Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Folks,

I just got a yearly policy from Progressive Insurance (pi) for 50/100/25 with $100 deductable with medical and uninsured driver for $240. They did not ask about driving mileage nor experience riding. Now I know someone who only pays pi $80 (getting details now). What gives? :?

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Burgman in the Wilds :?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I know what you're feeling. Insurance companies can be a scam sometimes.

A lot of times they factor things in such as "theft risk" both for the likelihood that a particular style of bike could be stolen and for what they might consider to be a high risk "area" for thefts to occur when deciding insurance rates -- and though they might offer you a discount for things like an installed alarm system they often won't allow you to factor in other security measures like having a secure enclosure, locks, etc., which I think sux major big time.

Here in Hawaii, everyone is required by law to have mandatory ''No Fault'' insurance, so insurance companies here have a captive predatory market that they can squeeze the lifeblood out of -- but we also have one of the highest rates of automobile & motorcycle theft rates in the country ... so factoring in those two things, my yearly insurance rate is well over $400! - And that's WITH the 15% "discount" for having taken the MSF riding course ...and a $250 deductable! (One of the major reasons I turned down the opportunity to purchase the Burgman 650 was that the insurance quoted me was close to $700!)

Insurance companies like to play around with all sorts of numbers when determining rates. The best chance of insuring a motorcycle at a reasonable rate is to also be the owner of a standard 4-wheeled vehicle and cover your motorcycle(s) under your car insurance policy, since there are only but two major insurance companies (that I know of) that offer motorcycle insurance "outright" -- the others won't touch a motorcylcle unless you also have a car/truck that you're insuring with them. It's a "three card monte," as far as I'm concerned.

"Tropical Storm Adrian"

:spam1:

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
You just found out how much insurance quotes vary. There are a lot of factors which go into insurance rates. Your age, maritial status, driving record, where you live, what you drive, other policies with the company all factor in.
I have 100/300 for liability, uninsured and underinsured motorist, plus collision and comprehensive each with a $250 deductible for a total of $76 per year premium. I also have had my auto insuranc with Progressive for the past 5 years, and I also got a homeowners discount. That's for the Burgman 650. But I got the same rate for the 400, and the Yamaha Majesty when I tried quotes on those scooters.
I know others who've tried Progressive for their cars, and they get much higher rates than I do. I on the other hand, can't find a company yet that comes close to progressive.
Best thing is to get quotes from every company you can, and compare them.

·
Registered
116 Posts
How about the effect of passing the MSF course has on your insurance? I understand that lowers it considerably. Any input from people with experience in that area?
-Moo

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
With Progressive in California, I receive a 10% discount for passing the MSF course.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I have the same coverage as Brewman in Mn, however I pay 169.00 per year in GA. I tried Progressive but they were far more expensive than Dairyland, which served me well when I had my accident with the Suzuki Savage. So I am happy with them.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Well all u guys should feel real good about your rates becuz I pay $440 a year with progressive here in Detroit, Michigan. They were the cheapest & they are the only ones who don't rate it as a motorcycle. Believe me, I checked around but all the "scooter riders" here in Michigan all use Progressive becuz they are the best thing going. So now how do u feel about your $$200 rates???

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Figures

Ask a simple question (as if one about insurance is ever simple) and see what you get for an answer...LOL. Anyways...I live in Amboy Washington, in the shadow (or rather plume) of Mt. St. Helens.

I guess I will have to ask around here what the effect of a safety course is on the insurance and how much folks are paying locally.

I look forward to seeing any of you on the road soon.

Counting down until the bike arrives.

Bob, rider of the Burgster

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Progressive stopped offering the MSF discount at least in MN, when I purchased my policy this past spring, I inquired about it, and that's what I was told by their customer service rep. Other states probably vary.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Brewman said:
Progressive stopped offering the MSF discount at least in MN, when I purchased my policy this past spring, I inquired about it, and that's what I was told by their customer service rep. Other states probably vary.
I'm curious -- Did you purchase direct (from Progressive) or through a representative (authorized by Progressive)? If the latter, then you probably could have been sold a bill of goods when they told you that.

The other possibility could be that you've passed the "effective date," if you will, for how long the insurer will offer the discount.

As expressed in the autos.msn "news & advice" section:

''Every major insurance company in the U.S. that writes motorcycle policies offers a discount to graduates of [the Motorcycle Safety Foundation's] training courses. Most, however, limit the discount to three years after completion of the course. When you think about it, this is not a bad thing. Take one of the MSF's street-riding courses every three years, have your techniques dutifully refreshed and save money.''

= Aloha =
''Tropical Storm Adrian''

:spam1:

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
I was informed of this by callind Progressive's customer service line, and that is what I was told by their CS rep. I didn't push the issue. as my policy is, in my opinion, very inexpensive already, at $76 per year for the coverage I've noted earlier in this thread.
If I recall, the Progressive rep. said that they stopped giving a discount for the MSF course to Minnesota policy holders, as of a certain date, but I don't remember what date. It was months before I ran my quotes.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hey Mr Wizard,
Amboy, you aren't that far away. I have been trolling here looking for someone within 50 miles of me.
Let me know if you want to meet for a ride. I am in Portland.
if there is anyone else in the radius that would like to join up, don't be shy.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
You guys should live up here in the frozen north.
The insurance rates are HOT!

I got 3 quotes for me 650 insurance.

The cheapest one was with my car and house insurer, just under $900.00 per year.
I had one quote of about $1400.00 and another just under $2300.00

I took the cheapest one.

That is full coverage, and includes discounts for insuring two cars and house with them, and taking the safety course as well. :(

Costs me nearly $80.00 per month, plus gas, plus payments etc.

Owning a 650 burg is EXPENSIVE up here.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Progressives rates

I have Progressive insurance on my Burgman 400. I discovered that they charged me a higher premium because I did not have credit before I was 30 years old (I'm 65 now!). I talked to the supervisor and he made some changes so that I received a best rate. Bob

·
Registered
350 Posts
I am an insurance agent in Wisconsin. Progressive is one of my companies but as an independent, I have several other companies. Most companies are now using credit in their rating. That's why they ask for social security numbers. Also where you live makes a big difference. The person you said was getting such a good rate may be in a lower rated territory or have excellent credit.
I have a spotless driving record and "walk on water" credit. On my 05 Burgman 650 I have 100/300/100 limits, $5000 med and $100 comp and collision and I pay $134 per year.

Lots of different factors figure into the rates.

Buzz

·
Registered
239 Posts
mrwizard10 said:
I just got a yearly policy from Progressive Insurance (pi) for 50/100/25 with $100 deductable with medical and uninsured driver for $240.>>
MMMmmm....Need to compare rates for people in Washington to get a correct feel for whats fair...

I'm in Florida...Progressive gave me 100/300/100 with $2000 deductible on Medical and Uninsured Motorist for $249 for 12 months.

No Comprehensive or Collision on the Burgie...but not required because its not Financed.

And would you believe that I pay a higher rate because my Credit Report shows NO Car Loans either outstanding or paid off...

Thats what I get for Paying Cash every time I've bought a Car or Truck....I'm TOO F***ING Responsible!!!!!!!

~ R

·
Registered
305 Posts
I have Progressive with 50/100/25, including Comprehensive,Collision, Custom Parts & Equipment, and Roadside Assistance for $190.00 a year. I also payed cash,but I wanted collision anyway. It's not easy to come up with $ 8000.00 every time you need a new bike. The first year Progressive charged me $226.00 for same coverage.

Butch

·
Registered
239 Posts
Well for everyones edification...all Insurance Companies are now checking Credit Scores and using them (unfairly IMO) to charge higher premiums.

Also when you get your documents if you take time to read them you will find that because the Insurance company asked for your Credit History you are entitled to get within 30 days a FREE copy.

They also check with places like ChoicePoint and LexusNexus to see if you have outstanding/been involved in lawsuits or "Differences of Opinion" with (Name Buisiness) that they also use to Raise your Rates.

I asked for my reports from both and recieved them along with an explanation that I was charged a Higher Premium BECAUSE I HAVE NO AUTO OR CONSUMER LOANS IN MY CREDIT FILE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In other words I get to pay a Higher Premium because I have always been Responsible and Lived within my Means and avoided Debt...

You would think the Credit Cards with there perfect payment records would count but NOOOOOOOO....They want me to Prove I'm a Good Little American by Having My @ss Mortgaged to the Hilt....THEN they'll cut me some slack on the rate.

This is one time I wish there was a Law....

~ R

·
Registered
126 Posts
Well after reading all u guys rates, **** I'm starting to feel like I got the vaseline treatment. :bootyshake: :bootyshake: :bootyshake:
Remember I'm in Detroit paying $440 a year. I will be calling Progressive Monday!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts