Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since insurance seems to be a hot topic on here these days - I called my agent at State Farm to verify my protective gear and accessories are covered in an accident. Here is what she had to say:

• Your protective gear is covered if it is damaged in an accident, up to $3000 coverage.
  • I called claims and they said bike accessories are covered. They look for receipts and pictures of the bike showing the items were attached to the bike, especially if it is very high end pricing on the accessories. If it is within normal price range the pictures may be enough but that is determined in the event of a loss. I would keep all receipts for any upgrades you make to the bike.
You guys may want to call your agent and see if you get the same answers.

My typical protective gear breaks down this way:

• Schuberth C3 Pro Helmet w/SRC: $1175
  • First Gear Kilimanjaro Jacket: $320
  • Boots: $300
  • Gloves: $100
  • Kevlar Jeans: $125
Total of $2020. So I have plenty of room for various assorted other things if necessary. Happy with the $3000 in coverage.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Since insurance seems to be a hot topic on here these days - I called my agent at State Farm to verify my protective gear and accessories are covered in an accident. Here is what she had to say:

• Your protective gear is covered if it is damaged in an accident, up to $3000 coverage.
  • I called claims and they said bike accessories are covered. They look for receipts and pictures of the bike showing the items were attached to the bike, especially if it is very high end pricing on the accessories. If it is within normal price range the pictures may be enough but that is determined in the event of a loss. I would keep all receipts for any upgrades you make to the bike.
You guys may want to call your agent and see if you get the same answers.

My typical protective gear breaks down this way:

• Schuberth C3 Pro Helmet w/SRC: $1175
  • First Gear Kilimanjaro Jacket: $320
  • Boots: $300
  • Gloves: $100
  • Kevlar Jeans: $125
Total of $2020. So I have plenty of room for various assorted other things if necessary. Happy with the $3000 in coverage.
I too, have State Farm. When I took a spill, they included by top box, side deflectors and, Givi Airflow. I don't recall if I claimed my helmet. If I didn't, I should have.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I have pictures of all the aftermarket accessories I've added to my burgman on my computer, a flash drive and my insurance agent has copies. Everything was bought online so very easy to get receipts.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I am glad I'm old and don't have to concern myself with $2000 worth of stuff. I wear a baseball hat, sunglasses, t-shirt, shoes and shorts...
I know that someone will chime in with the standard AGATT stuff, but I am jealous of your wardrobe. If I could, I am sure that I would make the odd trip dressed as you do,,(except I'd be wearing my Birkenstocks)

Blakers

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
One reaches a point in life where worrying about dying is actually a secondary or tertiary concern--someone once asked me if I worried about being killed in a bad motorcycle crash, I told then that I actually worry about not being killed in such a crash. Over the years too many friends have ended up vegetating in a bed or wheelchair because they "made it".

Ride sensibly and defensively as all get out. If you flirt with the edge you will find it...

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
One reaches a point in life where worrying about dying is actually a secondary or tertiary concern--someone once asked me if I worried about being killed in a bad motorcycle crash, I told then that I actually worry about not being killed in such a crash. Over the years too many friends have ended up vegetating in a bed or wheelchair because they "made it"..
I don't worry about dying in a crash either - I worry about living in an unsatisfactory condition. I at least want to have the mobility required to put a bullet in my head if needed.

·
Registered
425 Posts
It no doubt would, however at 100°F and 92% humidity it would curse me the 99.999% of the time I stay upright.

And again, it is a risk I am willing to take--others may of course do as they wish, it is important for a man to know his limitations...
Why don't the Hells Angels or other motorycle outlaw gangs wear ATGATT? Do they think they are invincible against SUV's and angry pick up truck drivers?:kermit:

·
Administrator
18,726 Posts
AGATT is 100% a personal choice. But I am here due to its use 9 days ago. "Ah shucks, it just another commute just like the 1500's before". Just over 3 years of a 82 mile commute since my last accident and this one, so yep about 1500 one way commutes and POW. But its still my choice and no one will make me ride without it.

I will be finding out how I was covered in a few days. I have an open claim with Formost but they have not come out and looked at he bike or my gear yet. I don't even have a police report yet.

·
Registered
96 Posts
kxj5906 In reference to your question, they don't wear ATGATT because they're Machomen
free spirited clones. The vast majority of motorcycle accidents I have seen on the TV news and read of in the news papers have been Hardley Ablesons.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
kxj5906 In reference to your question, they don't wear ATGATT because they're Machomen
free spirited clones. The vast majority of motorcycle accidents I have seen on the TV news and read of in the news papers have been Hardley Ablesons.
The vast majority I hear of here in Florida are because the rider was drunk, showing off, following too close, unsafe speed for existing traffic/conditions, not paying attention/distracted, splitting lanes, riding in a car or truck's blind spot, passing in an unsafe manner, or any number of other ways one can ride unsafely...

During Bike Week I saw one fellow screwing with his radio and end up ass-over-teakettle, and another with a chick on the back just drive into the back of a pick-up stopped at a light...

·
Administrator
18,726 Posts
I am waiting for Formost to review the case. I found out that I was the only vehicle involved. I have liability only but uninsured/underinsured but I may have to prove that the tire was thrown at me and caused me to hit the concrete barrier. The police report states "Unit traveling southbound lane 3 of 3. Unit struck tire debris, lost control and went down." Very vague description and may not be enough.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am waiting for Formost to review the case. I found out that I was the only vehicle involved. I have liability only but uninsured/underinsured but I may have to prove that the tire was thrown at me and caused me to hit the concrete barrier. The police report states "Unit traveling southbound lane 3 of 3. Unit struck tire debris, lost control and went down." Very vague description and may not be enough.
So, no witnesses? Cars around/behind you? The offending car didn't stop?

That all sucks. I think you will get screwed otherwise.

·
Administrator
18,726 Posts
So, no witnesses? Cars around/behind you? The offending car didn't stop?

That all sucks. I think you will get screwed otherwise.
The only witness was the other biker and he was about 1/8 mile behind me. But when I got my paper copy of the police report, the final page that has the diagram showing all lanes and my bike as a stick figure with two dark areas front and rear, it shows my bike hitting the debris with an arrow of the debris coming from lane two into lane 3. The wording of the report is junk but the pictire is worth a lot.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The only witness was the other biker and he was about 1/8 mile behind me. But when I got my paper copy of the police report, the final page that has the diagram showing all lanes and my bike as a stick figure with two dark areas front and rear, it shows my bike hitting the debris with an arrow of the debris coming from lane two into lane 3. The wording of the report is junk but the pictire is worth a lot.
Well, if you need a witness, let me know, I will swear I saw the whole thing, and that it was the other car! :)

·
Registered
770 Posts
It no doubt would, however at 100°F and 92% humidity it would curse me the 99.999% of the time I stay upright.

And again, it is a risk I am willing to take--others may of course do as they wish, it is important for a man to know his limitations...
From experience: you would probably be COOLER in a light-colored mesh riding jacket.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts