Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

unfortunately, on Monday I managed to wreck my beloved 04 Burgman with approx. 17,500 miles on it. :cry:
The damage is so severe that the insurance company decided to total it.
Out of curiosity I asked them what the buy back price would be and they asked for $800.
Now I wonder whether its worth it to part it out and sell the single parts.
Mechanical there wasn't any problem and it's still drivable, all damage just of cosmetic nature.

What would be your recommendation?

Thanks,
steh-fan

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I think that it is always possible to try to make a better deal with the insurance company - I dont think that figure of $800 is - CAST IN STONE!....... If you are good at disassembly - I would go for it..as I think there is at least $7-800.00 of parts......! BUT - first - I would find out what the market is for these parts......!!!!!!!! After all - it is 9 years old......!!! Good luck! :thumbup: :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I as an insurance adjuster for 31+ years and the price for the wrecked vehicle was always very flexible. On normal vehicles, the going price was 20% of the settlement price but motorcycles and the like were usually far less in real life and 4X4s and trucks were more. Frequently, motorcycles and scooters brought very little at auction (other than Harleys) and sometimes the sales price didn't cover the towing and auction fees. If I were you, I would offer what it is worth to you. Most adjusters have little knowledge of anything with less than 4 wheels.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Is the frame bent? If the frame is not bent you may even be able to rebuild it. I have found several sites with reasonable prices for replacement parts. One of them is bikebandits.com There is also a site named partape.com but it looks like you have to know how to manipulate the website to get what you want. It sells used motorcycle parts, but I have tried to locate Burgman 400 parts in general and everything shows up, including none Suzuki parts. Another place is partzilla.com. You will have to decide for yourself if it is worthwhile to rebuild though. Remember that the insurance company sees the book value of a scooter, not the value you put on it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello,

thanks for all the replies! I pretty much decided against rebuilding it as almost all fairing parts are effected. I would assume it's at least $1000 in parts.... So far mobody mentioned anything about the frame and since it was a pretty low speed drop, I would assume it's not effected.
However, I thought I wouldn't mind a newer Burgman model.
The market for parts is my biggest concern, plus all the time that goes into it (disassembling, advertising, shipping, etc.). But it maybe a good idea to negotiate the buy back price again.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Parting it out is much easier and more profitable rather than rebuilding it and then going through the pains of getting a salvage title for it. :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
Wow, this could be fortuitous timing, for me at least...........I could well be in the market for an engine.

If you decide to part out, please PM me to see if we can put a deal together.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts