Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Suzuki Burgman 650 ABS
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I actually started this on Monday but spent a little time each of a few days in my office modifying my electrical diagram for this install and also cutting the wire lengths and adding connectors as much as I could do without working on the Burgman. Temps were cooler during these days and I didn't want to be working on removing or installing plastic panels in cooler temps and risk breaking tabs. Yesterday was finally a warmer day with temps at least 60F or higher. It would be another 3-5 weeks before I'll likely see these temps again so since I was ready with the electrical and hardware work I took advantage of the warmer day to get this installed.

My 2013 Burgman 650 ABS (no Executive models that year) came with the factory backrest so that has to be removed before installing the plastic cover and top case mounting plate. I posted about removing the factory backrest in another thread in this forum so don't cover that here. Since another member around here posted instructions by attaching a PDF file to the post rather than writing it all in the post and attaching lots of photos I decided that was a very good idea so that's what I am doing here. Attached is a PDF file with the instructions and photos for doing this install. BTW- I don't think I mentioned this in the PDF file but the official Suzuki top case is actually a Kappa K49 top case with the Suzuki "S" circle logo on top in place of the Kappa logo. This box has a 47 Liter volume per Kappa.

I installed a Knight Riderz LED light bar with tail light and flashing brake light on the bottom rear of the top case mounting plate. I prefer this location since I want the extra LED bar still on the scooter even when I don't have the top case mounted. I don't intend to keep the top case mounted when just going out for ride around the county... unless I am also expecting to do some shopping while out and about. This location of the LED bar is still great being as high as many car third brake lights and the flashing brake is still very visible to anyone following.

Attached are a few photos and the document with detailed instructions.
IMG_20200319_161929.jpg IMG_20200319_161631.jpg IMG_20200319_161806.jpg IMG_20200319_161901.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
After re-reading the document I posted in the OP I found a few details I missed. So I updated that document and re-attached the corrected version.

Reactions: Dave_J

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
All I saw was about a 9 second video of the back of the bike and a little wind sound...no lights, flashing, etc.

I suppose it could have been running and the taillights on.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All I saw was about a 9 second video of the back of the bike and a little wind sound...no lights, flashing, etc.

I suppose it could have been running and the taillights on.
Next to the time indication you should see a "play" button. You have to click on that to get the video to play correctly. But I think you did get it to play, the sound anyway but maybe not the video. The LED light bar definitely flashes for 6 seconds (per state law in most states) and then goes solid on. The stock tail and brake lights don't do anything different... also per state law not allowing OEM lighting to be modified.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just found my old Givi top case liner/bag that I bought with my original Givi e52 top case that I put on my 2005 Burgman 650 many years ago. Haven't used it for several years and it's still in really great shape. Should work well in my "new" Suzuki/Kappa top case.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just found my old Givi top case liner/bag that I bought with my original Givi e52 top case that I put on my 2005 Burgman 650 many years ago. Haven't used it for several years and it's still in really great shape. Should work well in my "new" Suzuki/Kappa top case.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi, I just purchased a 2018 Burgman exec 650. I don't have the mount yet. Are you interested in selling your old Givi top case?

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@Skyloran , welcome to the forum.
My old Givi top case went with my 2005 Burgman 650 in 2009 when I sold that scooter. The only part I kept was the liner that I had originally bought with that setup. The Kappa K49 top case can be found for a very reasonable price on Google shopping and the mounting plate and cover and hardware is also available reasonably on the Suzuki Parts Nation web site where I shop for parts at discounted pricing. I like the official Suzuki mounting plate better than the Givi one since it is aluminum and very sturdy and costs less than the Givi mounting hardware... unless you already have the Givi hardware in which case I'd say stick with that. Givi and Kappa cases use all the same mountings. I have found the K49 case, at 47 Liters, to be plenty of storage for my needs.

·
Registered
21 Posts
@Skyloran , welcome to the forum.
My old Givi top case went with my 2005 Burgman 650 in 2009 when I sold that scooter. The only part I kept was the liner that I had originally bought with that setup. The Kappa K49 top case can be found for a very reasonable price on Google shopping and the mounting plate and cover and hardware is also available reasonably on the Suzuki Parts Nation web site where I shop for parts at discounted pricing. I like the official Suzuki mounting plate better than the Givi one since it is aluminum and very sturdy and costs less than the Givi mounting hardware... unless you already have the Givi hardware in which case I'd say stick with that. Givi and Kappa cases use all the same mountings. I have found the K49 case, at 47 Liters, to be plenty of storage for my needs.
Wow, thanks for the fast reply and where to look. This information is valuable to me.
Cheers Loran

·
Registered
21 Posts
Wow, thanks for the fast reply and where to look. This information is valuable to me.
Cheers Loran
I just looked at the Suzuki Parts Nation web site. It looks like the website doesn't shown parts for the 2018 AN650Z just yet so I sent them an email.

·
Administrator
19,947 Posts
You will need to look at 2017 for parts.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just looked at the Suzuki Parts Nation web site. It looks like the website doesn't shown parts for the 2018 AN650Z just yet so I sent them an email.
As Dave mentioned you should be able to look at the 2017 model year. All Burgman 650 Executive models from 2016-2018 are the same with only very very minor difference. The only item I have noticed to be different when I was test riding multiple models in 2018 is the grip heater control. On the 2016-2017 models the grip heater control was a block that hung below the left grip control cluster. On the 2018 model the grip heater control is a ring around the inner part of the left grip.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
is there a specific mounting bolt set for the suzuki metal plate to connect to the body? I have one for the 400 with no bolts (or spacers if it comes with them) and just curious what bolt set to get?
or is it a "go to hardware shop and buy what fits" routine?
thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
.......I installed a Knight Riderz LED light bar with tail light and flashing brake light on the bottom rear of the top case mounting plate. I prefer this location since I want the extra LED bar still on the scooter even when I don't have the top case mounted.
Wow, that's exactly what I did and also with the Knight Riderz LED bar. Only difference is that I put two of the LED bars on side by side so it's wider to see. And I painted my bracket black. But also mounted it to the underside of the rear GIVI rack. As you can see, I went with the Givi Rack and Givi cases setup. But like you I also ride sometimes with no cases at all and this location for the strobing brake light works just fine for visibility. Especially when travelling and you're taking the cases into the hotel room every night. Don't want to have to be fiddling around with disconnecting and re-connecting wires all the time.
I've had the Knight Riderz LED's for about 8 years now (on my second bike) and one or two of the LED's have stopped working, but the rest of them still work. At some point will have to change things up, but that can wait.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
is there a specific mounting bolt set for the suzuki metal plate to connect to the body? I have one for the 400 with no bolts (or spacers if it comes with them) and just curious what bolt set to get?
or is it a "go to hardware shop and buy what fits" routine?
thanks in advance
There is a specific mounting kit from Suzuki for the base plate that includes the plate, bolts and spacers. On the 650 one bolt/spacer is longer than the other two. It is specific to the 650 and very different than the 400. You can see the bolt/spacer kit in the photo with the keys in this classified thread (which is who I bought my setup from):
Suzuki Branded Monokey Top Case, Mount Bracket and Trim...

I don't know if there is a specific kit for the 400. But it is not that hard to get a few stainless steel bolts and spacers from the hardware shop. I would first find the mounting holes for your situation and use a scrap bolt (if you have one) to test fit for thread and bolt diameter. You'll need to measure carefully for how long you need the bolts to be. It is possible some will be a different length as it is on the 650. This measuring will also be for finding how long your spacers should be. When I did this same thing on my ST1100 I used brass bearings for my spacers since I couldn't find stainless ones. I simply searched at the shop for what fit the bolts I wanted. Don't forget washers for the top of the spacers under the bolt/mounting plate or possibly on top the mounting plate. Here is my document for when I made the base mounting for the top box I put on my ST1100. The base for the Bestem top case mounting plate I made from scratch inventing as I went along. There was no "kit" for that bike at the time I did this in 2010. It shows some of what I just wrote about here and may give you some ideas how to proceed.

Oh, and a little while after I put the Bestem case on my ST I then added the long Knight Riderz LED bar with sequential action and flashing brake light in the same location as I put it on my Burgman install above. I found that in some states the sequential action is not legal and subject to a fine. I was told that in some states the LEO will pull me over for it and in other states they will simply add that fine to something else IF I get pulled over. So I disconnected that part... unfortunately. I really liked the visibility that part added when not using the brakes even.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
I re-installed my GIVI Maxia 52 top case and GIVI E529 mounting plate for it on my 2013 that I had initially on my 2004 650, then my 2009 650 Exec and now 2013 650 exec. The E529 mounting base fit perfectly on the 2013, so if you own a 2013 to 2018 and have a E529 mounting plate and other GIVI top case you can reuse your previous GIVI components as I have and save many dollars, the mounting pattern and holes remain the same.

I need to get a few photos of my top case and mount on the 2013 as I never took any before.

Reactions: Steve_YYZ

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
And if you don't already have the E529 mounting bracket then the Suzuki official mounting base and kit will cost less to buy new than the Givi setup. That was one of the things I was closely looking into before I went with what I bought. I was about to buy new when I saw that classified thread for everything I needed. The tail cover plastic is very different on the 2013-2018 from the earlier model years but otherwise everything else should be the same. I did have the Givi set up on my 2005 Burgman 650 so this time everything, almost, was a rerun for me. The Suzuki official plate and mounting kit are totally compatible with the MonoKey cases from both Givi and Kappa. As I've said before, the official branded Suzuki top case is really a Kappa K49 (47 Liter) case.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Kapa is also a GIVI company sort of like Chevrolet / Pontiac or Ford / Mercury, several years back a GIVI person told me at a bike show than at one time both product lines were manufactured in the same building and same lines, do not know if that is still the case or not. Once upon a time there was lots of interchangeability between both product lines. He had also mention some differences between the two like base material and several other items which I have forgotten with the years. Got to love the products as they last and last and last.

rjs987 just love a white Burgman still the best looking and more importantly most visible Burgman 650.

Reactions: rjs987
1 - 20 of 31 Posts