Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have purchased Oxford heated grips and plan to install them on 2012 Burg 400. I would welcome advice on which tupperware to remove and attachment of the controller. I am not a hamfist but I am new to the 400. I previously owned an 08 650 but did not install anything new other than Kuryakyn grips.

Thanks!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Hey Deacon I installed them on a 650 so I can't comment on where to hook them up but I finally glued them to the grips to prevent turning ( something that isn't supposed to happen) otherwise I'm satisfied with them Mark

·
Registered
220 Posts
Cheap extra hold hair spray works for grip glue, been using it for 45 years, that is if they made hair spray 45 years ago. I now use heated gloves since I own several bikes, just move from bike to bike. There should be several tips on the install under the search button on this website on installation.

John

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I tried the search and checked all relevant links before I posted my inquiry. Didn't find the answer to my question. I'm sure I can plow thru the job, but I was hoping to hear from someone who had gone before.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I have purchased Oxford heated grips and plan to install them on 2012 Burg 400. I would welcome advice on which tupperware to remove and attachment of the controller. I am not a hamfist but I am new to the 400. I previously owned an 08 650 but did not install anything new other than Kuryakyn grips.

Thanks!
I have the Oxford heated grips on my '08 400......... I removed the plastic handlebar covers and ran the wires direct to the battery, cause i was lazy..tape them up snug...and cut a tiny notch with a round file in the battery door for the wire. The heat controller switch uses double sticky tape and mounted that just above the heated grip. The grips have never slipped around on the handlebars.
I have had them on for 4 years now.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks very much v8eyedoc!

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Connected mine to the live on the horn, that way they are switched by the ignition,
there is a plug but it is right up the right hand side of the Tupperware and nr impossible to get to, and in the end is only wired to the same horn circuit.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Same set as mine but I mounted the switch on top of the rear brake master cylinder a perfect fit.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Many thanks to both of you.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hi,
I just completed installing the Oxford grips on my 2011 B400. My controller is very different from the one shown in the above responses. Hopefully the link below shows the controller used in my version of the Oxford grips:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-ABow1R5cCfY/TnqXgoIasaI/AAAAAAAALO0/klBrTzhjixs/s1600/lrgscaleOxford-HotGrips-Sport-Switch.jpg

If so, the mounting is pretty tricky, as the unit sticks to a metal plate that mounts to the 2 screws that hold either brake unit onto the handlebars. Not an issue with most bikes but the Burgman tupperware gets totally in the way. If you are in this situation let me know and I'll take some pictures to show you where i made 'some cuts'. Hopefully you are one with your Dremel tool...

Otherwise the install went well. Refer to the videos online (micsbergsma) to know how to grind off the old white plastic under the stock grips (again, using a Dremel tool).

One conclusion I reached was that I really wanted a switched fuse box in my scoot for farkle such as these grips. The chance of leaving them on is just too great. So I purchased the Eastern Beaver PC8 and following the wiring diagrams on LeDudes site, my next project is to rewire the whole shottin' match.

BTW the heated grips are really nice. Next I want to add some heated clothings (one more reason for the switched fuse box). I learned researching this forum that a battery monitor gauge is a good idea so all this farkle doesn't beat your charging system in keeping the battery happy. So I ordered the Kuryakin unit which everyone likes.

So there you have it. One good farkle begs another good farkle. It never stops (I hope).

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Hi,
I just completed installing the Oxford grips on my 2011 B400. My controller is very different from the one shown in the above responses. Hopefully the link below shows the controller used in my version of the Oxford grips:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-ABow1R5cCfY/TnqXgoIasaI/AAAAAAAALO0/klBrTzhjixs/s1600/lrgscaleOxford-HotGrips-Sport-Switch.jpg

If so, the mounting is pretty tricky, as the unit sticks to a metal plate that mounts to the 2 screws that hold either brake unit onto the handlebars. Not an issue with most bikes but the Burgman tupperware gets totally in the way. If you are in this situation let me know and I'll take some pictures to show you where i made 'some cuts'. Hopefully you are one with your Dremel tool...

Otherwise the install went well. Refer to the videos online (micsbergsma) to know how to grind off the old white plastic under the stock grips (again, using a Dremel tool).

One conclusion I reached was that I really wanted a switched fuse box in my scoot for farkle such as these grips. The chance of leaving them on is just too great. So I purchased the Eastern Beaver PC8 and following the wiring diagrams on LeDudes site, my next project is to rewire the whole shottin' match.

BTW the heated grips are really nice. Next I want to add some heated clothings (one more reason for the switched fuse box). I learned researching this forum that a battery monitor gauge is a good idea so all this farkle doesn't beat your charging system in keeping the battery happy. So I ordered the Kuryakin unit which everyone likes.

So there you have it. One good farkle begs another good farkle. It never stops (I hope).

Good luck.
Oxford changed the heat controller unit from either FULL ON - or - OFF to an adjustable heat range. The pics I posted are from an installation I did about 4 years ago..... Yours is MUCH better.as I am constantly turning the Oxfords on & off.......!!!! I just looked at the Twisted Throttle website and Oxford make 2 models....yours are the "upscale" model and you had to replace your stock grips. the Basic Oxford which I have use velcro to wrap the heated grip over the stock grips.. Very easy install, too. AND..for your information.the Oxfords you have.....have a built-in "brain" which shuts off the grips if you forget to do that.......!!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mine is the more complicated install, including grip replacement and a 4-position controller. I would greatly appreciate as much tupperware related information on how your did yours, pdxstriper.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hi,
Well here you go. I wish I knew how to rotate these images as some of them are sideways. I will describe them in order.

Photo #1 is the finished product. Note the plug below the control unit. Below that plug is a hole that aligns with the upper mount screw head for the handbrake assembly. Hopefully your kit included the extended screw and spacer to make this all work. The plug is a standard 1/2" diameter plug I got at the local hardware store.

Note that the screw holes in the Oxford supplied bracket did not provide the necessary clearance - it needed to mount higher due to the Burgman tupperware. So rather than using to 2 screw hole in the bracket. I drilled one hole in the middle of the bracket.

photo 1.JPG

Photo #2 shows a close-up of the hole and plug. Note the bracket pops out and you can clearly see the unused factory hole for the upper screw (which, as mentioned above, would not work). So the hole I drilled in the bracket is roughly 1/2" below the upper factory hole. Note that the bracket came in an anodized silver finish. I thought it looked like crap so I painted it black.

photo 2.JPG

Photo #3 shows the hole plug removed. That screw head you see is the upper mounting screw for the handbrake assembly as supplied by Oxford. As previously mentioned, this one is longer than the factory one and has a 1/4" or so spacer. The spacer goes between the handbrake assembly and the bracket to give it enough clearance.

photo 3.JPG

Photo #4 gives the side from the center of the bike looking left. This is the tricky part. You are working blind here as the shape and fit of the tupperware doesn't allow you take precise measurements. I messed with it for an hour, made a line with a Sharpy, and made a slice with my Dremel tool. I was close enough, so I cut some more and there it is. A lot of pucker occurred during this phase.

photo 4.JPG

There you have it. If something is not clear ping me back and I'll try to make it all make sense.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
PDXStriper, I am in your debt! I made good use of the information you provided, especially the 4 clear photos to complete heated grips installation yesterday. The whole job took about 8 hours over 2 days, due in large part to unfamiliarity with tupperware removal on the 400. However, all ended very well and if I were to do it again, it would take no more than half the time. Thanks again for your detailed help!

·
Registered
78 Posts
PDXStriper, I am in your debt! I made good use of the information you provided, especially the 4 clear photos to complete heated grips installation yesterday. The whole job took about 8 hours over 2 days, due in large part to unfamiliarity with tupperware removal on the 400. However, all ended very well and if I were to do it again, it would take no more than half the time. Thanks again for your detailed help!
My pleasure! I am glad it worked out for you. Next you gotta tackle the switched circuit box - then you are prep'd for even more farkle!
Pete

·
Registered
11 Posts
Use grip glue..otherwise when you turn up the heat and they expand they will slip on the throttle tube http://motors.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=throttle+tube impeding the acceleration process. This has the effect of making the bike seem slow to your co-riders who will tease you. You will then turn your grip heaters off and ride with cold hands at -5....or at least thats what happened to me last week...only problem was my hands were so cold I almost ran into the back of a pickup as I accelerated through 160....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Finally got enough sun to dry off after weeks of fog in SW Oregon. The new heated grips are absolutely great. Plenty of heat at 2nd of 4 heat levels. New Bearcat backrest is great, too. Can't wait for some consistently good weather. I guess that's that case for about 85% of the country right now.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Tell me about it - even down in Florida I was riding through a cold rain to work tonight.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts