45mph, the music device rarely came on at all. True even while sitting behind a Givi wind screen, the face shields down, and the mic resting on my lips.

Sound levels were adequate at highway speeds. My only real complaint was the poor performance of the intercom priority circuits switching off the music device from wind noise. Also, stereo from the music device is converted to mono and sent to both speakers, less than ideal.

The Audio Boss includes a FM radio without a frequency display. I never used the radio since there is no need for it. Including a radio into a motorcycle intercom was a waste, in my opinion. No one can compete with the Sony Walkman, and MP3 players out there.

Since the music device is VERY important to me, I sent AudioBoss back to to the dealer for CC credit.

Fred

·
Registered
85 Posts
Throat mikes

Hey Fred:
It seems as though IASUS makes most of the sets out there.. The real difference is the chioce between two pick-ups or one like I have. That set from Cabelas sounds like a good deal because its nice to have the PTT option if you want it. ClearComm also sold the two pick-up set that included helmet speakers. This was the set that they were demo-ing at the M/C show. $ 100. a set .. using Motorola FRS radios. Let me know how those ones from Cabelas work..
RV

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Fox Fire throat microphone from Cabellas rates as unsatisfactory and slightly better than nothing at highway speeds. It is very difficult to understand what is being said, and one earbud is not satisfactory over the road noise. javascript:emoticon(':(')
http://www.cabelas.com/
http://www.firefoxtech.com/

Has anyone tried the ClearerCommunications throat mic?
http://www.clearercom.com/motorcycle_headset.htm
Does this model provide excellent voice quality at highway speeds? Or is this just another DUD?

Fred

·
Registered
85 Posts
intercoms

This is not sounding so good :(
I've got the Clearer Com set, but I 'm not on the road yet (snow). So I can't comment on how well it handles road noise. Works great around the house though. I've got the single mic / earbud set. I looked at the motorcycle set they sell with dual mic's and two helmet speakers... but I didn't want to mount anything in my helmets.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rob,

Let us know how well it performs at 70 mph.

I sent ClearerCom an email about how good voice quality is on their GT product is at 70 mph, and will they take a return with full refund if I am unsatisfied... They will not answer my email, so I must assume their product is just another DUD.

Does anyone out there have an intercom that works well at 70 mph?? And also provides good quality music from the music device that is NOT muted from wind noise??

Fred

·
Registered
85 Posts
intercom

Fred

The snow is gone now... and its time to put the insurance back on the Burger. I find myself sitting on it ...longing to go for a ride. So the testing of the Clearer Comm set is soon. Yesterday I was out and installed the Mirth LED turn signal/mirrors.... They work great I'll get a photo in the album later today. These were an expensive under taking, so I'm not inclinded to sugest it to anyone.
RV

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My wife and I are using the amazing Cobra PR4000 FRS/GMRS radios for intercom. These radios transmit 3 watts and are loaded with features. They tout a 7 mile range, but in the real world a good strong signal is about 1/2 to 1 mile, good enough for bike to bike communications and intercom use.

I have just ordered these headsets from:
I will be giving a product review when I get them. I also have ordered their radio adaptor cord. Because the radio is manually switched in and out, I don't have to worry about wind noise muting the radio as is the problem with commercial and expensive intercoms.

Fred

·
Registered
498 Posts
Autocom intercoms are one of the few systems to offer both voice activation and high quality boom microphone headsets, that allow perfectly clear conversation at ANY road speed.

Autocom is the choice of many WSBK, Ascar, Rally and other motorsports operations in Europe, as well as Rider Trainers and emergency services motorcyclists. They are so confident of their products quality they offer a money back guarantee.

Along with voice activation it has:
Ultra clear helmet fitted stereo speakers
Input for MD/CD/GPS & mobile phones
Automatic muting to 50% of music in rider-passenger/rider-rider conversation
Automatic cut of music when using the mobile phone
Compatible with a wide range of transceivers
Boom microphone headset that does not amplify ambient noise/wind noise
Bike mountable/powerable or battery powerable and fits into a touring jackets pocket.

Recommended.

Approx 400 USD for the intercom system and boom headset for one rider, and additional for the transceiver of your choice.

You will never look back after purchasing this - I tour in tandem on the 650 and have never had any problems with converstion when we've cruised at 95mph. Once I must confess to being late for the morning rendezvous for a one day touring, and took the x11 up to 140mph on an empty highway whilst explaining to a waiting rider my exact position and ETA - without problem.

Similarly, I commute on a Reflex 250 and often run conference calls over the intercom from my mobile phone - no-one has ever realsied that I'm not sitting in the office at a conference bridge. Part of the commute is riding over a 3km bridge that is always windy enough to move the motorcycle significantly within the lane, yet no-one has ever commented on the wind noise.

Check out their web site: http://www.autocom.co.uk
You'll see an on-line demonstration of a circuit training instructor and pupil using the system at over 130mph with completely clear wind free conversation.

It's not cheap, but it's the best.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Lycheed,

My problem with intercoms is not with voice quality while talking. They all do that more or less acceptably.

Here is THE BIG PROBLEM: Muting of the Music Device from wind noise. If you have an Autocom, please tell me about wind noise muting the Music Device while driving at 75 mph... What kind of music device are you using?

Fred

·
Registered
10 Posts
Intercom vrs. wind noise

It's been known for years that wind noise WILL damage your hearing. Because of this fact, I always wear ear plugs. The bonus to using ear plugs is that all music and communications are clear at all speeds. Try it, I have over 100,000 miles on Honda Gold Wings using ear plugs with cb, intercom, and music in my ears. It's not for everybody, some have enough voices in their head already !

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Guys,

I am trying to fund an intercom that will NOT mute the music device from wind noise at 75 mph. but WILL mute the music when I am talking in into the intercom at that speed.

I expect to hear reliable music while driving the highway at 75 mph.

Is there such a thing? If so, what brand and how much of a problem is it to set the microphone sensitivity?

Fred

·
Registered
308 Posts
Fred said:
Guys,

Is there such a thing? If so, what brand and how much of a problem is it to set the microphone sensitivity?

Fred
Although the quality of the muting logic and circuitry is importnat, the most critical thing is the quality of the noise canceling mic used in the headset. I have worked professionaly with two-way radio as a technican, and the police depts. that contracted for used a variety of great quality noise canceling throat mics. The whole setup for a prof. qual helmet comms system is around 400-600 bux.

A Noise canceling mic uses two elements: one is faced out to the wind noise, the other is faced to your mouth or throat. A circuit in the control box sums these signals to remove the wind noise signal - about 33-8 DBM. This is enough for a boom mic in front of your mouth up to about 45 mph, behind a windscreen. Above that you need a full helmet with the mic and earbuds inside.

Noise canceling headsets need a balanced input to the intercom/radio, so its a 3 wire affair - if your headset has a standard phone plug -like cheaper FRS headsets, it will not work well with a standard boom mic on a motorcycle.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
To: Ray Anderson

Do you actually own a J&M intercom? Can you actually verify that this brand does NOT have problems muting the music device at 70 mph?

I am looking for someone that has actual good experience with this. The manufacturers LIE about this problem, and so cannot be trusted. J&M will not even answer my Emails on this subject.

I don't want opinions unless you actually have a product and are completely satisfied with it. This means that the music device muting works PROPERLY at highway speeds.

Fred

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
To: ABM

ABM,

What brand of intercom do you actually own that has the proper microphone setup and muting electronics that results in proper muting of the radio device at highway speeds?

Fred

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
To All

I have finally found the ideal inexpensive intercom setup that does not suffer from wind noise problems. 2 Cobra PR400 FRS/GMRS 2 way radios from WalMart only $80 with MC755 helmet headsets from Alf Enterprises only $50 each. This setup is works well for both intercom to the passenger AND bike to bike communications. This Cobra can transmit on ALL GMRS + ALL FRS channels. It also transmits a good 3 watts of power, so a good strong signal is available for up to 1 mile for bike-to-bike. Power output is afjustable to LOW to extend battery life for passenger intercom. Cobra Marketing touts a 7 miles transmission area, but that is simply your typical marketing LIES. A signal strong enough to break squelch is limited to 1 mile or less in the real world.

For connection to the Music Device, the AUX-1 adaptor cable provides for stereo music to the headset, with the Cobra radio into the left speaker. A switch on the headset cable allows the music to be muted and puts the Cobra into both headphones.

The wife has her FRS radio and cables inside a fanny pack with her PTT switch mounted to the fanny pack belt. My radio and cables fit nicely into the left glove compartment, with the PTT switch mounted to the left handlebar with a velcro strap.

Your music device needs enough power to drive a speaker. So you may need a separate portable amplifier such as boosteroo for MP3 devices or Walkman type devices. Radio Shack also sells a portable amplifier.

I have my AUX-1 Music cable attached to the car radio mounted between the handlebars of my Burgman. Attachment is via 2 isolation transformers because the speaker output from the car radio does not have a common ground. The secondary windings of the isolation transformers then drive the headsets. See photos of my radio setup at:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/burgmanAN650/
See Photos + AM-FM-MP3 + CB folder.

Wind noise is not a problem because the radio device is MANUALLY switched in and out as desired, and also because voice communication is also controlled via a manual PTT switch. The wind cannot operate manual switches ! ! !

J&M refuses to talk about the subject of wind noise muting the music device, and also refuses to discuss a money back satisfaction guarantee. Ditto AutoComm. They obviously know this is a show stopping problem.

If anyone finds an intercom that is immune to wind noise muting the music device, let me know. Until then, I have a solution that works well.

Fred

1 - 20 of 77 Posts