Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried calling Certas Insurance in Toronto. They classify the Burgman 400 and 650 as "Mopeds". Full coverage with $1M liability, $300 collision and $300 comprehensive coverage is $481 per year. The insurance rate is identical for the 400 or 650. There is no discount for a safety training course due to the Moped classification of the scooter.

The rate of $481/year is with an M1 or M2 license (no difference). Collision makes up $212 of the cost. As I have not bought a Burgy yet, I wasn't able to provide a VIN to check whether the classification will change.

Certas can be reached at 1-888-275-2422.

Dave from Pickering

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
:shock: Wow great news thanks. I'm getting on the phone right away!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I switced from State Farm to Progressive and now pay $81 a year for full coverage. I live in Indiana. $100,00 comp and uninsured motorist and 250 deductible.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Wonder if they'll lower it a little more if you've taken a MSC?

I'm antsy. I want to ride a Burgman. But I still have a little ways to go, studying the handbook for the Level One test I still have to book. :(

But soon. :)

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Progressive

Roger Buente said:
I switced from State Farm to Progressive and now pay $81 a year for full coverage. I live in Indiana. $100,00 comp and uninsured motorist and 250 deductible.
I live in Canada and have State Farm insurance on all my cars and house.
I hear ( haven't checked yet), that State farm is pretty good.
I'm just wondering, does Progressive insure bikes up here in canada?

·
Registered
193 Posts
For what it's worth, I live in CA and I have state Farm on my cars and
house (including earthquake ins.).
The AN650 costs $175 every six months:$100k/300k/50k with collision and a $1k deductible.
The ET4 Vespa is $85/6 mos.
Hasta,
GinDrinker
:D

·
Registered
82 Posts
I live in Las Vegas and thought the rates here were high. WOW :( about the Canada rates. I am with Farmers, 100/300/50 and 500 deductible. 71 dollars US every 6 months. I guess I should be happy :lol:

·
Registered
152 Posts
In Saskatchewan we don't have options as it's through our government - however I feel there not too bad.

Here they are:

Burgman 400: 3 months - $84, 6 months - $156, 1 year - $291
Burgman 650: 3 months - $257, 6 months - $498, 1 year - $945

In Saskatchewan the 400cc bikes are the sweet spot for insurance.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Vancouver, B.C.

We have to get the basic from ICBC. $300 year for my Burgman 400.
Got the rest from Coast Capital around $450. year. Coast Cap doesn't insure "scooters" so they put me down as a cruiser.

To get the rest of the coverage from ICBC, it would cost over $1000.

ICBC + Coast Cap = $750. a year full coverage or
ICBC only = around $1300. a year full coverage.

That's why I got rid of my 02 Honda CBR600F4i (over $2000. a year full coverage from ICBC)

·
Registered
209 Posts
garyw0cki said:
I am with Farmers, 100/300/50 and 500 deductible. 71 dollars US every 6 months.
It's amazing how companies will handle people in different states very differently. My cars and home are with Farmers so, when I got the Burgman, I contacted my agent about adding it on. The cost to do so would have been significantly more than my car! (And, no, my car isn't a 1972 Ford Pinto.) So I did a little research and ended up going with Progressive for just about $200 a year. (I'm at work now so I don't have all the facts and figures about coverage levels, price, etc.)

·
Registered
639 Posts
ICBC (Gov't Monopoly) for basic coverage and one million third party cost me $627 for my 650.
Private insurance for the "all perils" with $500 deductable added $396, for a total of $1023 for one years insurance. :(

If ICBC did the whole policy, the cost was going to be over $1500. Since ICBC does not take usage into account, just cc's, I am paying the same as some kid on a crotch rocket! :angry4: That's crazy!

BTW, the above figures are after my good drivers discount of 43%. If you want a Gold Wing, then you better have real deep pockets! :(

·
Registered
2 Posts
Insurance

Hello I live in Israel and I wish to recount you on rises of the insurances [insurances rise] here
The Cost of the insurance for one year for my B-650 ( comprehensive insurance ) that Against thefts and firef is 1700 $

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
State Farm rates in Toronto area

I live in Burlington, about 75 KM's from Toronto

I have State Farm on my car, my wife's car, my house and my son's car .
I have an umbrella policy (combining some insurance with house and car for best rates).

The price quoted me today for 2004 Burgs
400 $578.00 per year
650 $926.00 per year

Apparently the 600 cc mark is the dividing line for them on the higher rates.

Seems a little steep to me. My car only costs me 1100 per year.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
1000.00 a year. That’s insane. I’m raising **** about 431.00.
Yup ... we're one hour west of Toronto (KW area). For the 2016 Burg 400 and 2005 Honda Silverwing, we're almost $1,200 now.
We started out at about $1 per day for each scooter 14 years ago. $500 deductible and $1m liability on both.

·
Registered
630 Posts
The Necromancer Appears!

Dudes, this thread is from 2004! Those posts are little more than scattered bones now. Insurance is still pretty outrageous though. :laugh

1 - 16 of 16 Posts