Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed the Instatrike Kit on their 650? I would be interested in finding out how it worked out and how much is involved in removal and replacement. My wife is nervous about being on two wheels after several years as a passenger on a Goldwing trike. But I'm reluctant to lay out
$2k plus without some assurance of performance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,363 Posts
I saw a few AN650s equipped with those at Scootercade. Most were being ridden by women. They seemed to be zipping around just fine. The vendor was there with a demo machine too - but I never got around to riding it. There were also some Honda Silverwings and at least one Helix equipped with the device. I didn't hear any bad feedback on them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,363 Posts
My impression of these kits was that they looked weird. They actually look a little better on the Honda scooters than they do on the Burgmans. They are not a "trike" conversion, like the GoldWing trikes where the whole rear end of the bike is rebuilt. On the scooters, the stock rear drive wheel is still there, and still doing its job of pushing the scoot and braking. These are really a similar concept to bicycle training wheels, except that they do have a suspension and are adjusted to stay on the ground. You end up with a 4 wheel bike.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
Insta-Trike

Doesn't the 4 wheels on ground disqualify as a bike/trike? I have always read as long as you have a cycle title and use that TTT you can build your own bike/trike on that title but no more than 3 wheels. Sure you have your bike already titled and licenesed but you now have 3 wheels.
charlie
in TX[/b][/quote]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
428 Posts
LOL!!
If you need those training wheels for your scooter, I supect you need to either back away from the buffet line, keep practicing in the Wal Mart parking lot, or both.





Peace.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,363 Posts
I don't know. There were a few gals riding scoots with these kits installed at Scootercade - and they weren't handicapped. May have been a guy or two also - I didn't notice. Anyway, there were more of them in use than I would have anticipated. These kits cost $2,000. They don't enhance the appearance of the scooters in my opinion. I just didn't get it. The website lists "stability and versatility" as the reason for buying them, but doesn't elaborate.

I should have asked a couple of owners - why? I also should have test rode the demo AN650 with the kit installed. There has to be a reason that these appeal to some people. Now, I'm curious. :?

For a "flatlander", I like to ride through curves at a pretty decent clip. (I wasn't always a flatlander...) I'd think these things would seriously limit that kind of fun.

Incidently, they raffled off one of these kits at Scootercade - to be installed on the scooter of your choice. If I'd known what they cost, I might have bought a ticket!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,278 Posts
The only reason I'd ever consider adding a trike kit to my Burgman is if I had a medical condition that restricted me from safely holding the bike up. Like Paul said, part of the fun in riding is cutting up the twisties and you can't safely do that with a trike kit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,070 Posts
Gents, remember that many of us are "ageing" pretty rapidly. Its only a matter of time till our balance and coordination is insufficient for 2 wheel riding. Three wheelers, or four, are an alternative to fresh air riding, albeit not the ideal.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,278 Posts
Ted,

To me the "balance and coordination is insufficient" falls under a medical condition. I plan to still be riding when I get to that point (hopefully) many moons from now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
133 Posts
billmeek said:
The only reason I'd ever consider adding a trike kit to my Burgman is if I had a medical condition that restricted me from safely holding the bike up. Like Paul said, part of the fun in riding is cutting up the twisties and you can't safely do that with a trike kit.
I've ridden some trikes that will outcorner a motorcycle; so you never know...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,278 Posts
Warren said:
I've ridden some trikes that will outcorner a motorcycle; so you never know...
I can understand how a trike could be more stable. But for the life of me can't figure out how a trike could out corner a regular 2 wheel bike. Anyone care to enlighten me?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
133 Posts
billmeek said:
Warren said:
I've ridden some trikes that will outcorner a motorcycle; so you never know...
I can understand how a trike could be more stable. But for the life of me can't figure out how a trike could out corner a regular 2 wheel bike. Anyone care to enlighten me?
I guess in the same way a well designed car can out-turn a bike? More tread on the gound, nothing to scrape, unilimited turning right up to the point it either slides or tips over I guess; hopefully it slides...

I rode a Goldwing 1800 with a Motortrike conversion, and you simply could not get it to come unglued (within reason). It was awful tough to hang on though! The regular wings could not keep up.

I doubt the little Instatrike is wide enough for that performance; it looks like fun though for a relaxing cruise without worrying about falling over... :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,278 Posts
Wish I could rent a MiniTrike kit to fit the 400 for the next couple of weeks. Maybe then I'd be riding rather than stranded without transportation. :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
118 Posts
The one couple I met at Scootercade with one of the conversions, had it added due to health issues with the husband, and the wife had a pretty serious accident on two wheels in a construction area and was still leary about riding again. They both love to ride and this was an alternative for them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,363 Posts
Warren said:
billmeek said:
Warren said:
I've ridden some trikes that will outcorner a motorcycle; so you never know...
I can understand how a trike could be more stable. But for the life of me can't figure out how a trike could out corner a regular 2 wheel bike. Anyone care to enlighten me?
I guess in the same way a well designed car can out-turn a bike? More tread on the gound, nothing to scrape, unilimited turning right up to the point it either slides or tips over I guess; hopefully it slides...

I rode a Goldwing 1800 with a Motortrike conversion, and you simply could not get it to come unglued (within reason). It was awful tough to hang on though! The regular wings could not keep up.

I doubt the little Instatrike is wide enough for that performance; it looks like fun though for a relaxing cruise without worrying about falling over... :D
Yes, a serious sports car with a good driver can definitely out-corner a motorcycle. A good driver can power steer with the rear wheels. I'm surprised at the handling feedback on the Goldwing trike. Those look gorgeous! There were two of them at Scootercade - spouse bikes no doubt. They are a whole different animal from these bolt-on "training wheel" Instatrike kits. But maybe the Instatrike does handle better than we think. The wheels do hang out quite a ways on each side. The terrain behind the motel at Scootercade was on a hill & the pavement wasn't too smooth. There were a couple of speed bumps, and lots of bumps thrown in by mother nature. One gal on an Instatrike AN650 seemed to ride through there faster at times than the regular scoots. She'd turn off the road, set her parking brake, hop off the scoot, and never break stride heading off to wherever. It seemed so unnatural to watch - she was like 20 feet away from the scoot by the time most riders would have finished parking.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
822 Posts
ted clement said:
Gents, remember that many of us are "ageing" pretty rapidly. Its only a matter of time till our balance and coordination is insufficient for 2 wheel riding. Three wheelers, or four, are an alternative to fresh air riding, albeit not the ideal.
We're all "aging" at the same speed! Age doesn't have anything to do with it. There's those with medical conditions in their 20's and those riding motorcycles in their 80's! A friend of mine's grandmother was slolemn water skiing at 94!! She fell, so her 89-year old boyfriend dove in off the boat to "save her" (she pushed him away 'cause she coud "take care of herself)!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
822 Posts
pauljo said:
I saw a few AN650s equipped with those at Scootercade. Most were being ridden by women. They seemed to be zipping around just fine. The vendor was there with a demo machine too - but I never got around to riding it. There were also some Honda Silverwings and at least one Helix equipped with the device. I didn't hear any bad feedback on them.
Please don't tell me they use the same tires the 650 does!! Those are hard enough to get as it is!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,363 Posts
chuck807 said:
pauljo said:
I saw a few AN650s equipped with those at Scootercade. Most were being ridden by women. They seemed to be zipping around just fine. The vendor was there with a demo machine too - but I never got around to riding it. There were also some Honda Silverwings and at least one Helix equipped with the device. I didn't hear any bad feedback on them.
Please don't tell me they use the same tires the 650 does!! Those are hard enough to get as it is!!
No they don't. They use a unique smaller tire - possibly even harder to get. :wink:
 
1 - 20 of 50 Posts
Top